3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2008
    Ghettohood - SW Houston

cbp210

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2013
    Humble, TX

I am usually pro law enforcement but this case along with some others shows that corruption runs high in that department needs to be dealt with swiftly and everyone including former Chief Acevedo needs to be held accountable to the fullest. These people were murdered plain and simple and justice still has not been served for them. I remember that day real well Acevedo was blaming NRA and 2A people on that incident as some of the officer were severely injured on that raid and he had to backtrack fast when Goines was caught trying to plant drugs on the scene but thankfully he got caught. Always have cameras and keep them up to date and record.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    Is he still out on bond? He's going to die of old age before he goes to prison at this rate - but I'm wondering how he's supporting himself.

Eli

His police pension. Apparently he was eligible to retire when he decided to murder some folks and try to be the big hero. And since he was a cop, apparently they were required to have a review before they could fire him. He announced his retirement at the beginning of the first meeting for that review. So he gets his pension and retirement benefits, even though he's as corrupt as they come.

cbp210

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2013
    Humble, TX
    Why is the City of Houston using City money to defend these criminals? There were no checks and balances, despite the appearance there was, the HPD Narcotics Squad was a completely rogue operation with countless allegations of such against it.

Thankfully, I was never targeted!

Eli
    I will tell you why. Acevedo has dirt on Mayor Sylvester Turner. Same reason why Turner never showed up to the previous Mayor candidate debates where all candidates who attended indicated they intend to fire Acevedo once elected.

cbp210

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2013
    Humble, TX
    His police pension. Apparently he was eligible to retire when he decided to murder some folks and try to be the big hero. And since he was a cop, apparently they were required to have a review before they could fire him. He announced his retirement at the beginning of the first meeting for that review. So he gets his pension and retirement benefits, even though he's as corrupt as they come.

LAPD Rampart division officers did the same thing before getting charged with corruption. If anyone recalls that case. The whole division from officers to higher ups were on the take with drug dealers. A repeat of the NYPD Serpico incident.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    If they can successfully defend the former cops who committed the murders, then the city won't be on the hook for an even more expensive civil suit from the families of the victims...

Not really. The level of proof for murder is much higher than being responsible in a civil suit. Much lower bar in a civil suit.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    Not really. The level of proof for murder is much higher than being responsible in a civil suit. Much lower bar in a civil suit.

Seems to me that the city would have a stronger defense against liability for the criminal actions of its police officers if those officers are found "not guilty". But most of my legal knowledge comes from watching old "Perry Mason" reruns in syndication.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Seems to me that the city would have a stronger defense against liability for the criminal actions of its police officers if those officers are found "not guilty". But most of my legal knowledge comes from watching old "Perry Mason" reruns in syndication.

There’s two civil suits against HPD by the estate. One alleges Tuttle’s 4A unreasonable search protections were violated resulting in his being deprived of life, which are violations of 42 USC 1983 and the municipality is liable because it knew there was a history of a bunch of allegations related to Goines’ excessive force and no-knock warrant practices and therefore should have investigated him, but did not.

I don’t know what the other suit is, but I’ll guess it’s Nichols’ estate doing the same thing.

All that means is that regardless of the criminal trial outcome, it’s alleged HPD (and Acevedo) knew or should have known (through complaints) that Goines was creating probable cause out of thin air to conduct illegal searches and using excessive force when executing these searches AND HPD/Acevedo did nothing to stop it.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    There’s two civil suits against HPD by the estate. One alleges Tuttle’s 4A unreasonable search protections were violated resulting in his being deprived of life, which are violations of 42 USC 1983 and the municipality is liable because it knew there was a history of a bunch of allegations related to Goines’ excessive force and no-knock warrant practices and therefore should have investigated him, but did not.

I don’t know what the other suit is, but I’ll guess it’s Nichols’ estate doing the same thing.

All that means is that regardless of the criminal trial outcome, it’s alleged HPD (and Acevedo) knew or should have known (through complaints) that Goines was creating probable cause out of thin air to conduct illegal searches and using excessive force when executing these searches AND HPD/Acevedo did nothing to stop it.

Well, that's good. Then the city is a LOT less justified in their reasoning to defend Goines...maybe it's just something they're stuck doing since he was on duty as a cop when he committed murder? I dunno. But he needs to go away forever, either in a cell or at the end of a needle.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Police Chiefs and upper management are not covered under union contracts and considered non bargaining unit members.

Unless the City is covering the expenses due to another (non-union) contractual obligation since the Chief is an employee of the city.

Top Bottom