• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TundraWookiee

Scruffy Nerf Herder
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    Cedar Park
    I carry one of the Gerber FAST models...assisted one hand opening with locking blade and partial serration. Its a good quick draw knife for my type of everyday use.

I will second Flash's recommendation of the Gerber "Applegate/Fairbairn" combat folder though. One of my favorite knives in my very large collection.
    Hurley's Gold

tequila45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2011
    aurora, il
    I used to carry nothing but spydercos, switched to a benchmade presidio then settled on the 710 mentioned earlier (mchenry williams).
    Now I carry Kershaw...good value for the amount of knife you get. I'm not worried if I damage it or lose (that much!!)
    Look for Kershaw chill on bladeplay.com or amazon.com. $20 shipped, long enough blade, light, thin enough to not even
    know its there. Or the new R.J. Martin design kershaws are nice as well. Also learn to sharpen them yourself and the blade steel
    is not that big a factor ( atleast for me).

jbcalhoun

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Midland, TX.
    I am really partial to my SOG Twitch II. It holds an edge well. I have carried it for about 3 years and would have nothing else.

This is a well made, not high priced knife. Two things I have that I like, my dog and my knife. Well three if I have to count my wife! LOL

Brad

stalker19

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 6, 2012
    Mom's basement
    For me it's generally a Spiderco Endura 4 in VG-10. Economical and quality. Holds an edge well, extremely corrosion resistand and durable for what it is. I don't get as angry when they get lost, confiscated etc.

Or, if you're feeling like a particularly baller AND brute... I have a Strider SMF in the classifieds. :)

JavaPatriot

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 21, 2012
    Houston/Baytown
    Ya know I have NUMEROUS William Henry knives that range from $300 to $3000 and carry a Skeletonized cheapo Gerber I bought at Lowe's for $20.... For my daily abuse it knife I would rather know it's going to dull and possibly even get broken than be upset about it. If the latter happens then another $20 and I'm on my way. Plenty tough and will hold an alright edge. IMO

kurt

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Tyler, Texas
    I'm happy with my CRKT M16 Z knife I recently purchased.

crm16-03z_xlarge_1993_full_245_1003_dd2.jpg

kfc903

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 9, 2012
    Waco, TX
    Sorry, no photos, My pocket knife is a three bladed, medium sized farmer/rancher type, yellow handled made by Moore, Matador, Texas with good warranty. They aren't cheap !

I have a Moore Maker knife with my initials in it. They are good old school knives.

kfc903

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 9, 2012
    Waco, TX

Tomservo92

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2012
    The Woodlands, TX
    Benchmades are good. I've also owned a couple of SOGs. Columbia River makes decent knives too.

My favorite all time carry knife is my SOG Pentagon Elite I.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    It's all in the steel. Avoid anything that says just "stainless steel" or (worse) "surgical steel". Also avoid, "440" or "440A". (440C is OK.) AUS-6 is like 440A.

Steels with vanadium (like VG-10) will really hold an edge, but don't ever let it get dull or you'll do a LOT of work to get it sharp again. Good steels include 154CM, ATS-34, CPM-5V, BG-42, S30V, and VG-10. Carbon steels are also good, but you usually don't see them in pocketknives. These would include 1080, 1095, and 5160.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    I have carried a Gerber Paraframe mini for years. I need another. Last one I had to trash at the airport again.

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    It's all in the steel. Avoid anything that says just "stainless steel" or (worse) "surgical steel". Also avoid, "440" or "440A". (440C is OK.) AUS-6 is like 440A.

Steels with vanadium (like VG-10) will really hold an edge, but don't ever let it get dull or you'll do a LOT of work to get it sharp again. Good steels include 154CM, ATS-34, CPM-5V, BG-42, S30V, and VG-10. Carbon steels are also good, but you usually don't see them in pocketknives. These would include 1080, 1095, and 5160.

It's really all in the heat treat. An OK steel with a good heat treat will outperform the newest whiz-bang steel with a poor heat treat. And the more complex the steel gets, the more complicated becomes a proper heat treat.

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    It's really all in the heat treat. An OK steel with a good heat treat will outperform the newest whiz-bang steel with a poor heat treat. And the more complex the steel gets, the more complicated becomes a proper heat treat.

That applies if you're making your own knife. One expects a knifemaker to understand heat treating. My point was to make sure you know what steel is in the blade and not just absorb the sales pitch.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I came back to visit this thread and thought I could share about knife shapes as mentioned in the OP. Each shape has a classic pattern and a specific shape and it might be worth a few minutes to research them. Off the top of my head I remember these:
    Clip saber blade
    Sheeps Foot
    Pen blade
    Dirk
    Stiletto
    Spay blade

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blade

There is even a "one armed man" blade pattern.

Check 'em out!

On another note, I had a job where the inspection department was located right behind where I worked. At the time, I was big into pocket kinfe collecting so I used the company Rockwell hardness tested on hundreds of knife blades! The Rockwell "C" scale is perfect for testing knife blades. The best? Carbon steel blades are almost the hardness of a gear tooth and can run into the RC upper 50 to 60 range. The case hardened gear teeth ran RC 58-62. The hard case was .010" to .015" deep with softer material beneath it. Hard carbon steel blades hold a great edge but can be brittle and they rust like crazy.

Stainless blades are usually much softer, less apt to chip but don't hold an edge as well. The stainless blades were lower in RC hardness but were very resistant to breakage. The classic knife fight situation is to stab a man and he turns in reaction to being stuck. That snaps the blade of the knife right off. It is very common.

My opinion on the best? A carbon steel blade with a rust preventive coating like black oxide or even flash chrome or plating of some kind. My favorite is the black oxide or similar.

Flash

Top Bottom