• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    Sage, I bought that gun new and didn't have it very long before the problem showed up. It didn't happen every time the safety was clicked off, so it wasn't that apparent at first.

AusTex, the second time I had a problem, I was sitting on a stump and clicked the safety off to unload the gun so I could cross a road to get to the other side of the property. (One bad thing about the 700 design is that you have to click off the safety in order to open the bolt.) The gun was on my knee, on it's side, and nothing was touching the trigger. It fired into a small tree about 2 feet away from the end of the barrel. Needless to say, I was pretty stunned.

If nothing else, it serves as a reminder to treat every firearm with respect and always assume it's loaded.

If there's another point to my story, it's that there can be defects that cause problems that are not necessarily design problems that apply to all the guns of that model.
    Lynx Defense

AusTex

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    Austin, Texas
    If there's another point to my story, it's that there can be defects that cause problems that are not necessarily design problems that apply to all the guns of that model.

I agree with that but if the trigger had the fail safe lock design that mike walker drew up and told Remington to install(at a staggering 5 cents per gun) there would be absolutely no way for that firing pin to drop without the trigger being pulled. This again is where my problem comes in with the design and the fact Remington continues to sell it.

GJW1911

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2010
    Central Texas
    If their product was truly unsafe, and a danger to the public. A severe negative stereotype would be applied to their product, long before now.

Why is it now this is just coming up?
    Maybe the "journalists" just need something to get peoples panties in a bunch? Or, maybe the government is looking for a way to get their foot in, to more strictly (regulate) control the gun manufacturing industry.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    I agree with that but if the trigger had the fail safe lock design that mike walker drew up and told Remington to install(at a staggering 5 cents per gun) there would be absolutely no way for that firing pin to drop without the trigger being pulled. This again is where my problem comes in with the design and the fact Remington continues to sell it.

How many bolt action rifles lack a firing pin safety?

Pretty much all of them that I can think of. Certainly every one that I've owned. None of my autoloaders has had one installed, either. Only my handguns...

Just because it isn't "more safe" doesn't mean that it's unsafe.

Top Bottom