• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    Masking is not effective, unless one using an N95 mask.

I found no evidence in findings 2019 and older (e.g., before the hysteria) that said the cheap masks everyone wears are effective against viruses. And even Faucci admitted masks are not effective.
    NOT correct. It is relatively ‘’effective’’, estimated at 70% by UTHSC experts. The viable viruses do not exist alone in the atmosphere, they all are in small droplets of moisture. Any ‘’mask’’ is better than no mask.

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    In the last 2 weeks I saw another recent study that showed ZERO effectiveness for masks, IIRC even N95 masks, in stopping transmission of any flu type illness. There were several done before the fake pandemic.
    If the studies had ever shown an effectiveness in stopping such transmissions, then the medical field is still neglegent for not pushing them many years ago.
    Most medical uses for masks are not for stopping the transmission of a virus. They are to keep doctors from infecting open wounds and surgical sites with drool and spittal while talking during a procedure. Even an N95 mask if known to be contaminated should immediately be removed and replaced. They have only the minimal protection against transmission of viruses.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    NOT correct. It is relatively ‘’effective’’, estimated at 70% by UTHSC experts. The viable viruses do not exist alone in the atmosphere, they all are in small droplets of moisture. Any ‘’mask’’ is better than no mask.
    YES correct. Be specific. To which type mask do you refer?

From the NIH website:

Conclusion: The N95 filtering face piece respirators may not provide the expected protection level against small virions. Some surgical masks may let a significant fraction of airborne viruses penetrate through their filters, providing very low protection against aerosolized infectious agents in the size range of 10 to 80 nm. It should be noted that the surgical masks are primarily designed to protect the environment from the wearer, whereas the respirators are supposed to protect the wearer from the environment.

Those tiny droplets are truly tiny and will go through masks. And even if larger droplets are initially caught in the mask, they will be expelled as tinier droplets upon subsequent exhaling.

From Cambridge:

Influenza viruses circulate around the world every year. From time to time new strains emerge and cause global pandemics. Many national and international health agencies recommended the use of face masks during the 2009 influenza A (H1N1) pandemic. We reviewed the English-language literature on this subject to inform public health preparedness. There is some evidence to support the wearing of masks or respirators during illness to protect others, and public health emphasis on mask wearing during illness may help to reduce influenza virus transmission. There are fewer data to support the use of masks or respirators to prevent becoming infected

Note the use of "some" and "may".

Another:

This study is the first RCT of cloth masks, and the results caution against the use of cloth masks. This is an important finding to inform occupational health and safety. Moisture retention, reuse of cloth masks and poor filtration may result in increased risk of infection. Further research is needed to inform the widespread use of cloth masks globally. However, as a precautionary measure, cloth masks should not be recommended for HCWs, particularly in high-risk situations, and guidelines need to be updated.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    YES correct. Be specific. To which type mask do you refer?

From the NIH website:

Conclusion: The N95 filtering face piece respirators may not provide the expected protection level against small virions. Some surgical masks may let a significant fraction of airborne viruses penetrate through their filters, providing very low protection against aerosolized infectious agents in the size range of 10 to 80 nm. It should be noted that the surgical masks are primarily designed to protect the environment from the wearer, whereas the respirators are supposed to protect the wearer from the environment.

Those tiny droplets are truly tiny and will go through masks. And even if larger droplets are initially caught in the mask, they will be expelled as tinier droplets upon subsequent exhaling.

From Cambridge:

Influenza viruses circulate around the world every year. From time to time new strains emerge and cause global pandemics. Many national and international health agencies recommended the use of face masks during the 2009 influenza A (H1N1) pandemic. We reviewed the English-language literature on this subject to inform public health preparedness. There is some evidence to support the wearing of masks or respirators during illness to protect others, and public health emphasis on mask wearing during illness may help to reduce influenza virus transmission. There are fewer data to support the use of masks or respirators to prevent becoming infected

Note the use of "some" and "may".

Another:

This study is the first RCT of cloth masks, and the results caution against the use of cloth masks. This is an important finding to inform occupational health and safety. Moisture retention, reuse of cloth masks and poor filtration may result in increased risk of infection. Further research is needed to inform the widespread use of cloth masks globally. However, as a precautionary measure, cloth masks should not be recommended for HCWs, particularly in high-risk situations, and guidelines need to be updated.
    >
    Again, the infectious viral partices do not exist alone in air. They are always in tiny moisture droplets, many of which will be stopped by ANY mask.

