• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • OlyMedic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2013
    San Antonio, TX
    Ok, so learn me on shotguns. I had a Remington 870 when I was growing up, sold it years ago when I joined the Army. Now I'm looking to start hunting again. Turkey coming up and I've got some good 'ol boys in San Sabo letting me in on their lease (Texas Hunters for Heroes ftw). Also, I'm from WA state, may end up back there some day (parents are actually moving to Austin, but still lots of family up there). And we do lots of ducks and water fowl. Couple of questions.

1. Loved the 870, but I'm seeing the 887 around now. Is it an evolved 870 as they claim? Why is the synthetic stock so stupid looking?
    2. I wouldn't mind a tactical/home defense shotgun as well, is there anything that fits in both categories? Or is it one of those areas where you are really better off having 2 specific role guns?
    3. Open to any recommendations, 12 gauge pump, I'd like to keep it under $500 for the weapon itself.
    Texas SOT

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Not a Remington guy but as far as hunting and HD there is no problem using the same shotgun.

I am a Mossberg 500 fan myself and have a 28" barrel for hunting and an 18.5" for HD although shotgun is my last choice for an HD weapon. Mostly gets use for snakes and other wildlife that needs to be dispatched.

I'm also a fan of sporting type stocks for HD use. For me it's much easier to control and aim(yes, you still need to aim and HD shotgun) and working the action is exactly the same so I get plenty of practice any time I go hunting.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I've owned a lot of Remington 870's in the Express and older Wingmaster form. I swear by them! Estimating....I've had close to 20 of them. I can NOT say enough good things about the 870.

Two-three years ago, I bought a Mossberg Maverick 88 and liked it so much that I got a second one. I got a spare 18 1/2" barrel for less than $80 brand new at Midway. Barrels that are advertised for the Mossberg 500 fit perfectly but they usually don't specify the Maverick 88 as a fit, too. With TWO of the shotguns, I feel qualified to give a hearty thumbs up!

The Mossberg 500 is about $100 more than the Maverick and I can't tell a lot of difference in them. I prefer the safety on the trigger housing on the 88. The 500 has the safety on the top tang where it attaches to the buttstock.

Flash

Last edited:

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    Used Wingmaster with two barrels = done.

Or you could go pickup brand new:
    1) H&R Pardner Pump with 28" barrel & screw in choke (~$190) AND .....(Academy)
    2) Hawk 982 Pump with 18.5" barrel and ghost ring sight (~$200) .....(CTD or other)
    3) 2 sets of replacement followers and better mag springs (~$30 each)

For ~$450 you could have two setup shotguns. These two models are basically 870 clones. They are solid steel, but the mag springs and followers suck and should be replaced immediately. I polished up a Pardner Pump and threw on a little moly brake grease...feels pretty smooth now.

single stack

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2011
    FL
    I think you are going in the right direction by choosing a pump shotgun for general all around hunting.

The Mossberg 500 combo is the best low budget option I've seen. They are good, serviceable shotguns.
    I have something similar. I spent a little extra by starting with a 24" ported "Slugster" with rifle sights and
    later added a 26" C-Lector choke barrel. The Mavericks and Remington Expresses I've tried are not up to the
    quality of the Mossberg 500s. They both feel "gritty" when you work the action. I don't want to fix a new gun.

Wingmasters are higher quality guns and Browning BPS's are even higher quality. More money too!

I will caution you against buying a used shotgun unless you know what you are looking at.
    Although, you could pay a premium for a used gun at Dury's and get a lifetime guarantee.

I like shotguns most of all my guns. Especially when you get Federal 100 packs of shot shells for $22.00.
    The cost per round is less than most rifle and pistol ammo.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I agree with the above mentioned guns. 870, 500, or Maverick are all good choices. In your budget you can find good deals on used guns and you may find 2 different guns (one HD and one sporting, or one w/ 2 barrels) for that money.

The 887 is a good gun also. The plastic overmold is just for protection but it does look "different". There aren't too many aftermarket parts available for it though.

Stumpy

Landman/Presbyterian
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2009
    Slaton, TX
    I am a Mossberg 500 fan myself and have a 28" barrel for hunting and an 18.5" for HD
    good option.

