Military Camp

I think I want to buy a handgun, not sure what route.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Darkpriest667

Actually Attends
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2017
    Jarrell TX, United States
    Higgins, Academy is a good store to get firearms (and ammo if you don't order online) You should absolutely ask counter folks to let you hold the gun. See how it feels in your hand. a G43 (and a shield) feel good in mine, but I am 5'4 and 130 pounds. My hands are considerably smaller than most full grown men.

I've never held the Sig 2022 so I have no idea how big it is. I would absolutely ask to hold them.
    DK Firearms

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    Although Academy's prices are often lower then say a gun store, I would look around, you could often find good deals elsewhere.

TexasBrandon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 14, 2011
    Salado
    Consider a Baby Eagle 9mm too, fantastic handgun and was my first ever handgun many many years ago. Has functioned flawlessly ever since I bought it. Magnum Research is who makes them and you can get them in whatever common caliber you want for the most part.

I've got one in 9mm and .40. If I make the meet I can bring them both.

Keyston512

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 26, 2016
    Austin
    If you're in or around Austin, it wouldn't hurt to stop in at GT Distributors. They have G17 and M&P9 police trade-ins priced 350 and 290, respectively. I would post a link to their gunbroker account but I don't know if that's allowed.

AR1911

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    +1 on the G19. Pretty much the Universal SD Handgun. I have two, but I never shoot them. Most other handguns are more interesting IMO

If you don't have a 22 you need one. The Rugers in the MKIV style are a great choice. You might also consider the Colt 1911-22 Gold Cup. Reasonable price, 1911, Colt.

I don't really understand the purpose though. Storage?

Texasgordo

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 15, 2008
    Gonzales, Texas
    If you're in or around Austin, it wouldn't hurt to stop in at GT Distributors. They have G17 and M&P9 police trade-ins priced 350 and 290, respectively. I would post a link to their gunbroker account but I don't know if that's allowed.
    That's what I would do. They would be the best way to get a cheap lightly used 9mm.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    ^^Yep - if you had a reasonable idea about what you want, that is hard to beat. You could always sell it and you'd lose next to nothing.

Higgins909

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2016
    Pflugerville
    I'm in Hutto. I got to hold some guns. Right now I'm thinking M&P 9mm full size or G17 gen4. I completely forgot about the SIG 2022 (I'm not sure on the difference SP2022 vs 2022) But I was trying to compare back at home and I want to have 5+ magazines eventually. The Sig 2022 magazines are $40 and on the website it says it's only a 10rnd, but I feel like it should be a 15rnd+. On the internet I can find Glock mags and M&P 9 mags for $20~

I'm sad to say that the G19 felt too short for whatever reason, the M&P 9 Shield grip felt sharp on my palm and fingers. I'm not sure if I should check the 2022 out or not. I'm wanting to decide between the M&P 9mm (first gen?) or G17. I'm not %100 on what G17 Gen to get. I think the 3rd has 2 mags as well as a smaller mag release that was somewhat difficult for my noob gun skills. (speaking of which, it seemed like it took me my all to release the slide on the M&P 9) Cost $460~ (damn memory and numbers) Gen 4 $499 3 mags, textured grip, grip straps, bigger mag release and slide release.

Something that I wondered if I was doing wrong while looking at the guns, is that when he got a gun out, he safety checked it and I watched, then I looked over the gun and got a feel for it (no trigger :/ ) Should I have safety checked it too?

Keyston512

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 26, 2016
    Austin
    I'm in Hutto. I got to hold some guns. Right now I'm thinking M&P 9mm full size or G17 gen4. I completely forgot about the SIG 2022 (I'm not sure on the difference SP2022 vs 2022) But I was trying to compare back at home and I want to have 5+ magazines eventually. The Sig 2022 magazines are $40 and on the website it says it's only a 10rnd, but I feel like it should be a 15rnd+. On the internet I can find Glock mags and M&P 9 mags for $20~

I'm sad to say that the G19 felt too short for whatever reason, the M&P 9 Shield grip felt sharp on my palm and fingers. I'm not sure if I should check the 2022 out or not. I'm wanting to decide between the M&P 9mm (first gen?) or G17. I'm not %100 on what G17 Gen to get. I think the 3rd has 2 mags as well as a smaller mag release that was somewhat difficult for my noob gun skills. (speaking of which, it seemed like it took me my all to release the slide on the M&P 9) Cost $460~ (damn memory and numbers) Gen 4 $499 3 mags, textured grip, grip straps, bigger mag release and slide release.

Something that I wondered if I was doing wrong while looking at the guns, is that when he got a gun out, he safety checked it and I watched, then I looked over the gun and got a feel for it (no trigger :/ ) Should I have safety checked it too?

You might want to look at a HK VP9, they're being sold on line for $500 and HK is running a 4 free mag special till the end of September.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 11, 2017
    Cypress
    If your looking for a great pistol consider getting a Walther PPS M2 in 9mm cheap ammo, super accurate, and reliable. I love mine...I love that it's concealable but still has a great size for gripping... Only drawback is single stack capacity magazines.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015

You should always personally ascertain whether or not a gun is loaded. Do not rely on anyone else.

Mikewood

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Houston
    It is a really good habit to get into. You and only you are responsible for what come out of the barrel. Not the gun store owner and not the store manager. I check when I am handed the gun and I check again just before I press the trigger. It might seem silly to do it twice but I have never had a ND. Always check and you never will either. No need to knock on wood. Just check and check again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Thaskinny1
    Top Bottom