Capitol Armory ad

Hurricane Season: You can only take one handgun and one long gun...What do you take?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2012
    Greenville
    If a hurricane hits Abilene....we're all gonna die! Lol but if one hits Houston, I'll be heading down to my dad and taking my Model 36 for my handgun, and probably my High Standard Flite King Riot in 12G. But if I could take 3, definitely my 10/22 tapco.
    Hurley's Gold

PapaG

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2013
    Near College Station
    Well it would be my S &w 66 .357, model 12 .20 gage
    One of my .22 bolt action. That is what I own, Meet up with my brother who will his Sig p226,and ar 15. He has more ammo than we can carry. I lost electrify for. Over A week

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HDi wow

Last edited:

M1Garand

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    A Taurus Beretta 96 copy my friend has that I can borrow... since I don't have puny handguns. :P. The long gun would be my Winchester Model 1400 Mk II in 12 Gauge.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Probably have to go M1 Carbine and Ruger Mk II. The Carbine is pretty non-scary-looking, which is good for avoiding unwanted attention. Plus it's light and can be stashed fairly effectively under a poncho or coat. The .22 pistol? I can carry a crapload of ammo for it, and anything in front of the front sight is already hit. Pure game-getter.

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    Re: Hurricane Season

I'm not so worried about a hurricane, but if a tornado hit and took out a large area, I would probably travel locally with my M&P 9 and my shotgun w/scabbard in case of looters.

TBlood

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2013
    Pearland
    Hurricane Season: You can only take one handgun and one long gun...What do you

AR10 and XDM.40. Make the old lady carry the Beowulf and the Mac10 ;)

equin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 18, 2010
    Waxahachie, TX
    I've been through 5 hurricanes in my life time in Puerto Rico, Florida and the Mississippi Gulf Coast, including a stint where I drove down to Biloxi to look for my Dad after Katrina hit. The two most important items anyone ever needs after a hurricane are water (and lots and lots of it, including lots of potable water) and gas. After that, I'd say candles, matches, flashlights and battery powered radios with plenty of fresh batteries are next in line. After a hurricane hits, many times the public water system ceases to work. It means no water coming out of your faucet until that gets fixed, which can take one or two days to a couple of weeks. As you can imagine, a bathtub full of water won't last long with a family of four after a few days. So no matter how much water you think you have, it still may not be enough.

Another thing that happens after a hurricane is the loss of electrical power, which sometimes takes longer to restore than water services. With no electricity, the gas pumps cease to exist. If your car was low on gas when the hurricane hits, you ain't driving anywhere. And no, unlike Walmart, Lowe's and Home Depot, which miraculously tend to open up a day after the hurricane hits, gas stations rarely ever have the same kind of backup electrical generation units as Walmart, or at least they never did during my hurricane experiences.

Also, having worked the food industry in my younger years, including during the aftermath of hurricanes, you'd be surprised how many fast food joints, Waffle Houses, and other restaurants manage to open even a day after one hits. Again, even though gas stations may not have backup electrical generation units, some restaurants do. So if you have enough gas to drive down to your local fast food joint after tiring of eating canned beans heated by your propane powered camping stove, then don't be surprised to find it open for business so soon after the hurricane knocks out everyone else's power. That is, assuming the fast food joint survived intact without broken windows, a missing roof, looting, etc.

As far as lootings, crime sprees, mass shootings and killings go, I've found that with the exception of some looting, the opposite is true, even when I was in Puerto Rico, one of the most crime ridden places in the Western Hemisphere, after a hurricane hit. Some kind of community survival attitude tends to take over, causing most neighbors, many of whom have never met each other or have rarely ever greeted one another, to come together and help each other out. I've seen this phenomenon at every hurricane I've been through, including Katrina along the Mississippi Gulf Coast. When my cousin and I drove down to Biloxi to look for my Dad, we brought spare gas, water, food, etc. in the back of my truck. Despite my Texas plates, local Biloxians continued to offer us bottled water and canned goods thinking we were stranded victims. We declined their help, of course, but it confirmed the helping nature of most folks after a disaster hits.

As far as firearms go, I'm not exactly sure where some folks intend to go with them after a hurricane hits. Most folks prefer to stay home, assuming it hasn't been destroyed, to protect their home and belongings. Besides, with no gas stations working, you're not going to get far anyway, unless you do what I did, which I wouldn't necessarily recommend, and try to store as many 5-gallon containers of gas as you can in the back of your truck. The reason why I wouldn't recommend doing that, though, is for the obvious reason that you'll then be a rolling flame hazard and you'll also be a target for gas thieves. Only reason I did it was because I had no choice if I wanted to drive down to find my Dad. In order to get from Dallas to Biloxi, I knew that the gas stations east of Monroe, LA were all out of gas. Also, not all the roads will be passable immediately after a hurricane hits. Even with 4-wheel drive, if you have several huge tree trunks blocking the road, even 4-lo and a V8 aren't going to let you continue.

One other thing. Land lines, and especially cell phones, will also be knocked out. That means little to no communication. Had I known my Dad was alive and well after Katrina hit, I wouldn't have gone down there to look for him. But since all the cell towers were blown down, and since the news stations aired nothing but mass mayhem, killings, death and destruction, my cousin and I decided to take matters into our own hands and go rescue my Dad any way we could. It wasn't until a day or two after we got there that we found him safe and sound. And it wasn't until a couple weeks after we left that we were able to talk to him on the phone again.

