7   0   0
    Sep 25, 2018
    Cut n Shoot, Texas

cbp210

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2013
    Humble, TX
    A LEASE OR HUNTING PRIVATE LAND YOU CAL HAVE FOOD PLOTS FEEDERS AND LEAVE YOUR DEER STANDS WHICH YOU CAN'T DO ON PUBLIC LAND
    Unfortunately in some leased lands you still run the risk of your stuff getting stolen. In my past it was usually shady lease members or shady ranch workers. Reason why I sticked to hunting wife family land.

RevolverGuy

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2013
    I don’t “hunt” big game much anymore because most of it isn’t really hunting, IMO.

Most of what passes for hunting is being led by a guide and told what/when to shoot, or sitting a baited blind.

To me, that’s just shooting. Hunting is exploring a large area, getting familiar with it, reading sign, and then stalking or ambushing the game.

There’s not many places in Texas that can be done anymore.

Now I do shoot feral hogs on a small rural property I own. But the only real hunting I do is turkey.

Lonesome Dove

A man of vision but with no mission.
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 25, 2018
    Cut n Shoot, Texas
    I don’t “hunt” big game much anymore because most of it isn’t really hunting, IMO.

Most of what passes for hunting is being led by a guide and told what/when to shoot, or sitting a baited blind.

To me, that’s just shooting. Hunting is exploring a large area, getting familiar with it, reading sign, and then stalking or ambushing the game.

There’s not many places in Texas that can be done anymore.

Now I do shoot feral hogs on a small rural property I own. But the only real hunting I do is turkey.
    Truth Blind or stand hunting aint hunting. It's OK to rid of pigs but for deer not so much. I've done it and it's quite boring. Walking and stalking is the only way to do it for me. Probably why I love hunting Mule deer in the desert and mountain region's.

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    You know everything being discussed is in the regs.

Starting to think you’re from Sweet Home.

Regs should be everyone's first stop. And since OP seems kinda clueless - even though he's a vet and doesnt' need it - I'd take the safety course to brush up and maybe pick up some pointers he's forgotten along the way. Even though he survived hunting public lands in the Tillamook State Forest where every inbred fucktard from Estacada on westward shoots at leaves blowing in the breeze, and the fucking mushroom hunters will jump in front of a buck because they see a goddamned Morel growing on a rotten piece of cedar while dressed all in earth tones... oy veh.

Sweet Home?

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Hey, its not that bad, especially if you've got an attractive cousin or sibling there!

Yes it is.

Sweet home is also a place where couples look related.

Estacada of the central valley...

Ah, like Drain.

Or Estacada of the South Valley...

Hey, I have friends in Drain!

You ever fish the Umpqua for smallmouth bass? The put-in at Elkton is a hoot in my 18' drift boat!! The sides of the channel are 1' from the side of the boat. Oars have to be lifted to miss the rocks. No mistakes...

60-90 fish an hour in the summer is not uncommon east of Elkton. The shad run is great on the Big-K loop. Springers were fun on slow rolling anchovy, but fall salmon on plugs was the thrill.

Unlike the Rogue or Willamette, every rock on the Umpqua is anchored to the earth’s core.

Are you a Tomaslli’s or an Arlene’s guy?

Fished most weekends from my North River. Reedsport, Winchester Bay, Florence, but could walk down to the river before and after work to fish the shoreline.

Fu@k Portland for ruining that state.

You and bbbass are making me miss Oregon now. Stop that shit! :laughing: Honestly miss the rivers, the lakes, the mountains and the forest. I don't miss the pronouns-on-their-sleeves, ANTIFA, basement dwelling retards of the Willamette Valley and the fubar political landscape.

There are only 2 real places to eat in Elkton. Folks are categorized by where they eat. lol

My late cousin used to work at Tomaslli's in Elkton. I don't remember if he was a cook or a waiter there. IIRC he left that place to go work at a chinese place near Reedsport before he died.

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    Truth Blind or stand hunting aint hunting. It's OK to rid of pigs but for deer not so much. I've done it and it's quite boring. Walking and stalking is the only way to do it for me. Probably why I love hunting Mule deer in the desert and mountain region's.

Difference between hunting, and harvesting. If you're just filling a freezer for meat, stand hunting is alright. But real hunting includes the stalk, and a higher chance of getting skunked.

Sam Colt

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Austin
    My late cousin used to work at Tomaslli's in Elkton. I don't remember if he was a cook or a waiter there. IIRC he left that place to go work at a chinese place near Reedsport before he died.
    I probably et some o' his handiwork. Everything at Arlene's tasted like chicken fried ass to me.

RevolverGuy

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2013

Same here. I like to get out & explore.

I have done a good bit of stand hunting in my time, but never with bait and always in home-made ladder stands that I could move around to where the sign led me.

You do get to see some interesting things, like when I put a stand next to a young bobcats den, or a hawk mistaking my face for food in the pre-dawn light (that’ll wake you up.)

RevolverGuy

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2013
    Difference between hunting, and harvesting. If you're just filling a freezer for meat, stand hunting is alright. But real hunting includes the stalk, and a higher chance of getting skunked.

With the rigs I see on the road in the fall, 3/4 ton truck loaded with a $2,000+ commercial blind, $800 feeder, $20,000 ATV on a trailer, who knows how many cellular trail cams, plus the cost of a lease, I think buying a side of beef might be the more economical option.

Then there’s the time & effort involved in setting everything up, keeping feeders loaded, maintaining all that equipment. That’s just tedious work to me.

I’d much rather spend my time & energy having fun exploring, even if I don’t shoot anything.

Top Bottom