how to clear live round stuck in barrel

Discussion in 'Video How-To's and Tutorials' started by kk365ss, Feb 19, 2017.

1. kk365ss

kk365ss New Member

Nov 30, 2014
    Dime Box
    Howdy
    I had a round I bought at a gun show ( cause it was pretty cheap ) that stuck in my CZ 75 barrel. I can't tell if the primer fired or not, I'm not a re-loader so I'm not sure. It's indented but not like the ones I fired from the same box.
    Anyway what is the best way to clear the round out of the barrel if it is live?
    Can I drive it back safely?

2. grasshopperglock

grasshopperglock TGT Addict

Jan 5, 2012
    Tap it out with a cleaning rod. If the bullet sets back in the case. All it will do is compress the smokeless powder. Don't strike the case base or primer.

Spray a bit of WD40 down the muzzle and let sit for a few. Then tap the round out the chamber.

3. Dawico

Dawico TGT Addict

Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Just knock it out from the muzzle end. I bet it isn't stuck very hard in there.

4. Charlie

Charlie TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Mar 19, 2008
    Kerr County
    I'd take the barrel out of the gun first. :green:

5. grasshopperglock

Jan 5, 2012
    Once you get it out. Inspect the chamber and extractor. If the chamber is stained from the seizure. Chuck a cleaning rod with brush in a drill. Smear the brush with aluminum wheel cleaner. Run the brush back and forth in the chamber. Trying to keep the brush out the lands. Rinse and inspect again.

On the extractor. If it's fu¬Ęked up. Order a new one. It's not worth the effort to fix. If even possible.

6. grasshopperglock

Jan 5, 2012

It's either tap the slide rearward to rip the extractor off the rim. That's if the round is really stuck.

Or...

Next option is to tap the round from the muzzle end also....Pulling the slide back at the same time. As the round moves out the chamber. Any clearance between the firing pin hole, slide face to the primer are maintained. The goal is to keep it from doing an anvil on the slide and blowing your fingers off.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2017
  7. grasshopperglock

Jan 5, 2012
    There's a third option. Take the pistol and stick the top end of the muzzle face of the slide. Put it to the edge of a soft wood bench. Or fence post in the back yard.

Man push the frame forward with slide anchored against the wood. Give it room for the barrel to come out.

If you can't rip the extractor off the rim. Use both hands and put some balls to it.

8. grasshopperglock

Jan 5, 2012
    I'm curious as to why some dummy at a gun show sold a loaded, stuck, pistol. The high water mark for unsafe. Nobody noticed a chambered pistol without a zip tie?

Was the fat deputy at the door....too fat to check this stuff? This is a donut moment in the wild world of guns.

9. Kar98

Kar98 Active Member

Aug 8, 2016
    DFW
    Read again. OP bought reloads or ammo of questionable origin at the gun show because cheap. One of them got stuck in the barrel of his 75.

10. grasshopperglock

Jan 5, 2012
    Thank you 98'. I'm tracking now. I sometimes read too deep or not enough. Everything applies except my rant.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2017