• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ml1209

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    I was driving from TX to AZ, and passed through NM. There was a Border Patrol checking station on the highway and all the vehicles had to go through it.

Well, I thought they just waved the vehicles through so I didn't really stop. Mistake.

A Border Patrol agent called out to me, and eyed me suspiciously. "Why didn't you stop? Didn't you see the stop sign?"

Honestly, I didn't as the vehicle in front of me was a big truck that blocked my view. That's what I told him.

He then started to ask me a bunch of questions about where I came from, where I was going, was this my personal car, etc. Then, he shined a light into my backseat and looks to see what I had in there.

Finally, he waved me through. What he didn't find, was a Mossberg 590 shotgun, and a duffle bag filled with about ten handguns that I brought on the trip for range shooting when I got to AZ.

That would've been a little hard to explain. :p
    Hurley's Gold

ambidextrous1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The border patrol agents are usually pretty cool; they have limited interest in activities that aren't related to enforcement of border security.

I pass through that check point several times a year. If I'm wearing sunglasses, I remove them before I get close, roll down the driver's window, and slow down. I have always been waved through before I come to a stop.

Maybe it's because I have red hair and blue eyes - but the BP agents don't have much interest in me...

DrBart2

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2008
    Burleson
    I went through a check point once when coming from a motorcycle rally down in South Padre. They were really checking everyone out, looking closely at everyone and looking into their vehicles. I was ready to quickly dig out my DL and CHL, curious as to what they would say or do (it was a boring ride!). After they thoroughly checked out the car in front of me I pulled up, but before I could stop they just waved me on! I didn't even get to stop! :(
    I was looking forward to the conversation. I guess I just didn't fit what they were looking for, either that or they were tired of talking to all the bikers coming from the rally. Bikers have a tendency to be a talkative bunch! The poor Border Patrol officers were probably tired of checking all the bikes comeing through! I guess I don't look like a typical border runner.

[url]http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h25/Chaos_l2eaper/MCtrip-Kerville034.jpg[/URL]

ml1209, I bet you would have been spending a little time with the Border Patrol if they had found those guns! If everything was legitimate all you would have lost was some time.

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    Is it against the law in NM to transport guns in your vehical?

+1

According to the googling of NM gun laws, there is no conflict or confrontation.

The posting of this thread helps perpetuate the stereotype and attitude that firearms are wrong/illegal/something that should be hidden

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    +1

According to the googling of NM gun laws, there is no conflict or confrontation.

The posting of this thread helps perpetuate the stereotype and attitude that firearms are wrong/illegal/something that should be hidden

+1

And that crashing a border patrol check point is cool. Ok, I'm just kidding about that last part. :p

But, I'm curious what "big bullet" was dodged? Not stopping was an honest mistake that got you questioned and looked at a little closer which is understandable. I don't see the big bullet.

I'm sure it was a little nerve racking though.

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    Wait, as my brain digests this, I became perplexed.

Border Patrol with check points within the state, and between states? Isn't there enough to do "on" the border? And if enough was done "on" the border there would be a need to try to chase anyone within the state or states?

Just brain food....

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas

Border Patrol with check points within the state, and between states? Isn't there enough to do "on" the border? And if enough was done "on" the border there would be a need to try to chase anyone within the state or states?

Just brain food....

Yeah, they do them a lot in AZ. My husband got into a big argument with his mom (Tuscon resident) when he said he'd refuse consent to search...especially with his Hispanic wife in the vehicle

"Go Tim! Run it!"

Uh oh, did I just put myself on a terror watch list?? If it wasn't going to church, buying firearms, marrying a Navy man, or being a registered Repulican, I think I'm totally screwed :patriot:

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    I don't see the big bullet.

Lighten up, why don't ya? :p I am sure that with all the hooplah over smuggling guns into Mexico, and his perceived reluctance to stop, the agent would probably have grilled him pretty good. Yeah, no harm, no foul, but one man's "a little nerve racking" is another man's "big bullet." ;)

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Many years back while out in Del Rio we went thru a B.P stop. Truck bed was littered with beer cans, locked & loaded .45 on the dash & my H&K 91 sitting between me & my buddy. They didn't blink an eye.

brickboy240

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Houston, TX, USA
    When I travel down to a buddy's house in Laredo, I always drive my old 91 Volvo sedan. The trunk is usually full of guns and ammo because we shoot alot down there.

Why that old car and not my Tundra? Well...because the Border Patrol does not even look twice at a 40 year old blue eyed anglo, driving an old Volvo...thats why!

I mean...seriously...unless I am firing my Ak out the window at them...I doubt they'd ever stop me.

LOL

- brickboy240

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Yeah, they do them a lot in AZ. My husband got into a big argument with his mom (Tuscon resident) when he said he'd refuse consent to search...especially with his Hispanic wife in the vehicle

Good on him. As a rule, it's also not a bad idea to refuse to answer questions, too, though that annoys the crap out of them and then they start threatening you with "you know I can arrest you for not answering" and BS like that.

45tex

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    I made the run from Houston to LA 3 times last year. If you are on I-10 the Border Patrol is all over the place. They have always treated me with respect and I always thank them for their service. I think its a tough sucky job that is way too political. That's hard on the guy actually doing the job. That said you are OK until you reach the peoples republik de Kalifornia. The Border Patrol is still OK but the jack booted thugs in the CHP will if they are there, take a non Kalifornia Apple out of a kids hand. When I was a kid my Dad would stop and we would hide all the food and fruit snacks. I sincerely pray that I never have to set foot in that State again.
    New Mexico and Arizona are great.

Reacher

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2008
    Grand Prairie, TX
    I worked in El Paso for about 9 months and it didn't really matter if you were taking I-10 east or west, or if you were on 25 north. There is a checkpoint on every highway out of El Paso. They have never messed with me. I suppose I don't look very Latin. :)

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    I worked in El Paso for about 9 months and it didn't really matter if you were taking I-10 east or west, or if you were on 25 north. There is a checkpoint on every highway out of El Paso. They have never messed with me. I suppose I don't look very Latin. :)

I used to travel to Silver City NM and when we didn't fly direct into the barn in Silver City, we'd fly in to El Paso and drive from there. I never once ever saw anything but El Paso Police and that was only to pull us over for speeding. Luckily a co-worker, a female from Boston, was driving so she only got a warning.

I guess the more current political climate has driven more visible actions like that.

TxPhantom

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Frisco, Texas

Just brain food....

Yeah......I thought the same thing!!

Top Bottom