• ...and so much more!
  • Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I believe the discussion is revolving around electric only vehicles. On board generators change things dramatically.

Pick up trucks are easy at this point, within reason. Since most guys use them as cars it isn't an issue.

The guy really hauling with it is the hard sell. He is gonna kill batteries in no time.

18 wheelers open a whole different set of issues. Much bigger and heavier vehicles with more wind resistance. More room to haul batteries though too.

I see local delivery trucks coming along fairly quickly. Long haul trucks are a ways out.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Problem with the local trucks is that the battery banks would take up precious cargo space. I'm sure it would work in some areas, but having to buy two trucks instead of one in order to make all the deliveries in one day would be a hard sell.

I believe their is some new tech coming along related to LiPo but I can't remember the details. Supposed to be similar to LiPo tech but with better capacity and much higher discharge rates.

Hope Musk gets it figured out, all this new battery tech is great for RC toys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SidewaysTA

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 5, 2011
    CSTX
    I'll say one thing. I was just in Hong Kong and Tesla is all over that place. Seems like every time I looked over there was a Tesla in the lane next to me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

kyletxria1911a1

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    kyletx
    I believe the discussion is revolving around electric only vehicles. On board generators change things dramatically.

Pick up trucks are easy at this point, within reason. Since most guys use them as cars it isn't an issue.

The guy really hauling with it is the hard sell. He is gonna kill batteries in no time.

18 wheelers open a whole different set of issues. Much bigger and heavier vehicles with more wind resistance. More room to haul batteries though too.

I see local delivery trucks coming along fairly quickly. Long haul trucks are a ways out.

Weight weight and weight

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    I believe their is some new tech coming along related to LiPo but I can't remember the details. Supposed to be similar to LiPo tech but with better capacity and much higher discharge rates.

The issue is really that the energy density of the batteries has only been improving very slowly. I think that is part of what Musk has seen to help convince him to build the gigafactory in NV. Even with existing battery technology, that place and the one they are building in Europe will drive the costs down. Can anyone say monopoly?

JoeN

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 27, 2015
    An electric powered semi will work but it will have to pull tandem trailers. One for the batteries and the other the load.

Last edited:

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    Big construction equipment works the same way.

Not really part of this discussion though. I doubt any regular vehicles would go from direct drive to generator/ motor propulsion.
    They already have, kinda, with the Chevy Volt. The gas engine doesn't always have a connection to the wheels, it can fire up and be utilized only to power the generator. A computer controlled clutch can still connect it to the drivetrain if it makes sense to do so (like under hard accel or high speed) but in normal operation it stays out of the loop.

Problem with the local trucks is that the battery banks would take up precious cargo space. I'm sure it would work in some areas, but having to buy two trucks instead of one in order to make all the deliveries in one day would be a hard sell.

I'm not completely up to date of battery tech, but I do tend to read the articles I stumble across. It sounds like there's a bunch of new concepts that may actually turn into commercially viable improvements coming pretty soon. Apparently one of the best battery guys in the world is right here in Texas at UT-Austin, he's the guy who came up with Li-ion batteries to begin with. His name, no shit, is John Goodenough :)

Goodenough introduces new battery technology

The issue is really that the energy density of the batteries has only been improving very slowly. I think that is part of what Musk has seen to help convince him to build the gigafactory in NV. Even with existing battery technology, that place and the one they are building in Europe will drive the costs down. Can anyone say monopoly?
    Only a monopoly by omission it seems. If nobody is trying to operate in the same space, well he's kinda leading the charge. (I'm so punny).

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    In case there is any confusion, or even if anyone cares, my questions are specifically about an electric pickup truck.
    You said work truck and now you're saying pickup... make up your mind! :laughing:

Are we discussing trains, or pickup trucks?
    Same principal... It only takes 30hp or so to maintain 70mph on a flat road. A small diesel generator can supply power for cruising and keeping you comfortable when stationary, while the battery bank is for accelerating and recovering energy in deceleration.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    You said work truck and now you're saying pickup... make up your mind! :laughing:

Same principal... It only takes 30hp or so to maintain 70mph on a flat road. A small diesel generator can supply power for cruising and keeping you comfortable when stationary, while the battery bank is for accelerating and recovering energy in deceleration.

Well, I figured I already said work truck once, lol.

And I don't believe there was any mention (in the Tesla article we are discussing) of a diesel generator.

Davetex

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 27, 2010
    Greers Ferry Lake
    I like this El Camino/Ranchero idea.

b96531decac0efc1f9e06afdd7d34767.jpg

That would be super cool.

rman

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 7, 2015
    Ft. Worth
    my company had an exclusive agreement with Tesla in one aspect of their company..

We got to showcase a model X at our trade show, it was pretty cool. Gull wing doors and blah blah blah. I get it, it's cool and all, super techy with all the amenities and ridiculously fast.

but I'm just an old school guy who likes to rev a motor, hear and feel it roar, and a little black smoke never hurts :)

if their cars can barely get 300 miles on a tank, and the extended charging times, I'd be interested to see how trucks do. Especially pickup trucks that haul, tow, and see strenuous terrains.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Top Bottom