• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    You don't remember all the dives outside the back gate?
    I always went in and out the gate on the west side, but I honestly don't remember much about what was right there. It was over 20 years ago.

I will admit the apartments I was living in were pretty ghetto... but I was 19 and could just walk across the street to the beech :laughing:

Dad_Roman

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2018
    Teague
    Is there anything out there besides the base? I remember visiting my daughter and her family when she was married to a marine stationed there in the late 90's. I don't remember much else besides the base.
    Little stores and little cafe's all full of millions of those tiny alcohol bottles. Never seen so many choices. Along with paraphernalia....and meth heads.

And bad roads, unreal. We rented a brand spankin new Kia Sorento and when I turned it in a week later it was completely worn out. I wouldnt have given a thousand dollars for it.

BBL

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 8, 2021
    TX

I Should had Carried my EDC Pistol in Killeen​

You call it an "EDC", yet you do not carry it every day. Misnomer?
    You better start carrying every day. You have no idea when a machete man shows up out of nowhere. Or when you get car jacked. Even at a nice gas station or in a nice neighborhood.
    That's what EDC is for, to carry EVERY day.
    Stay safe!

mongoose

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    nm
    We built an Apartment Complex in Killeen back in the 80s. ( started to anyways). It was a cluster pluck of a town then.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    Little stores and little cafe's all full of millions of those tiny alcohol bottles. Never seen so many choices. Along with paraphernalia....and meth heads.

And bad roads, unreal. We rented a brand spankin new Kia Sorento and when I turned it in a week later it was completely worn out. I wouldnt have given a thousand dollars for it.
    Yeah, I don't remember much about the place other than the housing on the base, just that it was out in the middle of nowhere. I was TDY to San Diego at the time.

TJjerry

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 5, 2019
    Magnolia, tx
    I didn't look to see where Killeen sits in the stats but here is what came back from a quick check of the Google.
    Several surprise me. If out the driveway, I carry.
    I at least carry a snake charmer when in the yard.

Top 10 safest places to live in Texas

1. Horizon City
    2. Fulshear
    3. Colleyville
    4. Memorial Villages
    5. Fairview
    6. Elgin
    7. McKinney
    8. Frisco
    9. Sugar Land
    10. Pearland

The ten most dangerous cities in Texas are:
    1. Bellmead
    2. Humble
    3. Lubbock
    4. Bastrop
    5. Palmview
    6. Livingston
    7. Houston
    8. Alamo
    9. Amarillo
    10. Beaumont

Jnaguns234

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2022
    Killeen
    I currently live about 20 minutes west of Hood and work on post every day. I drive down rancier quite often but never after dark.

In fact, I don't go north of 190 after dark. Nothing good is gonna happen down there.

DaBull

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 19, 2021
    San Antonio, TX
    An Aurora CO (Denver suburb) police officer who was previously AF Security Forces once briefed me and some other new arrivals to Denver to stay away from several areas at night, that roughly corresponded to the area near Fitzimmons (former army base) and Lowry (former AF base). His theory was: long ago, military were paid in cash or checks (which were promptly cashed) and they immediately walked off base/post to party on payday. The areas then filled with check cashing services, loan services, strip clubs, bars, and worse. Once we went to direct deposit, it was too late. Decades of seedy businesses had destroyed the neighborhoods around military bases for good.

Hank1973

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2020
    I went to an event with my spouse in the 700 Block area of Rancier in Killeen. That is a crazy dangerous area of Killeen. We got out at about 9:00-9:30 PM.

Lots of strange folks around there at night.

One guy with a backpack with machete strapped to it wanted to “ make contact “ so to speak.

I told my naive Filipino spouse to Go Go damn it. She as usual was slow and obstinate.

She is from a rough neighborhood in Mindanao and despite my explanation felt that she could manage things.

Next time one of my EDC pieces will be with me. Killeen is a rough town but even more so around Rancier.

LESSON LEARNED!
    My wife doesn’t understand why I carry everywhere. Unfortunately the world we live in now necessitates it.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    My wife doesn’t understand why I carry everywhere. Unfortunately the world we live in now necessitates it.

My wife doesn't either, but she's accepted the idea that I need to reinforce the habit so I don't forget to carry "when I might need it"...

And of course, since it's impossible to predict when that time of need might be, I always carry.

striker55

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2021
    Katy
    My wife has accepted it and would wonder why if I didn't carry. She even knows I need shirts that don't tuck and pants a size bigger.

Top Bottom