• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    Even if the person appears to be under 21?
    18y following recent court rulings :)

But you better be able to explain to a judge how you can tell 17y 11m from 18y 0m well enough for it to be up to the probable cause standard...

That said, if you run into a 16 or 17yo carrying on the streets, in my experience, they're usually up to something arrestable already, so are required to ID, but if not sometimes they get lucky. Police may not catch everyone all the time, but the nature of the odds game is they'll get busted eventually.

Sent from my SM-S918B using Tapatalk
    Target Sports

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    18y following recent court rulings :)

But you better be able to explain to a judge how you can tell 17y 11m from 18y 0m well enough for it to be up to the probable cause standard...

That said, if you run into a 16 or 17yo carrying on the streets, in my experience, they're usually up to something arrestable already, so are required to ID, but if not sometimes they get lucky. Police may not catch everyone all the time, but the nature of the odds game is they'll get busted eventually.

Guess I missed/forgot about the change to 18 now.

Can a person that's 18 buy handgun ammo now?

Fixed spelling.

Last edited:

alternative

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2023
    Texas
    Two things to consider, LTC and CC (constitutional carry). For CC I do not believe you need carry any ID. For LTC your ID is your LTC ID and needs to be carried while carrying under authority of LTC. For driving you need carry your drivers license and if CC carrying that is all you need while if LTC carrying you need a LTC and drivers license on you. I don't think pictures of your ID on a phone meet these requirements but a LEO might accept them. Correct me if I am wrong. There is no law that says you always need to carry ID while out in public and you should not have to show ID to LEO without reasonable suspicion of a crime ie traffic violation.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Howdy folks! New here, and not a frequent user of forums so I apologize if I'm bringing up a question whilst beating a dead horse with it…
    Your thought process is ass backwards. Until you provide an LEO a reason to legally demand your identification, the firearm is a no different than a sock, so long as you are legal to possess at that time and location.

wittynitwit

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2023
    Kerens Tx
    Your thought process is ass backwards. Until you provide an LEO a reason to legally demand your identification, the firearm is a no different than a sock, so long as you are legal to possess at that time and

Your thought process is ass backwards. Until you provide an LEO a reason to legally demand your identification, the firearm is a no different than a sock, so long as you are legal to possess at that time and location.
    I'd argue that Terry stops are pretty gray. You don't have to be violating the law for a law enforcement encounter to be legal. Anything found amounting to a crime would be considered justified. I don't necessarily agree with the how those facts were established, but they are emblazoned in law.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    I'd argue that Terry stops are pretty gray. You don't have to be violating the law for a law enforcement encounter to be legal. Anything found amounting to a crime would be considered justified. I don't necessarily agree with the how those facts were established, but they are emblazoned in law.

Argue away. What is illegal about lawful carry in a lawful place?

Shady

The One And Only
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    There are quite a number of 'First Amendment Auditors' out there who while video-ing and remaining on public property sometimes LE will ask the videographer, you got ID on you?

It's my understanding, the videographer is not legally obligated to provide ID 'if' they're not committing a crime or suspected of doing so... but if ID is demanded (not asked) the videographer can simply refuse to produce an ID and hope LE will honor their oath knowing they can 'ask' for ID, but not 'demand' it.

However, if I was OC-ing, (not simply video-ing in public) I would definitely have either a DL on me or some other form of acceptable photo ID.

No, simply OC-ing is not grounds for being interrogated, but if it happens, are you willing to be 'cuffed and stuffed' for refusing to ID?

Certainly, you can refuse to ID, but why not save yourself the bother of arguing with LE?

I'm all for standing on principle about being coerced to ID in the 'First Amendment Auditor' example, but if OC-ing, I wouldn't balk about it.

Oh yeah, this is 'not' legal advice...it's my opinion.

Good Luck!

Be careful of things you see on the internet. Some states are MUST SHOW ID when asked by an officer.

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    Be careful of things you see on the internet. Some states are MUST SHOW ID when asked by an officer.

SCOTUS has ruled that demanding a person to identify themselves equivocates to a search and so a person may not lie, but is not required to provide name, birthday or address until arrested.

There is some nuance, with regards to certain permited behaviors (driving carrying a gun), but for 99% of interactions this is the case.

Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX

Required to show ID or not, my experience has shown it doesn't end well to argue with the officer.

Your mileage may vary.

Top Bottom