Target Sports

I Didn't Beat the Ride - Illegal Knife + CHL + Concealed Handgun = Jail + Charges

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    UPDATE:

Thanks to Texas Gun Talk primarily and some other forums enough money was raised to cover about $2,500.00 of the $5,000.00 the lawyer cost. I'm deeply grateful for the help.

Charges were dropped "In the interest of justice." by the ADA. Conversation with the ADA he said that I should have never been arrested.

I learn a bunch, really wanted to push further but didn't have the funds right away and then had an opportunity that took me to Wisconsin.

At one point Greg Abbot and Rick Perry knew what was going on and were following this as well as some folks in the House and Senate of Texas. I hope it'll inspire them to strengthen the part of the 2nd Amendment that gets overlooked, knife rights.

My Texas CHL that was given back to me but now changed to a Wisconsin address and I've also obtained a Wisconsin CWL while I reside here.

Again thanks for the support.

********************Historic or Old First Post**************************************

Ok, folks here's the point where I put a chapter and verse out on the Internet with enough information for the curious to do a virtual anal probe of my life. Please use lube.

So Travis County, DPS were the arresting officers.

Proof this really happened is easy to obtain.

Thursday March 14th I road to the Texas State Capitol building on my motorcycle. In Austin I planed to testify in support of a handful of bills that would allow the carry of handguns on college campuses and open carry of handguns by a Concealed Handgun Licensee (CHL).

I was carrying my handgun, concealed, and pocket knife and a knife with a blade of 6.25 inches long in a sheath on my belt, open to the world.

In the Texas State Capitol building there are two lines to enter. The metal detector line and the Concealed Handgun Licensee line that lets anyone with a license bypass the metal detectors. I used the CHL line, no issues.

Texas law refers to a knife with a blade over 5.5 inches long as an "illegal knife" that you generally can't have on your person except for a few exceptions such as travelling, hunting, fishing, at my home or place of business.

The law also states it doesn't apply to a person who is carrying a concealed handgun and a valid concealed handgun license (CHL). The crux of that is that the majority LEOs don't know or, as I found out, don't choose to acknowledge the plainness of this exception. I thought I stood a good chance of successfully disputing an arrest by pointing out the law in the event I was stopped.

Once at the building I passed though security, with my CHL, and went around looking for the meeting room. I asked no fewer than 4 DPS officers around the capitol building where the room was located. My sense of direction sucks, it's easy to get turned around in that building as well.

I went into the meeting, passing a group of 3 DPS officers, found out I had to register outside the room, went out passing them again, registered, and went back in and listened to the folks testifying for and against the campus carry bills.

About an hr later, mother nature called. I found a polite time to leave, when others were also leaving and I left the room.

Outside there were several DPS officers waiting... For me.

As far as not talking to the police.

I kept my comments, as much as I could, to the point of pointing out the law. When they asked how long the knife is I said it was a good idea to measure it at that point they did.

I spent the next couple of hours showing them where the law stated I was OK, them scratching their heads and even had a lively debate among them with 2 out of 12 folks agreeing with me and the others wanting to book me and let the DA figure it out. They checked my CHL status, my DL took my knifes, gun and holsters and sheath.

They did allow me to pee. I was sweating it though for a bit.

The knife was measured and measured wrong at 7.25 inches on a paper cutter that started at one inch on the ruler.

They then printed out 46.15 (b) 1-8 that had been hand hightlited at the top

(b) Section 46.02 does not apply to a person who:

And then down to the bottom of the page was also highlited.

(6) is carrying a concealed handgun and a valid license issued under Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code, to carry a concealed handgun of the same category as the handgun the person is carrying;

I was then asked if this is what I was referring to. I said yes, that's it. May I leave now?

I was then told I was ignorant of the law, the section in question only is valid for handguns.

I got arrested, booked in jail, charged with Unlawfully Carrying a Weapon (For my knife not my gun) and spent the night there till I was approved for personal bail. I got some sleep at the jail (Don't ask me how), got out at about 3:30am and then found my motorcycle and drove home.

This was a Class A Misdemeanour charge. I have been notified under section 411.187 that I may no longer carry and have turned in my CHL.

I've hired a lawyer.

In selecting a lawyer I narrowed it down to five, then sent a brief description of the charges in an email. All either emailed or called back. Only one I think really understood.

