I know I know not another one...

onac255

Mar 2, 2008
El Paso, TX
Is it illegal to drive through a school zone with a loaded gun in my truck in Texas?

onac255

Mar 2, 2008
El Paso, TX
Are you sure about that? As far as I knew school property was a no no.

I was just curious as far as a school "zone" was concerned.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
May 28, 2008
Ft Worth, TX
oops, double tap...

Here is the law;

Texas Penal Code
Sec. 46.03. PLACES WEAPONS PROHIBITED. (a) A person commits an offense if the person intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly possesses or goes with a firearm, illegal knife, club, or prohibited weapon listed in Section 46.05(a):
(1) on the physical premises of a school or educational institution, any grounds or building on which an activity sponsored by a school or educational institution is being conducted, or a passenger transportation vehicle of a school or educational institution, whether the school or educational institution is public or private, unless pursuant to written regulations or written authorization of the institution;

(c) In this section:
(1) "Premises" has the meaning assigned by Section 46.035.

Sec. 46.035.

(3) "Premises" means a building or a portion of a building. The term does not include any public or private driveway, street, sidewalk or walkway, parking lot, parking garage, or other parking area.

JKTex

Well-Known
Mar 11, 2008
DFW, North Texas
I often wonder how long people have lived in Texas when questions come up like this. No offense meant, but it's bewildering sometimes.

I say that in part also, because with so many people flooding Texas over the last several years, and most/many don't bother learning about the state they are invading, people get really freaked out, especially involving guns, because of the places they come from. In some cases, it can cause undue "issues".

I can't imagine what would happen if someone drove around my area with a long gun in a gun rack in the back window. There'd be yankee accents that people thought they'd lost, screaming at 911 operators who are trying to calm them down enough to understand what they hell they are saying.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
May 28, 2008
Ft Worth, TX
right, "on premises" and i had said property is what i was referring to...

just trying to clarify is all.
You can carry on "property" . Only place restricted is a building or a part of a building.

Don't worry, we are not judging you. If I didn't teach this stuff I'd not likely have it figured out at all.

Support

Sponsors

Greeneye Tactical
silencers
third coast
DK Firearms
Tyrant Designs
Ranier
Shroud
Every Day Man

Latest posts

Forum statistics