None is perfect, and some are much better than others. I don’t know how U T Med arrived at their ‘’70%’’ estimate, but it ‘’sounds’’ reasonable to this od Doc.

If the viruses did exist alone in atmosphere, some of them would still be caught by cloth, but I have no idea the percent effectiveness.

I spent some 55 years in American Medicine including LSU Med, UT HSC, UTMB, Baylor Med, etc. and assure that our Medical Literature is filled with absolute nonsense.

Also, when considering infectious diseases, nothing is abolute.

leVieux

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    >
    Again, the infectious viral partices do not exist alone in air. They are always in tiny moisture droplets, many of which will be stopped by ANY mask.

None is perfect, and some are much better than others. I don’t know how U T Med arrived at their ‘’70%’’ estimate, but it ‘’sounds’’ reasonable to this od Doc.

If the viruses did exist alone in atmosphere, some of them would still be caught by cloth, but I have no idea the percent effectiveness.

I spent some 55 years in American Medicine including LSU Med, UT HSC, UTMB, Baylor Med, etc. and assure that our Medical Literature is filled with absolute nonsense.

Also, when considering infectious diseases, nothing is abolute.

leVieux
    No. Moisture droplets will not be stopped by any mask. The fine aerosol of human breath can pass right through a mask. Any of the droplets initially caught by the mask will be forced out of the mask in a fine aerosol with subsequent exhaling. This is basic engineering, it does not require a knowledge of epidemiology.

Go back and read any number of sources and studies from 2019 and before. What I have said will be confirmed. I did a good deal of research on this in 2020. You are a smart person, educate yourself rather than swallowing the government narrative.

Cato Institute:
    Among the hallmark memes of the COVID-19 pandemic have been videos using special lighting and high‐speed photography to visualize the dramatic differences in droplets emitted when a person sneezes with and without a mask. As if subtitling the visuals, an article in the New York Times explained that mask fibers “create a haphazard obstacle course through which air — and any infectious cargo — must navigate.”

Such vivid imagery promotes a misconception that the emission of infectious particles primarily occurs during forceful expiration such as sneezing. In fact, respiratory particles are emitted even when breathing. Little evidence suggests that frequent public sneezing during the pandemic has been a key driver of the virus’s spread.

It is debated whether larger “droplets” (greater than about 10 micrometers) or smaller “aerosols” containing the virus are more infectious. But aerosol transmission has been demonstrated or is considered likely for other respiratory infections such as H1N1 influenza, Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS), respiratory syncytial virus (a common virus among infants), and the 2003 SARS virus. When smaller particles evaporate, they can stay suspended in the air for long periods of time and be inhaled, potentially causing infection deeper in the respiratory tract and at lower concentrations. SARS‐CoV‑2 viral particles have been detected in low‐touch areas such as under beds and in air samples taken from hallways outside patient rooms, consistent with sustained aerosol distribution.

The greater the role of aerosols in spreading SARS‐CoV‑2, the less important is the filtering capability of masks, because exhaled air easily flows around a mask’s edges. The extent to which droplets penetrate a mask has not been established as a reliable surrogate for the prevention of disease transmission.

The best evidence to establish the effectiveness of cloth face masks would be from cluster‐randomized controlled trials (RCTs) showing that communities tasked with wearing cloth masks have lower viral spread than those assigned to not wear cloth masks, with high participation and protocol adherence. The endpoint of such studies should be laboratory‐confirmed SARS‐CoV‑2 infection and not just symptoms of illness, because mask wearing could affect a user’s perception of symptoms, creating bias.

The only two sizeable studies evaluating masks in the context of COVID-19 failed to demonstrate statistically significant reductions in confirmed viral transmission either for surgical masks (one study) or for cloth masks (the other).

From a CDC study, real world results:

During March 1–December 31, 2020, state-issued mask mandates applied in 2,313 (73.6%) of the 3,142 U.S. counties. Mask
    mandates were associated with a 0.5 percentage point decrease (p = 0.02) in daily COVID-19 case growth rates 1–20 days
    after implementation and decreases of 1.1, 1.5, 1.7, and 1.8 percentage points 21–40, 41–60, 61–80, and 81–100 days,
    respectively, after implementation (p<0.01 for all) (Table 1) (Figure). Mask mandates were associated with a 0.7 percentage
    point decrease (p = 0.03) in daily COVID-19 death growth rates 1–20 days after implementation and decreases of 1.0, 1.4,
    1.6, and 1.9 percentage points 21–40, 41–60, 61–80, and 81–100 days, respectively, after implementation (p<0.01 for all).
    Daily case and death growth rates before implementation of mask mandates were not statistically different from the
    reference period.

