Guns International

IF the current bill becomes law, how will it change what you are doing now?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JohnnyLoco

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2009
    Texas
    OC is not PC to see the license in GA, but it took several court cases to get there.

I have neither the time or the patience to be the test subject on that one.

Texas is a great state, but it simply sucks in regards to carrying firearms/weapons rights and hunting.

To everyone who are pleased that they will not have to worry about printing or accidently showing their handgun, didn't the law already change which made accidental exposure legal?

Also, can any cop arrest an open carrier under this new law because they have simply made the judgment that the person was carrying in a "threatening manner"? It is my understanding that cops can already do that with rifles and it is a frequent loophole or gray area that they can employ.

I support it, but I don't want the hassle. I can conceal a full-sized gun with the right shirt, so not a big problem for me.
    Venture Surplus ad

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    99% of the time passage of this bill will not change my carry mode. I support OC on the grounds that its a right. On occasion I might chose an OWB holster (road trips and such) for comfort. Also won't be too worried about getting a cover garment on and buttoned up when running to mail box or trash or answering the door. Aside from that I'll still go with ole faithful AIWB for EDC.

I will however stay way from establishments that post signs be that 3006 or 3007. They obviously don't want me in their business and as such they obviously don't need the income.

Is not all of this stuff a non-issue now anyway?

Of course I am presuming you are performing all of these acts on your own property....

Mike_from_Texas

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    North Texas
    I don't like the idea of advertising, no reason to be the first target from a bad guy. I do like the idea of not getting nailed for an accidental peek, or needed adjustment in public.

^^^ Pretty much where I am at also.

There will be some that push the limits......

imho...

'zactly right. I hate schlepping up hills with a gun digging for gold. I'd much rather have that thang outside than in when doing things that require a range of movement.
    Other than that I'd be just as happy not to worry about inadvertent showing getting me in potential hot water. These Austin cops are problematic in my experience when it comes to firearms - thanks to Ass-evedo.

I have my CHL and will still carry concealed. Carrying a 1911 in a shoulder holster has always been a special interest so I may try that.

The best thing about this law is not needing to be concerned about accidental peeks at the hardware. That will be a major plus!

C'mon guys. Know the law. Accidental exposure of your concealed handgun is not and never has been illegal.

Doesn't mean you might not scare the sheep and get a little hassles but not illegal.

fishingsetx

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 15, 2015
    To everyone who are pleased that they will not have to worry about printing or accidently showing their handgun, didn't the law already change which made accidental exposure legal?

Accidental printing and/or exposure is legal. That being said, if what you are wearing causes the gun to print continuously, I can see where the current law could be a problem.

If I wear an OWB holster and my work shirt untucked, mine will print but very faintly and only when I turn or reach in certain ways and you would have to be really looking hard to notice it. By the current law, I would be perfectly legal. In a T-shirt or a thin polo, it would be noticeable to even a casual observer and I don't feel comfortable with it under the current law so I have to go IWB 90% of the time. For me, IWB is no where near as comfortable as OWB. With the proposed open carry law, I would go OWB all the time. That's one of the main reasons I'm looking forward to it passing! The other is the fact that it is a big victory for gun rights!

We'll never be able to change the minds of the die hard anti gun folks, but if this passes and the ones on the fence see that people aren't going to be running around having duels at high noon in the middle of the street, they may be swayed towards the gun rights side of the debate.

I have neither the time or the patience to be the test subject on that one.

Texas is a great state, but it simply sucks in regards to carrying firearms/weapons rights and hunting.

Also, can any cop arrest an open carrier under this new law because they have simply made the judgment that the person was carrying in a "threatening manner"? It is my understanding that cops can already do that with rifles and it is a frequent loophole or gray area that they can employ.

I support it, but I don't want the hassle. I can conceal a full-sized gun with the right shirt, so not a big problem for me.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I wish someone would explain how it wouldn't be...

Carrying a firearm openly would still be a crime. The defense against being charged with a crime is that you have a CHL. How is the officer supposed to know, without asking you for it? Are you supposed to tape it to your forehead? (Although, that's not really all that far-fetched; when Chief Acevedo was testifying against the bill, he did say that CHL'ers should absolutely have to wear something to identify themselves as such).

So the way I see it, if an officer sees someone openly carrying, he can either a) stop them and ask to see their license, or b) ignore it, with the understanding that he may be letting a lawbreaker go. Wouldn't the officer be duty-bound to stop and investigate the situation?

By that logic, driving is illegal so the act of driving a car is enough for police to stop and check your license.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I think there is something about providing ID when involved in a licensed activity. Can't recall the details of it, and don't recall if participating in a licensed activity = PC (or whatever is required).

Maybe TXI will pop in and make a bunch of people mad.

TAZ

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2008
    Round Rock
    Is not all of this stuff a non-issue now anyway?

Of course I am presuming you are performing all of these acts on your own property....

While technically on my property, my mailbox is along the street and in plain view of all. So running to the mailbox requires me to be outside. So I cover up to be sure I don't cause any stares or issues. Same for opening the door. People can see in. It's not that I wouldn't still cover up 99% of the time as I think being the grey man has more benefits than not; just that these were situation where I'd be more lax knowing that there is no grey area anymore.

C'mon guys. Know the law. Accidental exposure of your concealed handgun is not and never has been illegal.

Doesn't mean you might not scare the sheep and get a little hassles but not illegal.

I'm not worried about my knowledge of the law, but rather the other guys. I know that accidental exposure of my gun isn't a crime. Does the cop know that? Does he have the same definition of accidental as I do??

I'm more concerned with other people's knowledge and interpretation. This law eliminates the subjectivity to a larger degree than the previous one.

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    Guess I need to go order my vest before the rush starts.........................

17994d1399995301-10-round-clip-capacity-max-boondock_1.jpg

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    While technically on my property, my mailbox is along the street and in plain view of all. So running to the mailbox requires me to be outside. So I cover up to be sure I don't cause any stares or issues. Same for opening the door. People can see in. It's not that I wouldn't still cover up 99% of the time as I think being the grey man has more benefits than not; just that these were situation where I'd be more lax knowing that there is no grey area anymore.

I'm not worried about my knowledge of the law, but rather the other guys. I know that accidental exposure of my gun isn't a crime. Does the cop know that? Does he have the same definition of accidental as I do??

I'm more concerned with other people's knowledge and interpretation. This law eliminates the subjectivity to a larger degree than the previous one.

But, of course you know on your own property, OC is perfectly fine, but I understand the stares.
    but you did mention if OC passed you would not need to CC to the mailbox.

I don't walk around my yard OCing either, lol.....

Green Eye Tactical

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 11, 2013
    Dallas, Tx
    I'm looking forward to going back to relaxed carry for summer. I spent most of my life stationed in NC, where open carry wasn't a big deal. Most dudes wore a belt holster and let the t-shirt hang over it. No biggie, no sirens, flashing lights or 911 calls. I forgot how much IWB sucked in the summer until I moved here a few years ago.

Top Bottom