How much sacrilege is this?

Discussion in 'Rifles' started by Bluesoma, Jun 18, 2009.

1. Bluesoma

Bluesoma New Member

May 21, 2009
    So I have a russian captured mauser k98. It's in decent condition for a RC. I plan to remove the ugly shellac and then commit what some would consider sacrilege.....putting a scope on it. Now, the thing is that I don't plan on putting some bodunk scope on it. My ultimate plan is to make a repo of a ww2 scoped mauser. Of course this all depends on how well the gun still shoots. I've checked the barrel and the rifling looks good (but I'm not *that* knowledgable)

So to have some point to this thread....should I be talked out of doing this?

If I go ahead, what are some good sources for ww2 repo scopes and what some good gunsmiths in the austin area that would do a good job of drilling and tapping the reciever if required?

2. Big country

Big country TGT Addict

Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    Go for it if that is what you want to do. As far as gun smiths in Austin go I can't help you.

3. Texas1911

Texas1911 TGT Addict

May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    I don't see how that's sacrilege, and would advise you to really look over the gun before investing in a scope. You might want to drop it off at the smith and have it re-crowned and glass bedded so that your investment on the scope is worthwhile.

4. popo22

popo22 Member

Feb 1, 2009
    Gunsmiths

I use "Hank Flemming" gunsnith on south Congress (across from the "DPS" office). I have always had good luck with Hank although he is fairly busy. I know that McBrides uses Hank for mounting scopes as well. Good Luck.

5. Bluesoma

Bluesoma New Member

May 21, 2009
    Heh, I guess I read way too much, but there's "collectors" out there who want to say you're destroying a piece of history for even just removing the shellac off a russian captured mauser.

Definetly need to have it looked over, but it looks and shoots good. I'm still deciding if I want to get a side mounted scope or a turret mounted scope.

Ah if only all decisions were like this.