The tiny decreases above are nothing. Given the challenge in obtaining accurate data, they are meaningless. If you were correct about masks, the decreases would be 50% or more.

Why am I arguing this point? Because I do not want vulnerable people to have a false sense of security and think some cheap mask is going protect them. Anyone who is vulnerable should isolate themselves as much as possible and should wear an N95 mask when around others. And even an N95 mask is not 100% effective.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    You are quoting the ‘’CDC’’ ?

Seriously ?

Of course, better equipment should give better results; and, nothing is perfect.

I quit, you obviously are a ‘’believer’’ and I can’t counter obstinance with reason.

Adios !

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm

Seriously ?

Of course, better equipment should give better results; and, nothing is perfect.

I quit, you obviously are a ‘’believer’’ and I can’t counter obstinance with reason.

Adios !
    Arkadygamblerloobilly is that you?

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015

Seriously ?

Adios !
    If you are correct and all masks are effective, then you are in agreement with the CDC. Yet a study published on the CDC's own website (quoted in my post) proves that masks do not work.

You cannot counter applied science, that is the issue. You offer no valid rebuttal.

Such a shame to see intelligent people swallow the government narrative.

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    There's a bit of a problem in the medical industry where we expect the medical professionals to be definitive in their diagnoses. Which the doctors happily accommodate because doctors love being heroes, and love being right. Since they are obviously going to be right, and unless you're validating and repeating what they say, you're not. How dare you mere peasant question my $250,000 education and years of experience, it's just not even a possibility for you to know anything.

So, even if a medical professional doesn't know something, they'll go as far as to convince themselves they do because what their peer said sounded good. They'll go forward with it, and continue to discount and refute anything a plebeian commoner may present. The whole COVID debacle really put a spotlight on that. Many doctors hate it when a patient doesn't ask questions about their care and "messes it up" or doesn't give them the information they need to give the proper diagnosis. But, those same doctors hate it when patients ask questions about their care, especially if it was researched on the Internet before coming in.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    There's a bit of a problem in the medical industry where we expect the medical professionals to be definitive in their diagnoses. Which the doctors happily accommodate because doctors love being heroes, and love being right. Since they are obviously going to be right, and unless you're validating and repeating what they say, you're not. How dare you mere peasant question my $250,000 education and years of experience, it's just not even a possibility for you to know anything.

So, even if a medical professional doesn't know something, they'll go as far as to convince themselves they do because what their peer said sounded good. They'll go forward with it, and continue to discount and refute anything a plebeian commoner may present. The whole COVID debacle really put a spotlight on that. Many doctors hate it when a patient doesn't ask questions about their care and "messes it up" or doesn't give them the information they need to give the proper diagnosis. But, those same doctors hate it when patients ask questions about their care, especially if it was researched on the Internet before coming in.
    >
    Really sounds that you got some insecure Docs. But, I can recall way back when I was a Family Physician, lots of folks really didn’t like to hear that we didn’t actually know, or that a prior dx was wrong. For example, very, very few patients who claimed to have the “flu” actually had the “flu”; but they would get upset when told that by an MD. Also some ethnicities demand antibiotic shots, no matter the condition. Trying to establish rapport can be frustrating, to both parties. But, if any Doc senses patient frustration, they should take time for a “talk”; either then or soon, “ASAP”, later.

Johnny Diamond

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2022
    US
    "But, if any Doc senses patient frustration, they should take time for a “talk”; either then or soon, “ASAP”, later."

Why does that statement sound...ominous?
    Probably wasn't meant that way.... however in today's present state of affairs umyeah!

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

SA_Steve

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 1, 2014
    San Antonio, Texas USA
    I thought the secret sauce in the n95's is their plastic coated fibers which generate a static charge when air if forced by them. And that introduces another big factor: humidity. I expect exhaling has a much higher humidity content which should foul this feature pretty quickly.

Top Bottom