ARJ Defense ad

I think AWS just killed arfcom (nope, GoDaddy did)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dougw1515

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2020
    USA
    This is somewhat like what happened to me yesterday on multiple gun sites. Then later I got back in. Trial run?

Ya' know when you start editing routing tables n' the likes a bit here or a bit there can have less than desirable results and can take a few minutes to figure out ya' screwed something up and a few more minutes to fix it.
    Guns International

SQLGeek

Muh state lines
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    I just tried it from my phone and get ye olde 404. Wow.

So it's the registration.

ETA: Maybe not, IP address 404s also.

CyberWolf

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2018
    US
    Just saw this...

9b783482bc310e082ab6c08ccbe16e34.jpg

Mods - we got a plan and backup domain/hosting for this scenario?

Last edited:

lonestardiver

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Eagle Mountain Lake area
    Sooooo, if the DNS for arfcom doesn’t resolve anymore, use the IP?

Yes....
    DNS allows for more of a human readable format that allows for a consistent lookup based on a name that in turn points to the actual address. This the address can change but everyone asks asks for the site by name is still able to get there. By going to the IP address you are going straight to them bypassing the address lookup.

CyberWolf

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2018
    US
    Yes....
    DNS allows for more of a human readable format that allows for a consistent lookup based on a name that in turn points to the actual address. This the address can change but everyone asks asks for the site by name is still able to get there. By going to the IP address you are going straight to them bypassing the address lookup.
    Just wanted to note that the above will often work, but not always...For example, If the web server is using SNI (e.g. multiple sites per IP/Port/Server), or behind similarly configured NLBs, that won't work...

You would need to create an entry in your 'hosts' file to map the host name to IP (just don't forget it's there; may need to change it later).

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    How to "hack" your windows computer to get to arfcom.

Go to this file:

C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\HOSTS <-- it's a file with no extension

It is a text file, but you have to drag drop into notepad. (Yes NOTEPAD, NOTHING ELSE.)

At the top, the very absolute top; add blank lines. Save the file. If it bitches about saving, you have to mess with permissions. Stop here and find a site to learn to do this with better instructions. Look for "hosts file ad blocker" and use their instructions to be able to save the file, then restart below:

In the blank lines, add this, exactly this:

ar15.com 3.138.255.236ar15.com 3.139.193.203
    ar15.com 3.20.37.167

Save the file.

This tells your computer where ar15.com is on the internet if the domain name is not working.

You must repeat for all computers you want to use. If you use a phone, you're fucked. (Until someone comes along to provide instructions.)

Top Bottom