• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    The person committed the crime, not the gun. The argument that the gun is responsible is one that liberals and anti-gunners have tried to use for years.

If I sold a car I knew was unsafe and did not pass that information on the buyer and the issue I knew about was the reason for the accident, I would feel bad about it................I guess, however I would never do that so I can't say for sure.

People have to be responsible for their own actions.

I don't like it when folks that try to put forth a debate where an inanimate object is the issue instead of a humans own choices.
    This ^^^^^
    Lynx Defense

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    ...since the people making the laws are clueless a lot of the time I think it applies. ...
    Oh, you don't have to convince me. I'm well aware that by the time everyone gets an edit, what actually goes into the law usually bears little resemblance to what a subject matter expert would consider reasonable. I've written a couple of paragraphs that (sorta) made it into the U.S. Code. By the time they were finalized, maybe 5 words per paragraph were still what I originally wrote and the final product was closer to nonsense than reason.

No, you definitely don't have to convince me.

Army 1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Dallas Texas or so
    Back in the early 70s I had the FBI come to me about a gun I had owned that was used in a crime. I was in the service in Germany at the time of the crime so I wasn't a suspect. However, I had an FFL in the mid to late sixties and that gun was traced to me. I told them that the records were sent to the ATF when I joined the Army and they would have them. Never heard back. Never heard what the crime was. I do know it was a Walther P-38 that I bought through Interarms who was importing a lot of surplus stuff in the 60s. There was no background check at the time. Just about like a face to face sale today with record keeping. A 4473 type of form was required IIRC.

For all I know the gun could have changed hands umpteen times between my selling it and the time of the crime. I choose not to worry about things I can't control or change. While I am sorry the gun was used in a crime, I would not have done anything different base on the information I had at the time.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Are FFLs required to turn in records when they stop being FFLs?
    Yep! There is no database; except for the paper one. Here's where they keep them:
    I-PaperMine_final_social.jpg

kidding... That's actually where they keep VA records, but I'm sure the ATF's underground warehouse is rather similar.

Cogent Design

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2014
    Personally, I wouldn't sell a gun to someone if my gut told me not to. There is another buyer out there.

I would feel angry more than anything if one was used to kill another human being.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    When I was teaching, a student with a shady background brought in a motorcycle to work on. He swore that he owned it. I asked the school cop to run the VIN and it turned out to be stolen from N. Carolina years earlier!

Before the computer era, in Chicago I traded for a cement mixer engine when I was a kid. It was a moose of an engine that I wanted for a Go-Kart. Several years later, cops came to the door and retrieved the engine! How the Hell they traced that thing back to me is beyond my understanding!

Time is on their side. That crap can come back to you!

Flash

Top Bottom