• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    Looks like somebody tried to "fix" a sheered off axle and it failed on the road. Look at the weld area where the metal consistency is not the same. Now look to the areas adjacent and the metal is sheered off. Can you say "lawsuit"? At the least, that guy pays for damages his "fix" incurred. He is lucky he didn't kill anybody.

That does look like a mid-size or 1/2T truck tire/wheel (it has 6 lugs). But definitely not an 18wheeler. Probably some dude who offroads or 4wheels and "fixes" his own stuff. Unfortunately he did not have the proper welding skills. That truck shouldn't have been on the road. That fix is fine for getting off the trail, but it should have been trailered home. No way that should have been run on the public roads.

This should be a lesson for the "weldors" out there. You don't work on something above your paygrade. The weld on the bottom did penetrate. The weld on the top was way too cold. It did nothing but look pretty on top of the surface.

axlek.jpg

alexrex20

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2011
    No amount of welding skills could ever even remotely repair a sheared axle shaft. I can see why you would think it's a botched repair, but I think it's just the nature of the failure. That, and I would like to think nobody is really that stupid.

But then again, one should never underestimate the redneck ingenuity.

Hopefully it was a trail side repair that failed while he was limping it home. Ya... that's my story lol

alexrex20

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2011
    I take it back. I see the welds now.

Wow. Just wow.

Wolfwood, mind if I post these pics on pirate4x4.com? I'm sure they'll get a laugh.

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    No amount of welding skills could ever even remotely repair a sheared axle shaft. I can see why you would think it's a botched repair, but I think it's just the nature of the failure. That, and I would like to think nobody is really that stupid.

Hopefully it was a trail side repair that failed while he was limping it home. Ya... that's my story lol

Umhm. I am merely describing/inspecting the welds to the readership. Not approving the fix. Don't confuse the two.

I take it back. I see the welds now.

Wow. Just wow.

Wolfwood, mind if I post these pics on pirate4x4.com? I'm sure they'll get a laugh.

Glad you understand. I hit send before I pasted the pic link in there. I'm sure the welding web forum would thoroughly enjoy this too. Post it on Pirate, that place is great fodder for the WW :p

zembonez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Republic of Texas

^^^ This times one million.

alexrex20

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2011
    Umhm. I am merely describing/inspecting the welds to the readership. Not approving the fix. Don't confuse the two.

Oh I wasn't confused. I was just disagreeing (initially) with your assessment. I could tell that you did not approve! lol

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    Oh I wasn't confused. I was just disagreeing (initially) with your assessment. I could tell that you did not approve! lol

Roger that. But what exactly were you disagreeing with in the first place? I ask because if adding the picture changed the meaning of the words I wrote, I'm not communicating with my words very well.

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    Scary. I work right next to 35 too and hear tires on semis blowing up in the summer a couple of times a week. It shakes our whole building. If that really is a welded fix, whoever did it needs to get fixed. Retarded.

alexrex20

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2011
    Roger that. But what exactly were you disagreeing with in the first place? I ask because if adding the picture changed the meaning of the words I wrote, I'm not communicating with my words very well.

I was trying to give the redneck the benefit of the doubt in that he knew better than to try to repair an axle shaft with a welder. :p

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    I was trying to give the redneck the benefit of the doubt in that he knew better than to try to repair an axle shaft with a welder. :p

;)

And for clarification:
    Shorts said:
    That truck shouldn't have been on the road. That fix is fine for getting off the trail, but it should have been trailered home. No way that should have been run on the public roads.

By "getting off the trail", that actually means the truck was repaired while on the trail - repaired enough so that it would be drivable to limp off the trail road and back to the trail head. At the trail head that truck should have been put on a trailer or flatbed wrecker and taken home. THIS IS THE ONLY WAY I WOULD SUGGEST THIS TO BE ACCEPTABLE. NO FURTHER THAN THAT.

Once the compromised truck was dropped off at home it should have had the axle replaced with a new unit before going anywhere. Period.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I took a trip with a Knot Head woman to Belen New Mexico where we set up a large tent and stayed on her Aunt's land. We were going to ride my Kawasaki KLR 650 to the ancient cliff dwellings in the area. She wussed out on the tours and sat around BSing with her Aunt for almost a week so I hopped on the KLR and rode it back to Houston. It was 105 degrees in NM and I was pissed off so I ran the bike pretty fast to get the 1065 mile trip over as soon as possible. I ran an easy 85-95mph until I got near Houston.

I got almost to the Texas State line when I passed a Semi Truck. 1/2 around the truck, I heard a "BOOM" and a 12" section of exploded truck tire whizzed right past my nose at high velocity! Had I been a few inches forward, the tread would have taken my head off!

I'll pass an 18 wheeler on the road but I do so quickly and I NEVER ride beside a semi! Those tires are bombs!

I realize that the tire in the OP got loose from a broken axle but realistically, the tire itself is much more likely to come apart.

Flash

Last edited:
    Top Bottom