Personally, I use a Remington 11-87 SuperMag. I picked one up at the WallyWorld in Midland, TX about 4 months ago. It's a wicked awesome gun. It's Realtree hardwood camo.

mkburden

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    HUNT COUNTY TEXAS
    I have a few shotguns and use them for different applications. My 500 is 18 1/2" hd and I have another field model to hunt with. My old 870 wingmaster looks great and shoots fine, the slide action is a little longer than the Mossberg. Not by much, but at least once every trip I short cycle the darn thing. Like I said totally me, not the gun at all. I have never had a single issue from either 870 or 500, and have had more than a few 500's over the years. Not sure what the deal with not buying a used shotgun is? Single Stack not stirring the pot, just curious. I feel all guns should be inspected upon purchase.

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    If you are going to be a one shotgun guy....870. Nothing wrong with other brands or auto-loaders, but 870s .. there are so many after market things are available, and the initial purchase is silly cheap. Even Cabalas's has them for under $300 with a lot of options. It's not worth worrying about saving $15 bucks. Get the 870.

Of course that is just my opinion, albeit an informed opinion having shot shotguns for some 50 years.

OlyMedic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2013
    San Antonio, TX
    Thanks for the input guys. I guess I'll head out to the store and get my hands on a Mossberg and an 870 to see what feels best to me. Kinda liking the idea of a 500 for HD and 870 for hunting.

Stumpy

Landman/Presbyterian
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2009
    Slaton, TX
    Thanks for the input guys. I guess I'll head out to the store and get my hands on a Mossberg and an 870 to see what feels best to me. Kinda liking the idea of a 500 for HD and 870 for hunting.

They're not all that different. Might as well use the same platform for each. Either two different barrels or two different complete shotguns.

single stack

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2011
    FL
    mkburden,

I was making the suggestion to buy new rather than used is based on protecting the folks that
    may be unfamiliar with shotguns. They might not be treated fairly.

Most dealer's guns will be priced close enough to market value, but individual sales can vary from seller to seller.

Considering the low price point guns that have been discussed, any buyer ought to buy new. Used may be looking
    to buy someone else's problem. For the price difference for these guns between new and used, I'd prefer a warranty.

BTW,

One gun with two barrels is fun. Two guns is more fun!

GrandpaOf18

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Elmendorf TX
    The one I sold a few years ago was an 870. The one I bought last year was a Mossburg 500. I like(d) both. Was one better than the other? I'm happy with either. They both go bang, and hit what I intend, and feel good in the hands.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    I was a pump guy for 30 years. Mossberg 500. Until I shot my BIL's Benelli. I didn't have $1500 to spend on one, so I bought a Beretta AL390 semi auto.

I could not be more happy with a shotgun. That gun has so little recoil, my 110 lb 12 year old son could shoot it effectively. I only paid $650 for it. You can now find them used for less than that. They have metal parts in the guts, where Browning and others have plastic parts. It will shoot the worst, crappiest shells you can find. And IMO, it has the best looking synthetic stocks around. I have had it over 10 years, and have had no problems of any kind with it. And thats after shooting appx 4K shells through it.

It may be your time to step up to the SA. Food for thought.

stdreb27

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Corpus christi
    Just get the 350 Chevy of shotguns the 870. New is the same price as used. Around 300 bucks. You can buy another tube for higher cap. But if you take the plug out. You still have a 5 round tube...

Personally I'm a big fan of the Winchester sx series for a semi auto.

sonuvaTXgun

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Borger, TX
    I use my Rem 870 Express for practice clays, birds, and now most recently, home defense. I was in a similar predicament as you because I wanted an HD shotgun but didn't want to buy a whole new gun. I surfed some online gun stores and found a pistol grip and forend for a good price and presto. Instant 870 HD shotty.

pistolgrip.jpg

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Having multiple barrels for a Remington 870 is a great idea! I have 4-5 extra barrels and switch them around like Barbie Doll clothes. In the end, I just see another 870 at a good price and get another one, anyway. I guess there's no limit, huh?

My oldest 870 is a 1958 model Wingmaster. I bought it as a pistol grip short barrel shotgun and when I found out the actual age of the gun, I promised to rebuild it as a Wingmaster then take a newer "Express" model and convert it to the short pistol grip model. That's the plan, anyway. The old Wingmaster is smooth as glass when you rack it back.

Incidentally, I put a lot of rounds through pistol grip shotguns (all 12 ga) and field loads (Dove loads) with bird shot are about all I can handle. Short magnums are barely tolerable and 3" magnums are out of the question. Those magnums will do their best to rip your thumb off with the pistol grip. I never tried it with a glove. You might try that.

Flash

Top Bottom