• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Charley

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    San Antonio
    The post about "trusting reloads" started me to wondering, just how many here are handloaders? Doesn't seem to be a majority, based on the "I saw ammunition at Walmart" type threads.
    Just curious. Do you handload, how long, and what calibers?

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    'nuther handloader

Hey there Charley, even though I'm kind of a young buck(31), I have been shooting since I was about 10 years old. This last year in late 08' I decided to start reloading for my 45LC. Now I keep over half a dozen different powders and a few K of primers and brass around to produce both "new" ammo as well as reloads. In a short 4 months, I have decided to reload for almost every caliber I own(9mm, 45acp,45LC,223,280,etc.) My current loads for the 45LC exceed the accuracy of almost every "factory" bullet I have put through my gun and at about 1/3 to 1/4 of the price of new ammo. Now is a terrible time to start reloading due to everything being overpriced or unavailable. In spite of all that, reloading is one of the most rewarding hobbies I have ever had. Start collecting your brass and by the time you have enough to reload there might be some components out there worth the money.

MadMo44Mag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Ft.Worth
    Started shooting and hand loading back in 75 while still in high school.
    You do the math.LOL!!!
    Went from a signal stage for pistol ammo to a progressive in 82.
    Bought my second progressive in 91 ( i think) after wearing out my old Lee 1000.
    Replaced it with a Hornaday Pro-jector I found on sale for 225.00 complete with dies and shell plate. The gun store owner threw in for $60.00 more, two more diff caliber dies and shell plates.
    Still load rifle ammo on a signal stage. Would never consider loading rifle ammo on a progressive. To many variables that must be kept in check to produce high quality ammo for a rifle.
    I still check the ammo counter at the store so I can report to my non reloading friends.

Rifleman55

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    I started loading my own in 64, and load a bunch of different calibers, I have dies that I dont own guns in those calibers, My newest is 9mm, I have powder,primers and bullets on order, I just set the SDB for 9mm.

Top Bottom