• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PaknSiG

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2009
    Ft. Worth area
    haze10,

There are about three outdoor ranges in our area. The one closest to you would the the Johnson County Shooting Sports Association. It is a members only range.

Johnson County Shooting Sports Association

Another which is east of Burleson is the Arlington Sportsman's Club, also members only outdoor range.

The Arlington Sportsman's Club

There are several indoor ranges but none that are members only that I know of.

TM

Economist

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 7, 2009
    Like Haze10, I have been extremely disappointed with the ranges in the DFW area, and in Texas as a whole.

The range I am a member of in Massachusetts is, simply put, unbelievable. For $150/year ($15 for students/juniors/spouses), you have unlimited access to all the club's facilities. Times are sunrise to sunset. There are no RSOs. You are in charge of being the safety officer for yourself and those around you. No, it is not an insurance nightmare. We have over 1,000 members and have had no problems, even being in one of the more liberal-heavy towns in Massachusetts. The club is approximately 30-40 minutes outside of Boston.

Our facilities include:

Indoor 25 yard range for handguns and .22 rifles.
    7, 25, and 50 yard range for pistols, handguns, and shotguns.
    75 yard rifle range.
    100 yard rifle range.
    200 yard rifle range.
    300 yard rifle range.
    Trap/skeet range.
    Class III Rifle Range.
    Class III Subgun Range.
    6 different private ranges - first come, first serve, with 270-degree birms. You make the rules at these ranges. You can go alone and practice whatever you'd like. Bring friends and shoot plates. Completely up to you, so long as you're safe.
    Stocked pond for fishers
    The rest of the club's property is designated hunting land, which is also stocked.

http://www.harvardsportsmensclub.com/index.html

I have not heard of or seen a club like this anywhere within reasonable driving distance of the major cities in Texas.

What Texas has, that Massachusetts does not, is land. This is the source of my disappointment. If Massachusetts is able to have ranges like the one I've described, there's no reason why Texas can't do even better.

Now that I'm done complaining/bragging, I'll admit that this is all pretty moot since I have nowhere near the financial resources necessary to solve the problem. Maybe one day...

robocop10mm

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 9, 2009
    Round Rock
    We need to start a TGT group buy of lottery tickets. When the group hits, we build a range. If we hit powerball or mega millions, we build ranges near all the major metro areas.

JohnnyReb

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    DFW area
    I tried to contact the Johnson County Shooting Sports Association about membership as it is the closet range to me since I live in Cleburne. They told me membership was by referal only. That sucks! Texas CQB in Burleson has a good indoor range as they also rent handguns as well as teach CHL classes. However, I have to drive to Fort Worth or Glen Rose for an outdoor range, and I don't like any of them as much as a private range I shoot at in Hobbs, NM when my wife and I visit her parents. It's a private range that has everything you need in a range. The cost is NRA membership and $35 a year gets you a key. I love that place....rapid fire, fmj's, shoot whatever you feel like bringing out there.....and best of all....no range officer giving attitude!

Texas Solo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2008
    San Antonio
    Like Haze10, I have been extremely disappointed with the ranges in the DFW area, and in Texas as a whole.

The range I am a member of in Massachusetts is, simply put, unbelievable. For $150/year ($15 for students/juniors/spouses), you have unlimited access to all the club's facilities. Times are sunrise to sunset. There are no RSOs. You are in charge of being the safety officer for yourself and those around you. No, it is not an insurance nightmare. We have over 1,000 members and have had no problems, even being in one of the more liberal-heavy towns in Massachusetts. The club is approximately 30-40 minutes outside of Boston.

I have not heard of or seen a club like this anywhere within reasonable driving distance of the major cities in Texas.
    . If Massachusetts is able to have ranges like the one I've described, there's no reason why Texas can't do even better.

DITTO!! I left Maryland (another gun hating state) when I retired. I never thought that I would not be able to find a club like the one I had.
    $150 annual dues got me my own key and unlimited access to outdoor & indoor pistol ranges, 100 & 200 rifle range, trap,skeet and sporting clays, archery range,
    hunting, and tons of organized events. There were 575 members.

here's the trick...the land (1000 acres) was donated by a local company as "junk" land. The owner was a gun guy. With that many members, we had construction guys, carpenters, plumbers, electricians, etc etc etc. EVERYBODY volunteered their services.

What the OP failed to mention is that you'll need a board of directors, to include a Prez, VP, treasurer, ways&means, etc etc. You'll need committee chairs who are willing to organize events and a "work" team for each type of shooting discipline. You'll need tax and insurance guys and a lawyer. (members covered this for us)

Bottom line is that there is much more involved than just building a range....you need to build a club. And that clubs success is dependent on it's members.

But I do have to agree with the OP in that I never expected to be as limited as I am here. Hours of operation, range fees, some of the rules like no rapid fire, and
    worst of all is that there is no comradery. I probably knew 300 of our 575 members. Members would always help other members. We found each other jobs, fixed cars, etc etc.
    We all saved 1000's of dollars that way. When my A/C died, I got it fixed for free by another member. I always felt like the club "had my back".

brazosriver

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2010
    Granbury, Texas
    I live in granbury and agree the choises are few. I usually go to Georges in Glen Rose, it is an outdoor range. It is not great but seldom crowded. A way you might get into Johnson County Shooting Range is to attend some of Cross Timbers IDPA matches that are held there on the 2nd and 4th Sunday of each month. Contact Cross Timbers at WWW.ctidpa.com, they are out of Fort Worth. Like most of you I would be happy to pay $150 a year for range use. On Target is a indoor range on HWY 377 that is good and the owner is a great guy. If anyone near Granbury would like to get toghether and go shooting sometime let me know. I have weird work schedules but always glad to shoot when I can.

jimbo

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    north richland hills, texas
    All that sounds good but also sounds like a lot of trouble and time. I sometimes use an outside range where I got my CHP training. It is located a couple of miles north of the Texas Motor Speedway on I35w.
    It is pay as you go but you can buy a multiple day pass for a few $ cheaper. Here is the website. Quail Creek Shooting Range

I would love to have a place for $150 to $200 a year to shoot as much as you want.

