• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • texasnurse

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2016
    Carry one in the chamber? And how do you do it safely?

This is not a "round in the chamber carry re-hash" This is about 1911s with the hammer cocked with a round in the chamber.

I'm very familiar with all the safety and operating aspects of the Govt model model 1911. I carried one in Viet Nam. I own an M1911A1.

Even considering the grip and thumb safety, I am very concerned about carrying mine loaded, round in the chamber, hammer cocked. It seems the thumb safety could be easily bumped off (since it clicks down), and my trigger is very sensitive even tho covered in my pancake holster. And of course, trying to half-cock or let down the hammer is an ND waiting to happen. Needless to say, I currently choose not to carry it in this condition.

So, I'm curious, if you do carry your 1911 for self-defense, how do you do it, and how have you overcome these concerns?

If you are nervous about Cocked and locked carry, carry without a round in the chamber and see if hammer falls, under Cocked and locked conditions

Sent with my IPhone with electronics and fuzzy logic...

kyletxria1911a1

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    kyletx
    If you are nervous about Cocked and locked carry, carry without a round in the chamber and see if hammer falls, under Cocked and locked conditions

The black guy said that. ..
    When I first started to carry i carried like that for a month.
    Nada .. now that being said i by habit now always just check my thumb safety if it's down reset it not hard.
    It won't fall unless the bang switch is pulled.
    And if it does it needs to be returned to the manufacturer. Of a competent gunsmith for a rebuild

fishingsetx

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 15, 2015
    1911s are inherently unsafe.

ETA: that's why I carry a Glock.
    Nah, glocks are junk.

If it isnt a wheel gun in 357 mag or larger, you might as well carry a weak undersized 9mm. And the only safe wheel guns are single action!

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "Holy shoot....what a ride!"

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    I've been told that shooting a Glock gives one warm fuzzy feeling that all is right in the world........that Glock polymer exudes inner peace and tranquility......

"F" that.........

kyletxria1911a1

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    kyletx
    I've been told that shooting a Glock gives one warm fuzzy feeling that all is right in the world........that Glock polymer exudes inner peace and tranquility......

"F" that.........

1911s when shot make the sound mercia dammit.
    Glocks zieg hiel .. with a lisp.. sooo merica dammit. .

Mikewood

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Houston
    I carry one in the chamber cocked and locked as they say. It's safe to do so.

I'm very familiar with all the safety and operating aspects of the Govt model model 1911. (Sorry but your not). I carried one in Viet Nam. (Consider taking a class from a 1911 instructor. Your 50 year old army training is woefully out of date).

I own an M1911A1. Then yes u know it's safe to carry clocked and locked. Or maybe you don't.

Even considering the grip and thumb safety, I am very concerned about carrying mine loaded, round in the chamber, hammer cocked. Yea, well don't be. Grip, thumb, firing power pin and trigger are backups. not putting your finger on the trigger until your sights are on target is your primary safety.

It seems the thumb safety could be easily bumped off (since it clicks down), and my trigger is very sensitive even tho covered in my pancake holster. It doesn't matter. You can safely carry a 1911 cocked and unlocked and it won't fire at all even if the hammer falls. It doesn't matter how sensitive the trigger is. The problem is a crummy leather pancake holster can press the trigger. Replace it with a kydex holster that won't press on the trigger.

And of course, trying to half-cock or let down the hammer is an ND waiting to happen. You should really work on your gun handling skills. There is never a reason to carry in condition two. Always carry cocked and locked.

Needless to say, I currently choose not to carry it in this condition. That's your choice.

So, I'm curious, if you do carry your 1911 for self-defense, how do you do it, and how have you overcome these concerns?

They are not concerns once you really learn your gun, it's safety's and how not to shoot yourself. Honesty the only way to shoot yourself is to pull the trigger. Try not to do that.

cwo4uscgret

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 8, 2017
    near the Alamo
    Walk around with it empty in the holster see if it goes off.
    My trigger is less than 2.5lbs still no known problems

My humble opinion says that a 2-1/2# trigger on a carry gun is way to light for carry. It's an accident about to happen. My Colt Combat Commander that I had set up for carry has a 4-1/2# trigger - about as light as I feel it should be for a carry gun. Two and a half pounds is ok for target shooting; just my opinion"

To the OP - I used to carry with a round in the chamber and hammer down - and woke up to the revelation that Condition One is safe. Assuming that your gun is mechanically correct i.e. Safeties work as they are supposed to; it's quite safe to carry with one in the chamber with the hammer cocked and safety is on. Thousands of 1911s are carried this way everyday!

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2017
    DFW Area
    It does not matter if it is a Glock, 1911, or a what; just be sure the gun is functioning properly. You have a gun that does what it is supposed to do, you should be fine. Not counting Murphy's Law.

texasnurse

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2016
    It does not matter if it is a Glock, 1911, or a what; just be sure the gun is functioning properly. You have a gun that does what it is supposed to do, you should be fine. Not counting Murphy's Law.

Always twirl your gun twice before putting it into the hidden holster in your leg?

kyletxria1911a1

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    kyletx
    Yep and since then guess what nary a discharge after that and the trigger is still th3 same..
    So sherlock was it the trigger or my stupidity. .
    So if you want a 2ton pull so much for you. I'm not changing a thing. .
    Except keep my fockin finger off the bang till i want to shoot something.

Sigh

Last edited:

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    Yes and just how did that happen sherlock??? Well it didn't go off by itself. My finger was on the trigger. Or do you remember that part. While you are trying to shame someone.
    Oh ps..
    Since then guess what nary a discharge since then!!!!

Things that make you go hmmmmmmm

Lighten up, Nancy....I guess you never saw my post where I killed an ice bucket and coffee pot with one errant shot in a hotel room.

ETA: Shame on you, shame on me...we are in the same Club of Shame. :D

Last edited:

45tex

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    Did have a coworker that jumped in a Ball Pit with his kid and shot himself in the ass and leg. He carried condition 1 on and off duty. Not normally an unresponsible type. I think he became complacent. That option is not available when carrying.
    I started with revolvers and moved to a .45 with a hammer block that allows safe carry hammer down over a round safely off. First shot double action. Like the cocked and locked guys, its what I knew so well and stuck with till the world turned plastic. But still have the first gun.
    I'm not complaining about plastic. I love today's light,and safer guns. I have a 1911, I just don't carry it.

Top Bottom