• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    1. I'm glad the guy didn't get shot (if for no other reason than the peace of mind for the police officers).
    2. The Chronicle did it's usual job of sloppy reporting.
    3. Two cops fired, at fairly close range, and missed? They should be forced to spend serious time on the shooting range.
    Capitol Armory ad

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Police seldom "train" after the academy. The state only requires qualification once a year, and it is almost as lame as the CHL test. Blame lack of funding for departments.

Blame the lack of funding? On the contrary ... blame the lack of ambition and drive for the cops to get out there like the rest of us and train. I make half or less than half than the cops that we give discounts to at the range and I have been able, to date, outshoot every single one of them. It's THEIR life on the line when these situations go down, and it's THEIR responsibility to develop the skills necessary to protect themselves, NOT the taxpayers.

I have a differing opinion of a small town cop earning $30K a year raising a family, but this big town cops turning out $40 - 100K a year have absolutely NO excuse to not be out there training.

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    I have been able, to date, outshoot every single one of them.

I agree they should be ambitious enough to train on their own, what they make or what you make is irrelevent. We have a range that is free to use and ammo is also free....most still dont want to do it if they arent getting paid. But I believe that there are other skills that officers can develop that will save their lives long before firearms proficiency will. Ones people skills and ability to de-escalate a situation are used 1000 times more often than firearms, yet cops never work to improve these skills.

As far as you outshooting them....dont you spend 40+ hours a week at a gun range? I would hope you can outshoot them.
    You would definately be my point man on an entry team.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    I agree they should be ambitious enough to train on their own, what they make or what you make is irrelevent. We have a range that is free to use and ammo is also free....most still dont want to do it if they arent getting paid. But I believe that there are other skills that officers can develop that will save their lives long before firearms proficiency will. Ones people skills and ability to de-escalate a situation are used 1000 times more often than firearms, yet cops never work to improve these skills.

It's like any job really ... you have those that care, and those that care enough to get their check.

As far as you outshooting them....dont you spend 40+ hours a week at a gun range? I would hope you can outshoot them.
    You would definately be my point man on an entry team.

I do ... but my shooting skills were earned before I started working at Red's.

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    and for that they are FOOLS!! it is ALSO their responsibilty to protect themselves for their familys sake if anything else!! so i guess just too lazy or too stupid to become very good with their #1 cop tool that could possibly save their life !!

Kinda strong accusation skeeter, and as I mentioned earlier, a gun is not a cops #1 tool.
    Many are not gun nuts like many of us are. Most have families and other things in life that just consume their time. Some feel that once a year quals are good enough. Most of the time, they are right.
    For me, I prefer to go above what is the bare minimum requirement.

texas skeeter

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Somewhere here nor there....
    im not against any Police officer of any type!! Im just saying being a cop also makes them a target in the Criminals mind. and with that they should go OVER AND ABOVE any yearly qual. when it comes to there weapons. and yes you are correct, their gun is their 2nd tool as using their head is #1!!! to make me great at what i do for a living which makes me prosperous i have mastered my tools, an officer should do the same regarding the use of their weapon is all im trying to get at. why be avg or a Barney Fife in a gun fight?? its just stupid when it comes to guns!!

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    and for that they are FOOLS!! it is ALSO their responsibilty to protect themselves for their familys sake if anything else!! so i guess just too lazy or too stupid to become very good with their #1 cop tool that could possibly save their life !!

A gun is not a cops "#1 tool". The overwhelming majority of cops will never fire their weapon.

Like I have said before, get on the inside of the badge for a while for a real perspective.

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    The gun may not be a LEO's #1 tool, but it is one that he/she is expected to use, including in high anxiety situations. Look at it this way: if the cop can't HIT an intended target, he MAY hit an unintended target.

I've seen cops at the shooting range that were terrific shots. And I've seen cops that make me wonder how they ever qualified.

IMHO, if you carry a gun in your line of work, you need to take the time to make sure that you can shoot it accurately and reliably. Same goes for CHLs.

As for the invitation, TXI, sign me up!! Sounds like fun!!

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Police seldom "train" after the academy. The state only requires qualification once a year, and it is almost as lame as the CHL test. Blame lack of funding for departments.
    What happened to professional enthusiasm? I spend a lot of personal time and money on books, reading, and research pertaining to my profession. I like to be able to do the best job I can. There are many people at my work that complain there's no training budget and they don't know this or that because the company won't sponsor them to goto a training class. What's really sad is most of the information they seek could be found for free on the internet. Apathy and entitlement at it's finest... I guess there are people like that in all professions.

zembonez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Republic of Texas
    back to the topic...

Am I the only one who thinks it's a tad suspect that the "Business Owner" chambered a round when confronted by police officers? I'd bet there are some irregularities in that man's "business".

HydroMonster

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 7, 2010
    USA
    No, it does not. If you were a cop watching a building and and armed man approaced, refused your orders to drop his weapon, what would YOU do?

Unfortunately, this is not the first time, nor will it be the last (I suspect) that the police are on scene and encounter an armed home/business ower. If you see a uniformed cop pointing a gun at you COOPERATE!

I would raise my hands, introduce myself as the business owner and cooperate slowly. However, here's the latest news from the latest article posted:

"Cause they hear us unlocking the door, and right now they're already shooting. It's about two or three seconds," Brown told us as watched the video with us. When we asked him if they identified themselves as police officers, Brown replied, "No."

It's hard to tell from the video, but I think that the officers started firing when they saw the two storming out of the door with guns.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    setter1
    Top Bottom