How long does it usually take?

Discussion in 'Gun Legislation' started by onac255, Mar 7, 2009.

1. onac255

onac255 Active Member

Mar 2, 2008
    El Paso, TX
    How long does it take for ATF to give the green light when they put a hold on a firearm purchase?

Thanks in Advance.

2. Texas1911

Texas1911 TGT Addict

May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    1 - 3 Days

Sometimes it can be the same day.

3. onac255

onac255 Active Member

Mar 2, 2008
    El Paso, TX
    Thanks Alan. I figured it be that long but since it is the weekend I knew they would be busy so I probably won't get a call till Monday...oh well.

I really wanted to try my new gun this weekend but i guess not.

4. Texas1911

Texas1911 TGT Addict

May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Busy is better. They don't pile things up, separate people do the "hold" investigations than the poor bastards that answer the phone for the original NICS check.

The reason I say "busy is better" is because most of the "call-backs" are done when you call in another NICS check. They will say they have additional checks completed and they can write down the NICS number along with the proceed, hold, or deny.

5. onac255

onac255 Active Member

Mar 2, 2008
    El Paso, TX
    Wait...so will NCIS call Academy and then Academy will call me or do I have to call Academy and remind them?

6. mac79912

mac79912 Well-Known

Mar 4, 2008
    NICS is supposed to call Academy.They got your number right?I used to work at Academy and the policy was to cancel the transaction and put the gun back in the case.Call the manager(Leo) immediately to make sure.Three working days does not include Sunday which totally sucks.You may have been approved already so you will need to call.I got us another 1911 for us to shoot at the meet and I was not delayed.But since the gunshow had heavy traffic maybe you were delayed because of it.Good luck.I know you must be angry and I do not blame you.Let us know what happened.

7. onac255

onac255 Active Member

Mar 2, 2008
    El Paso, TX
    The guy at the counter said they would hold the gun for 30 days and he said it would likely be monday when they call because they would be busy on the weekends due to all the gun shows.

8. Texas1911

Texas1911 TGT Addict

May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    30 days? ... No.

They gave whomever called it in the release date, it will have been (or should have) written down on the 2nd page. If the FBI doesn't call back by that date then the transaction can take place. Generally the dates are within 3 - 5 days.

I work weekends and rarely do I have trouble getting feedback or ahold of the NICS people. The longest I've been on hold is about 1 minute.

9. onac255

onac255 Active Member

Mar 2, 2008
    El Paso, TX
    That is what the guy working at Academy told me.

that they would not sell the gun up for up to 30 days.

He said the hold should be taken off within 3 working days. Sundays don't count I guess so here is hoping that tomorrow is my lucky day that I get to bring the gun home.

10. Texas1911

Texas1911 TGT Addict

May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Again, the NICS people gave him a date that the transaction can continue. Evidently it's company policy for the 30 days.