I dodged a really big bullet

Discussion in 'General Firearms & Ammo' started by ml1209, Apr 21, 2009.

1. ml1209

ml1209 Active Member

Jan 14, 2009
    I was driving from TX to AZ, and passed through NM. There was a Border Patrol checking station on the highway and all the vehicles had to go through it.

Well, I thought they just waved the vehicles through so I didn't really stop. Mistake.

A Border Patrol agent called out to me, and eyed me suspiciously. "Why didn't you stop? Didn't you see the stop sign?"

Honestly, I didn't as the vehicle in front of me was a big truck that blocked my view. That's what I told him.

He then started to ask me a bunch of questions about where I came from, where I was going, was this my personal car, etc. Then, he shined a light into my backseat and looks to see what I had in there.

Finally, he waved me through. What he didn't find, was a Mossberg 590 shotgun, and a duffle bag filled with about ten handguns that I brought on the trip for range shooting when I got to AZ.

That would've been a little hard to explain. :p

2. knayewesttx

knayewesttx New Member

Dec 15, 2008
    San Antonio, Texas
    lucky!!

3. ambidextrous1

ambidextrous1 Member

The border patrol agents are usually pretty cool; they have limited interest in activities that aren't related to enforcement of border security.

I pass through that check point several times a year. If I'm wearing sunglasses, I remove them before I get close, roll down the driver's window, and slow down. I have always been waved through before I come to a stop.

Maybe it's because I have red hair and blue eyes - but the BP agents don't have much interest in me...:indifferent0004:

4. navyguy

navyguy TGT Addict

Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    Is it against the law in NM to transport guns in your vehical?

5. DrBart2

DrBart2 Active Member

Mar 10, 2008
    Burleson
    I went through a check point once when coming from a motorcycle rally down in South Padre. They were really checking everyone out, looking closely at everyone and looking into their vehicles. I was ready to quickly dig out my DL and CHL, curious as to what they would say or do (it was a boring ride!). After they thoroughly checked out the car in front of me I pulled up, but before I could stop they just waved me on! I didn't even get to stop! :(
    I was looking forward to the conversation. I guess I just didn't fit what they were looking for, either that or they were tired of talking to all the bikers coming from the rally. Bikers have a tendency to be a talkative bunch! The poor Border Patrol officers were probably tired of checking all the bikes comeing through! I guess I don't look like a typical border runner.

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h25/Chaos_l2eaper/MCtrip-Kerville034.jpg

ml1209, I bet you would have been spending a little time with the Border Patrol if they had found those guns! If everything was legitimate all you would have lost was some time.

6. DrBart2

DrBart2 Active Member

Mar 10, 2008
    Burleson
    No, I transport all the time up to NRA Whittington Center near Raton.

7. Shorts

Shorts TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    +1

According to the googling of NM gun laws, there is no conflict or confrontation.

The posting of this thread helps perpetuate the stereotype and attitude that firearms are wrong/illegal/something that should be hidden

:mad0071:

8. JKTex

JKTex Well-Known

Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas

+1

And that crashing a border patrol check point is cool. :lolz: Ok, I'm just kidding about that last part. :p

But, I'm curious what "big bullet" was dodged? Not stopping was an honest mistake that got you questioned and looked at a little closer which is understandable. I don't see the big bullet. :headscratch:

I'm sure it was a little nerve racking though.

9. JKTex

JKTex Well-Known

Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    Wait, as my brain digests this, I became perplexed.

Border Patrol with check points within the state, and between states? Isn't there enough to do "on" the border? And if enough was done "on" the border there would be a need to try to chase anyone within the state or states?

Just brain food....

10. Shorts

Shorts TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Mar 28, 2008
    Texas

Yeah, they do them a lot in AZ. My husband got into a big argument with his mom (Tuscon resident) when he said he'd refuse consent to search...especially with his Hispanic wife in the vehicle :rofl:

"Go Tim! Run it!" :lolz:

Uh oh, did I just put myself on a terror watch list?? :devil: If it wasn't going to church, buying firearms, marrying a Navy man, or being a registered Repulican, I think I'm totally screwed :patriot: