Patriot Mobile

How to mess with attacker's night vision?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    Yeah, I keep some cash for a last minute emergency purchases, but reality is, if something serious happens, I sure wouldn't go further than my nearest little local community, and probably not there either.
    The roads would be so crowded and let’s say a neighbor never returns. At least what he leaves behind is a resource. Even a house can be torn apart for stove fuel.
    Texas SOT

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    The greatest problem I see with banding together rural is the distance between properties... Who leaves theirs?

Rural survival is different than urban, especially when you don't plan to leave and they do...

Radios. You can go on the cheap and hand out FRS handsets - they typically work line of sight with limited range. Or go fancier, get everyone a CB or short-wave. In true WROL - the FCC won't be knocking on your door because you're broadcasting unlicensed. Do be aware though - when you use a radio, you are locatable via triangulation. You may have on previously unnoticed, and as soon as you key up - you're on someone's radar.

Reactions: gll

gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    A bunch of people in my neighborhood bought Baofeng UV5 types some 5 years ago. We even settled on a frequency. I have no idea how many still have them, but I have several Baofeng GT-3's. I've never keyed them, only listened.. not much traffic on my scans. I also bought 4 FRS radios, Baofeng BF-88ST's recently for handouts or for barter.

I really do need to test for HAM...

Last edited:

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Seems appropriate for this thread.

c7adba9ca3f8d74c2be4e355baa344f0.jpg

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    …I really do need to test for HAM...

If it comes down to needing them for the intended purpose, having a .gov permission slip is the last thing on my list of shît to consider.

All the knowledge is out there and exists in hard and soft copy. No permission slip required to buy the equipment. The only thing the .gov permission slip for is to practice in peacetime.

gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    It would be nice to practice in peacetime... but, I guess I know enough to use them.

I have mine progammed with a load of common channels. Used Chirp on Linux...

I do wish there was a way to program from an Android phone or tablet.

gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    Do you have vehicles with key fobs? Great source of remote control light if you can’t use the darkness to your advantage, or want to take it away from someone else.
    I like UV flashlights at 365-390nm for night navigation; they throw minimal light. I have several dedicated UV, a couple switchable with white modes, one switchable between red, green, uv (all using 18650 Li batteries). These are also good for hunting scorpions.

On my key rings I have tiny little UV currency checkers.

I don't know this for certain, but I think UV is invisible to NV.

Rhino

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2009
    DFW Area
    A bunch of people in my neighborhood bought Baofeng UV5 types some 5 years ago. We even settled on a frequency. I have no idea how many still have them, but I have several Baofeng GT-3's. I've never keyed them, only listened.. not much traffic on my scans. I also bought 4 FRS radios, Baofeng BF-88ST's recently for handouts or for barter.

I really do need to test for HAM...

Reactions: gll

gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    Installing motion devices (lights, sensors that talk to a the house, ect) on trails, walk ways and borders would be the biggest help.
    Yeah, I've done quite alot of that. This thread question was about how I might apply that to NV...

At this point I'm thinking I may add IR flood panels to enhance my security camera range and flood the area with more IR (this on night mode).

Add more driveway motion detector alarms at gates and on trails and run cheap game cams (used as IR emitters) set to long exposure in tandem with them.

Add more white LED flood panels on remote switch(s) to put my house behind a dark curtain (I use very minimal light in the house at night now, and by the time I decide (if ever) I actually need to use this stuff, I will probably be using even less and have house power switched to off-grid).

Lastly, I am going to have to have some NV of my own to take advantage of the flood of IR I will be casting. Initially, that may only be some kind of cheap monocular.

The advantage (to me) of this plan is that it is modular, most of it is useful even before a threat arises, and most won't require any permanent installation. It will use lots of batteries, but I already use loads of rechargeables.

Last edited:

KJQ6945

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2020
    Ben Wheeler
    I like UV flashlights at 365-390nm for night navigation; they throw minimal light. I have several dedicated UV, a couple switchable with white modes, one switchable between red, green, uv (all using 18650 Li batteries). These are also good for hunting scorpions.

On my key rings I have tiny little UV currency checkers.

I don't know this for certain, but I think UV is invisible to NV.
    I think you misunderstood my point.

If something goes bump in the night, I can hit a button on my key fob and turn on my headlights. My truck is backed in, wife pulls in forward. Mine will instantly illuminate all the way to the pipe fence at the road. Wife’s will illuminate out the back to the wood line. 100 yards in each direction.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    Yeah, I've done quite alot of that. This thread question was about how I might apply that to NV...
    I’ll explain my thinking. I don’t worry about interfering with nv. You will notice in my responses that I’m trying to get detection not interference. Be it screams from traps, sensors, cams, lights, and having cover and concealment options exiting your home. My two cents is there’s more direct and efficient ways at getting rid of people looking for a fight in shtf. I’d say invest in nv/inferred too.

Get gas mask too. I have enough nbc respirators for several people. Gas is something a lot of folks don’t think about.

gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    Lots of lighting are a benefit, regardless of whether the bad guys have NV or not. People up to no good, don't like to be lit up with lots of light.
    Night lights in the country just let people know where you are... I keep my property dark at night, but being able to flood the area with white light from a single control is an idea I think has merit.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Thaskinny1
    Top Bottom