Hurley's Gold

How much could you pay for a Stetson cowboy hat?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kyletxria1911a1

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    kyletx
    I think I will save it for one of my grandsons.
    8cdc5312-dae6-497e-91c9-d1edd030ed1b.gif.gif

Ingramite

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2017
    Hill Country
    My best hat story-

A friend of the wife puts her on alert of a yard sale in Johnson City that's supposed to have some LBJ memorabilia.
    I'm still making payments on the last time she went on a sale with this same pal. Anyway I get a seat in the car and away we go.

Upon arrival I meet with the seller who is busy conducting hat handling class before letting anyone touch three silverbelly Stetson Open Road hats he has on the block. When I finally get to pick one up, forget about trying it on, I see the gold initials on the sweatband.... Honey, pay the man!

I'd already done my homework so I know that LBJ wore the same size of hat that I do. The seller told me that when it was MY hat I could try it on.
    I damn sure did too. Just as soon as I paid him with one hand the hat went on my head with the other. It fit like a glove and I'm grinnin like a mule eating briar. See, I've never owned anything like this before.

My Stetson goes back in the box that also has some markings lending to the legitimacy. The box with the hat goes in the trunk for the ride home.
    I know that we have to go through Fredericksburg on the way home and if these ladies get out of the car there....I might not get to examine that hat until tomorrow.

Funny but as soon as I bought it I was hit by this lightening bolt realization. Did I buy a hat or an artifact with historical significance?
    Was I gonna wear it or just look at it? I paid way too much for it and I'd hate to mess it up. Ok, top shelf of the closet, in the box. I'm not even a real LBJ fan. After about a month of this I'm not even wanting to open the closet door, ate up with buyers remorse and nag bit about a hat that I won't wear.

But I got to open that closet once in a while and when I do I'm starting to notice that something ain't too fresh in there. The first time I noticed it I'm like how can I smell my feet when I got my boots on? Then it got worse. When I finally pulled that hatbox down the whole back half of it was stained and discolored....yeah, cat piss. I guess our cat wasn't an LBJ fan either.

If I burned that hat I wouldn't want to stand in the smoke, that bad. My wife ain't letting up on me either. I can't look at a new hat without being reminded of the last one I bought. Her cat does no wrong so all I hear is that it wouldn't have got pissed on if I was wearing it.

The hat?
    I ended up selling it in a yard sale.

kenboyles72

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2017
    Gladewater,TX
    I am a rancher, my family was ranchers and I have never bought a Stetson. To real ranchers and cowboys, a Stetson is just a show piece, "look at how much money I have.." it's the same thing as exotic cars and shit. They serve no purpose but for looks. Most of my hats have been Cavender brand straw or palm and none have been over $100. I still have one of my straw hats I had when I was in high school. If you take care of them, any hat will can look and last just as long as a $1000 hat. If something did damage a hat, at least you would only loose out $80 vs $$$$$$$

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    My best hat story-

A friend of the wife puts her on alert of a yard sale in Johnson City that's supposed to have some LBJ memorabilia.
    I'm still making payments on the last time she went on a sale with this same pal. Anyway I get a seat in the car and away we go.

Upon arrival I meet with the seller who is busy conducting hat handling class before letting anyone touch three silverbelly Stetson Open Road hats he has on the block. When I finally get to pick one up, forget about trying it on, I see the gold initials on the sweatband.... Honey, pay the man!

I'd already done my homework so I know that LBJ wore the same size of hat that I do. The seller told me that when it was MY hat I could try it on.
    I damn sure did too. Just as soon as I paid him with one hand the hat went on my head with the other. It fit like a glove and I'm grinnin like a mule eating briar. See, I've never owned anything like this before.

My Stetson goes back in the box that also has some markings lending to the legitimacy. The box with the hat goes in the trunk for the ride home.
    I know that we have to go through Fredericksburg on the way home and if these ladies get out of the car there....I might not get to examine that hat until tomorrow.

Funny but as soon as I bought it I was hit by this lightening bolt realization. Did I buy a hat or an artifact with historical significance?
    Was I gonna wear it or just look at it? I paid way too much for it and I'd hate to mess it up. Ok, top shelf of the closet, in the box. I'm not even a real LBJ fan. After about a month of this I'm not even wanting to open the closet door, ate up with buyers remorse and nag bit about a hat that I won't wear.

