• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • country_boy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Round Rock
    I have one of those cheap winchester knifes currently*belongs in the tackle box* and I need something bigger stays sharp longer and why not.. "tactical"

Im not sure blade terminology but, I see some blades have a 45 degree at the point goes down from there. Not round like a regular knife.

Thanks.
    ARJ Defense ad

Mikewood

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Houston
    You need a tactical knife I your tackle box? I am assuming for fishing? Ok. CRKY makes a nice knife as does buck. The edge holding abbilities is as much keepin the knife oiled and cared for and not abusing it. You might consider a short fillet knife and aa nail clipper as additions.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I don't carry a combat knife any more as I tote a pistol instead. The best knife I've ever owned is a Gerber "Applegate/Fairbairn" Combat Folder and the same knife in "covert" (smaller) size. They aren't cheap but if you even THINK you'll need a knife for serious social intercourse, it's perfectly designed for the job. I'll sign out and go to Smokey Mountain Knife Works to see if I can snag a link for you. For years, I carried one or the other size depending on where I was going and how I was dressed. Mine are double edged and I sharpened both edges. There was a single edged model long ago but I had one and lost it. Man, that hurt!

Edit...full size knife
    http://www.smkw.com/webapp/eCommerce/products/applegate/Gerber®+Applegate-Fairbairn®+Combat%26%23153%3B/G5780.html

Covert size knife
    http://www.smkw.com/webapp/eCommerce/products/applegate/Gerber®+Applegate-Fairbairn®+Covert%26%23153%3B/G5785.html

Flash

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    Budget?

Try an Al Mar Eagle: $200.00 ish.

EagleHeavyDutyknife.jpg

Benchmade 710

54796.jpg

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    Spyderco make a good product.

http://www.spyderco.com/

+1 on the Spiderco. I really like my Delica with ZDP189 Steel blade. That steel is super hard and chip resistant and stays sharp better than any folder I've had. Also available with VG steel blade for about $20 less, which is also a good stainless.

Spiderco1-OPM.gif

However, working around the house and yard, I've been carrying a very inexpensive Gerber skeletonized folder. I think it was about $20 at Academy. It's really a good value, especially for utility work where you don't want to worry to much if you screw it up or even lose it.

cuate

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Comanche Co., Texas
    Sorry, no photos, My pocket knife is a three bladed, medium sized farmer/rancher type, yellow handled made by Moore, Matador, Texas with good warranty. They aren't cheap !

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Tanto blades are great for stabbing through 16th century Samurai armor, not so good for cutting.
    Works good on modern armor, too, but yeah... I don't really like tanto blades either.

I'm a pretty big fan of almost everything Kershaw. Good knives at affordable prices.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Kershaw's hard to beat. Good blades, great warranty, good price.

IMO, skip the tanto, but look for partial-serration. Serrated blades are useful as hell.

Top Bottom