Economist

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 7, 2009
    I would love to have a place for $150 to $200 a year to shoot as much as you want.

This is another frustration. The vast majority of ranges charge an hourly or daily range fee. In my opinion, that's absurd. I'd pay even $200 for 24/7 unlimited access to just a handgun range. For the amount of shooting I'd like to do, paying upwards of $10 per trip is simply unaffordable.

texas skeeter

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Somewhere here nor there....
    well if anything does ever get going/ started about a local range, im in!! ive got a few bucks to invest and would ABSOLUTELY want to be a member and donate time and material to build it!! just p.m. me if you want or need my assistance. TS

gandalf23

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2010
    Ft. Worth
    There is a list of a lot of the ranges in DFW, at least as of a few years ago, here: Places to Shoot in North Texas - GunCounter

Two that might be close to you in Grandbury are:

Parker County Sportsman Club Website: Parker County Sportsman Club Phone: ? Address: 6700 Advance Rd, Poolville, TX 76487 Hours: Open from sun up to sun down 7 days a week, 365 days a year. Fees: Club membership. $60 annually, with $50 initiation fee. Highlights: There are 4 ranges: Pistol 50 yards, rifle 100 and 275 yards and the shotgun range. The clubhouse and heated restrooms are surrounded by graveled parking area. We also have two manual operated trap stations for shot gunning, with automated trap and combination field concrete work being done this spring. We utilize a bulletin board for current events at the clubhouse. Monthly newsletter to keep members informed of activities. Website and email contact. Tilt wall 10X20 supply storage building to keep the maintenance items in good shape. The clubhouse is available for meetings, classes, etc.

Tacpro Shooting Center Website: Tacpro Shooting Center Phone: 254-968-3112 Address: 35100 North State Hwy 108, Mingus, TX 76463 Hours: 8AM - dusk Fees: $25/day, $15/half-day (non-members). $10/$5 for members. $125 annual membership. Highlights: The 550 acre Shooting Center facilities include a gun store specializing in products for tactical professionals, Law Enforcement and competition shooters, classrooms with covered firing point, restrooms and refreshment machines, outdoor pistol, tactical shotgun and Subgun ranges, with paper and reactive steel targets. The Center also can accommodate shooting up to 1000-yard rifle (50 cals welcome), as well as a sporting clay layout. Bench/seated/standing/prone all allowed.

AR1911

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Do you guys know about Haltom City Rifle & Pistol Club? They have a nice outdoor range at Hwy 121 & Minnis Dr.
    It sounds just like those clubs back east. Annual dues about $125, NRA membership required.
    You have to be approved by the membership at one of their monthly dinner meetings, sounds like an informal process.
    I'm in Keller, just haven't gotten around to joining.

You guys in Cleburne might check out that indoor range between Joshua and Burleson in 174. I forget the name, but it's the same people that own CTD> Nice folks, nice range.

Economist

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 7, 2009
    I was optimistic about HCR&P until I read their range rules:

- Shooting only allowed when accompanied by an RSO
    - No loading magazines to more than 5 rounds
    - No drawing from a holster

Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    i think this is a great idea.

though it does seem to be cost prohibitive.

now what i'm thinking could save alot of cash, is not having a whole big assed indoor section an bunch of benches electric target carriers and blah blah blah.
    why not jsut have a few bundles of stakes, (to staple your targets to)
    a line, either chalked like a baseline or a line of rocks or stepping stones to designate a firing line, (noone to fire behind said line)
    a berm 100-300 yards out.

bring shooting sticks or go prone if you need to do serious sighting, otherwise wait for your ceasefire and go and setup your targets. done.
    enjoy the range.

the problem of getting the land remains.

now if somone very freindly and supportive is willing to allow the use of some land for this prupose, ill get a shovel and make the berm myself. we could chip in a few bucks a piece to the kind soul that allows this, and he can put that twoards his proerty taxes. no need to get the state city or county involved, jsut sign a waiver that says "if i get shot i wont sue the landowner" or whatever.

just my $0.02

texas skeeter

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Somewhere here nor there....
    great idea Wolfy, but i think those days are long gone. as Everyone seems to be sue happy lately. but if one nice soul did offer up some private land to shoot on up here, i'd pay for the dozer equip usage and pay for and build a nice covered multiple shooting station. and im sure a lawyer or 2 around here would help writing up the waiver. and as for that HCR&P range above, sounds like a BAD rule magnet, ill make sure im doing a 100mph when i drive past it!

Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    you can choose your miles per gallon rate?
    what the hell do you drive? and why would you go less than 100mpg going anywhere?

ok so you might have meant mph ;)
    ill give you that one. but yeah my idea of the waiver was intended to safeguard the owner form legal responsibilities.... where the hell is TXI?

Top Bottom