But I got to open that closet once in a while and when I do I'm starting to notice that something ain't too fresh in there. The first time I noticed it I'm like how can I smell my feet when I got my boots on? Then it got worse. When I finally pulled that hatbox down the whole back half of it was stained and discolored....yeah, cat piss. I guess our cat wasn't an LBJ fan either.

If I burned that hat I wouldn't want to stand in the smoke, that bad. My wife ain't letting up on me either. I can't look at a new hat without being reminded of the last one I bought. Her cat does no wrong so all I hear is that it wouldn't have got pissed on if I was wearing it.

The hat?
    I ended up selling it in a yard sale.
    I'd have burned the cat...

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Paris Hatters in San Antonio. I think it's still there. I bought an LBJ-Style Stetson back in the 1980s, and paid about $150 for it - a lot back then!

I rarely wore it and it disappeared somewhere along the way.

THREAD REVIVAL!!

Paris Hatters is still there, we stopped by there yesterday as I am searching for a Stetson Marshall. Wasn't overly impressed, they are real particular about anyone handling their wares even if it's just to look at the hat without trying it on! Prices were up there as well!

We also tried Headquarters Hats and Texas Jack Wild West Outfitter in Fredericksburg the weekend before last with no luck either!

I picked up a really nice Stetson Rancher XXX6XXX in black in Bandera (where else?!?) a few weeks ago and the bug has bit.
    It doesn't help I've also been watching the new Justified series!

I may have a lead on a XXX6XXX Skyline, not sure if it's a Silverbelly or a Silver Gray. The former is a hot ticket item at the moment, but honestly either would be nice!

:cowboy:

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    I have a brown Stetson hat. Had it 10 years or so. Had one since I was a teen, but my mother in law threw my boots, hat and overalls away once not long after I was married. It didn’t work. Have 4 pairs of boots now. Never replaced the overalls. You don’t mess with a man’s hat…

Also have both my grandfather’s and my father’s Stetson hats. Both still in the ancient boxes. Both silver belly (I think). I can wear my dad’s, but my grandfather’s is too big.

Last edited:

Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX
    I have a brown Stetson hat. Had it 10 years or so. Had one since I was a teen, but my mother in law threw my boots, hat and overalls away once not long after I was married. It didn’t work. Have 4 pairs of boots now. Never replaced the overalls. You don’t mess with a man’s hat…
    If a MIL threw away my boots or hat, I'd need to get rid of the MIL.

DougC

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2021
    Texas
    THREAD REVIVAL!!

Paris Hatters is still there, we stopped by there yesterday as I am searching for a Stetson Marshall. Wasn't overly impressed, they are real particular about anyone handling their wares even if it's just to look at the hat without trying it on! Prices were up there as well!

We also tried Headquarters Hats and Texas Jack Wild West Outfitter in Fredericksburg the weekend before last with no luck either!

I picked up a really nice Stetson Rancher XXX6XXX in black in Bandera (where else?!?) a few weeks ago and the bug has bit.
    It doesn't help I've also been watching the new Justified series!

I may have a lead on a XXX6XXX Skyline, not sure if it's a Silverbelly or a Silver Gray. The former is a hot ticket item at the moment, but honestly either would be nice!

:cowboy:

I am a BIG fan of the Justified series. The Hat. My Stetson was a gift to me of a campaign style cover with Montana peak which I wore as adult leader in Boy Scouts many years ago. Cool looking very retro Baden Powell but only in cool weather. Hotter'N hell in summer to wear.
    hat.jpg

Attachments

• hat.jpg
      hat.jpg
      8.7 KB · Views: 32

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    <>

Gee, qll this talk of Stetsons made me go dig in a closet to find the 2 nice straw Stetsons we bought from Old Mr. Nino down in Presidio, Texas, some 38 years ago. They still look very nice.

Our 4X beaver hats are long gone. . . . . . .

Oh well, I was never a real Cowboy; and, Dad sold all 225 head of Herefords back in 1959. . . . . .

<>

Top Bottom