APOD Firearms

I Didn't Beat the Ride - Illegal Knife + CHL + Concealed Handgun = Jail + Charges

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I Didn't Beat the Ride - Illegal Knife + CHL + Concealed Handgun = Jail + Charg

I see the law as it is written....pretty clear IMO.

Hopefully the court will agree.
    ARJ Defense ad

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    What's traveling got to do with it? I thought all references to that were removed once the Motorist Protection Act was passed back in 2009?

Because all of the "traveling" Case Law is still valid if it is not superceded by MPA, which the pro-gun decisions are not.

AlamoMIA

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Arlington, Texas
    What's traveling got to do with it? I thought all references to that were removed once the Motorist Protection Act was passed back in 2009?

Matefrio, I don't know if you intended to be a test case for this issue or if you unwittingly became one. I hope this does get resolved in your favor but I must admit you took an awfully big leap of faith by carrying a knife known to be of questionable length based on your interpretation of the law.

It's a huge risk that may come back to haunt you, hopefully it won't and if you do win your case you will definitely set a precedence as well as answer the question concerning this statute which has been debated for a very long time...

Good luck! M2

The MPA of 2007 is embodied WITHIN 46.02. Therefore the MPA of 2007 is part of 46.02 . Section 46.115 states that when TRAVELING .... 46.02 IS NOT APPLICABLE. Therefore the traveling exception is INDEPENDENT OF ANY PROVISION OF 46.02 , and has absolutely NOTHING to do with the MPA of 2007 -and the MPA of 2007 has absolutely NOTHING to do with the traveling exception.

Last edited:

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    I knew the risk of being this test case and threw my hat over the fence believing I was not doing anything wrong and shouldn't be arrested.

I may have put the cart before the horse but I didn't see anyone else willing to be the horse.

I guess this is what you get for being right...?

If you need any help, let me know.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.

Maybe we can help a brotha out.

Stumpy

Landman/Presbyterian
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2009
    Slaton, TX

Thank you for your service in this fight. Let us know if we can help. I will keep you in my prayers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JColumbus

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2012
    This happens too much. Wish you the best of luck and, although it wouldn't be much, I'd donate if you need it. God bless.

macshooter

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2012
    EL Chuco
    I knew the risk of being this test case and threw my hat over the fence believing I was not doing anything wrong and shouldn't be arrested.

I may have put the cart before the horse but I didn't see anyone else willing to be the horse.

Shit man, all that just to win a goddamn argument on a forum? J/K Well you'll become case law now I suppose and we will find out for sure what the law is. You gotta lotta balls doing that at the capital, though it's not the battle I would choose to fight. Best of luck.

robocop10mm

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 9, 2009
    Round Rock
    Let that be a lesson for all; A CHL is exactly that, a Concealed HANDGUN License. Some States have knives covered w/in their handgun license laws. Texas does not. Whether the "travelling" exception is applied or not remains to be seen. Yes Travis County is THE most liberal County in Texas. That may actually work against you. Remember, Liberall = Hoplophobic.

You would have a better shot at dismissal if you had a medical marihuana card and less than 2 ounces of weed.

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    Let that be a lesson for all; A CHL is exactly that, a Concealed HANDGUN License. Some States have knives covered w/in their handgun license laws. Texas does not. Whether the "travelling" exception is applied or not remains to be seen. Yes Travis County is THE most liberal County in Texas. That may actually work against you. Remember, Liberall = Hoplophobic.

You would have a better shot at dismissal if you had a medical marihuana card and less than 2 ounces of weed.

You're a glass half empty type aren't ya?

Tejano Scott

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2011
    The Woodlands
    I personally know Matefrio and I'd like to make a few observations:

1) First and foremost, we couldn't have asked or hand-picked a better test case for this. He is educated, generous to our community, professional, calm, non tinfoil hat wearing, religious, politically active, and respectful.

2) The law is actually clear on this point and, as an attorney, I believe wholeheartedly that he is correct in his interpretation. We could certainly debate intent, but not content.

3) We all owe him a debt of gratitude. This isn't the kind of guy who is going to roll over the first opportunity he has to plea bargain his case to a result he can live with. I can't say that about a lot of folks. He is a principled person who has his eye on the welfare of the entire community, not just himself.

4) In addition to thanking him, we will be taking donations soon to fund his fight for ALL OF OUR rights. This will be an expensive endeavor, but he has put his money, freedom, and CHL where his mouth is. We will be asking for your support- financially, prayers, writing congressmen, etc.

5) How absolutely appropriate and symbolic for his arrest to have taken place inside the State Capitol building. You got brass balls sir.

I literally can't say enough good things about Matefrio. If you've ever met him, then you will surely know- we have the right person testing this case. Lets all show him the love and support him relentlessly during this time.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW

When I read it, the brass balls thing came to mind.

This will interesting to have a view from the inside.

Top Bottom