First email from him:
    "Mr. [Matefrio],

Are you saying you were: (1) carrying your concealed handgun license; and (2) carrying a concealed handgun; and (3) carrying a knife with a blade over five and one-half inches?

Thank you for contacting me."

My Response: "That is correct."

Second email:
    Mr. [Matefrio],

In that case you have an interesting case of statutory interpretation, one that the authors of 46.15(b)(6) probably did not anticipate, but one that appears to have merit.

He also seems to be very familiar with guns personally.

In further conversations he's stated it's really not even statutory interpretation as to have a case of that the law would need to be vague, in this case he believes it's not vague at all.

The plan now is to file a motion to suppress the arrest with the judge. Most likely the DA will appeal the motion even if the judge grants my request. In that case I hire an appeals lawyer and we go though the process again.

I've communicated to my lawyer that the desired outcome of all this is that myself and others don't get caught up in this same situation.

There are no guarantees this will forge that path. But I think I've got an opportunity to make a trail head.

The knife:
    rockcreekwapiti.jpg

http://www.texasguntalk.com/forums/...al-defense-fund-[please-read].html#post638834

Last edited:

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    Good Luck, hate to see you put through the wringer like this. This proactive knife crusade seems to have been a quest of yours for a while now. Hopefully this will be what it takes to get the situation clarified to a lot more folks.

Have you contacted your elected state representatives for help?

cbigclarke

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    cypress
    no lube needed for me.

i will give you no shit (pun intended)

i dont know what, but what ever i can do for you consider it done

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Good Luck, hate to see you put through the wringer like this. This proactive knife crusade seems to have been a quest of yours for a while now. Hopefully this will be what it takes to get the situation clarified to a lot more folks.

Have you contacted your elected state representatives for help?

Thanks, yes. If the DA is aggressive to this motion to dismiss, other actions get put into motion as well.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    I Didn't Beat the Ride - Illegal Knife + CHL + Concealed Handgun = Jail + Charg

Did you wear the big knife hoping to find yourself in this situation? Just curious.

I doubt I would even have concealed carry, much less carry a big ol knife.

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Did you wear the big knife hoping to find yourself in this situation? Just curious.

I doubt I would even have concealed carry, much less carry a big ol knife.

1) I didn't hope to be arrested or charged. "big ol knife" was .25 of an inch too big in their view so it's all relative.

2) There were folks testifying that day in front of the House Committee Chairman that they were CHL holders and had guns on them.

Jon Payne

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Third Coast
    I Didn't Beat the Ride - Illegal Knife + CHL + Concealed Handgun = Jail + Charg

Matefrio,

I hate this sir. I've chatted with you in person and believe you to be a sincere and honest man. This incident has been my fear in regards to others interpretation of the law. Prayers sent.

Respectfully,
    Jon Payne

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    "big ol knife" was .25 of an inch too big in their view so it's all relative.

I thought it was 5 1/2+ inches to be considered illegal, so yours is 3/4 (.75) inch over the limit right?

Also, you need to start making some contingency plans.

If you are convicted, or accept a plea it most likely will involve you not being able to possess firearms, among other things. Even with misdemeanors they will insist that there be no guns in the house as you do your probation and/or community service. So start thinking about where to store them for the duration. Better with friends and family than with the state.

Hope this does not happen and the case gets tossed out, but you never know.

Best wishes as always, and please keep us posted. I am sure you can find plenty of good character witnesses on here if you ask.

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    I thought it was 5 1/2+ inches to be considered illegal, so yours is 3/4 (.75) inch over the limit right?

Hope this does not happen and the case gets tossed out, but you never know.

Best wishes as always, and please keep us posted. I am sure you can find plenty of good character witnesses on here if you ask.

Darn fractions, you're right. I have contingencies. It's taken a week to get all the ducks possible in a row.

ALCSTUDIOS

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2013
    Irving Tx
    Best of luck to you Matefrio, sorry this has happened to you, keep us posted on the outcome and drop me a line if there is anything I can do to help.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    Good luck. And as Acera said, if they insist that you have no firearms in your home during the process, do NOT trust the state to keep them. Farm them out to trusted relatives/friends.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Thaskinny1
    Top Bottom