Anyway, hope my hurricane experiences help out the rest of y'all who may have the misfortune of experiencing one. They're not fun, despite the hurricane parties we used to attend in my younger days. But with planning and good luck, you'll hopefully come out as unscathed as is possible.

equin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 18, 2010
    Waxahachie, TX
    Thanks! Been through enough of them and just trying to help my fellow TGT'ers by sharing the little I know.

Almost forgot, two other good things to have are a first aid kit and lots and lots of bug spray. The day after a hurricane hits, you and your neighbors will be outside busy clearing all the debris, downed trees, trash and everything else strewn about your place and street. That means some will be prone to injury, like I almost was when I almost stepped on some debris with a bunch of nails sticking up. First aid kit will always help, but hopefully you won't have to use it.

The bug spray is necessary because you probably won't want to stay inside the house for too long without air conditioning. Since hurricanes tend to hit in late summer when it's hot and humid, after the hurricane you won't have any a/c to keep cool with all the power lines down. So whether you open the windows to let some air circulate or sit outside in the shade, you're going to get bit by plenty of mosquitoes taking advantage of all the standing water left by the torrential rains and floods the hurricane brought.

jocat54

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2011
    Lindale, Texas
    I've been through 5 hurricanes in my life time in Puerto Rico, Florida and the Mississippi Gulf Coast, including a stint where I drove down to Biloxi to look for my Dad after Katrina hit. The two most important items anyone ever needs after a hurricane are water (and lots and lots of it, including lots of potable water) and gas. After that, I'd say candles, matches, flashlights and battery powered radios with plenty of fresh batteries are next in line. After a hurricane hits, many times the public water system ceases to work. It means no water coming out of your faucet until that gets fixed, which can take one or two days to a couple of weeks. As you can imagine, a bathtub full of water won't last long with a family of four after a few days. So no matter how much water you think you have, it still may not be enough.

Another thing that happens after a hurricane is the loss of electrical power, which sometimes takes longer to restore than water services. With no electricity, the gas pumps cease to exist. If your car was low on gas when the hurricane hits, you ain't driving anywhere. And no, unlike Walmart, Lowe's and Home Depot, which miraculously tend to open up a day after the hurricane hits, gas stations rarely ever have the same kind of backup electrical generation units as Walmart, or at least they never did during my hurricane experiences.

Also, having worked the food industry in my younger years, including during the aftermath of hurricanes, you'd be surprised how many fast food joints, Waffle Houses, and other restaurants manage to open even a day after one hits. Again, even though gas stations may not have backup electrical generation units, some restaurants do. So if you have enough gas to drive down to your local fast food joint after tiring of eating canned beans heated by your propane powered camping stove, then don't be surprised to find it open for business so soon after the hurricane knocks out everyone else's power. That is, assuming the fast food joint survived intact without broken windows, a missing roof, looting, etc.

As far as lootings, crime sprees, mass shootings and killings go, I've found that with the exception of some looting, the opposite is true, even when I was in Puerto Rico, one of the most crime ridden places in the Western Hemisphere, after a hurricane hit. Some kind of community survival attitude tends to take over, causing most neighbors, many of whom have never met each other or have rarely ever greeted one another, to come together and help each other out. I've seen this phenomenon at every hurricane I've been through, including Katrina along the Mississippi Gulf Coast. When my cousin and I drove down to Biloxi to look for my Dad, we brought spare gas, water, food, etc. in the back of my truck. Despite my Texas plates, local Biloxians continued to offer us bottled water and canned goods thinking we were stranded victims. We declined their help, of course, but it confirmed the helping nature of most folks after a disaster hits.

As far as firearms go, I'm not exactly sure where some folks intend to go with them after a hurricane hits. Most folks prefer to stay home, assuming it hasn't been destroyed, to protect their home and belongings. Besides, with no gas stations working, you're not going to get far anyway, unless you do what I did, which I wouldn't necessarily recommend, and try to store as many 5-gallon containers of gas as you can in the back of your truck. The reason why I wouldn't recommend doing that, though, is for the obvious reason that you'll then be a rolling flame hazard and you'll also be a target for gas thieves. Only reason I did it was because I had no choice if I wanted to drive down to find my Dad. In order to get from Dallas to Biloxi, I knew that the gas stations east of Monroe, LA were all out of gas. Also, not all the roads will be passable immediately after a hurricane hits. Even with 4-wheel drive, if you have several huge tree trunks blocking the road, even 4-lo and a V8 aren't going to let you continue.

One other thing. Land lines, and especially cell phones, will also be knocked out. That means little to no communication. Had I known my Dad was alive and well after Katrina hit, I wouldn't have gone down there to look for him. But since all the cell towers were blown down, and since the news stations aired nothing but mass mayhem, killings, death and destruction, my cousin and I decided to take matters into our own hands and go rescue my Dad any way we could. It wasn't until a day or two after we got there that we found him safe and sound. And it wasn't until a couple weeks after we left that we were able to talk to him on the phone again.

Anyway, hope my hurricane experiences help out the rest of y'all who may have the misfortune of experiencing one. They're not fun, despite the hurricane parties we used to attend in my younger days. But with planning and good luck, you'll hopefully come out as unscathed as is possible.

Nice post. Thanks, should help someone.

As far as gas stations and no electricity......the last major hurricane I was in was Celia (long time ago) and some of the gas stations were operating their gas pumps using a gas powered lawn edger to turn their pumps. Thought they were quit smart.

I have no idea if the pumps now could be operated the same way.

Top Bottom