Target Sports

If You Recognize What's In These Pics, You're Old!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    dimmer switch
    Side note: If you had a mid-1960s Continental then it could also be the seek button for the radio. With the right options, you could get two of those buttons on the floor. Until I got the hang of using them, I repeatedly flashed the lights when I was trying to change the radio station. :)

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    I never saw either of my grandfathers shave. I never saw either of them not fully dressed and "presentable". Same goes for my grandmothers. Back then I was "seen and not heard".

Yep. There was no complaining about it either.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    At one time, my father had a Chrysler Imperial (big as a damn tank!) that had a radio station selector button on the floor. If you pushed it, it would take off and stop at the next strongest radio station! I'd take my friends out for rides and tell them all they had to do to change the station was to point at the radio (and I'd hit the button on the floor)! I'm sure some of them still think they had seen a radio that changed stations when you pointed at it.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    Family had a "gigantic" 1958 Mercury that had that set-up!
    Looked like this one but ours was white.
    1617298371308.png

Last edited:

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    My mother's uncle had an old Ford pickup ('49?) that we drove on his farm. The battery was dead once and his nephew and I went to jump it. Couldn't find the battery to save our lives. Uncle came out and showed us it was under the floorboards. Eventually the engine seized up and he was forced to buy a used Chevy truck. I don't know why, but for some reason he removed the air cleaner. We were out in a field one day and when he started the truck, it backfired and the carburetor was on fire. He put it out by throwing dirt on it. I didn't know jack about carburetors, but I got a rebuild kit and took that thing apart and got it working again. I must have been 16 at the time. I drove a '63 Buick Skylark with a 215 cu. in. V8 aluminum block engine, with the weird Power-Glide transmission where the reverse was all the way to the right on the shifter. Had to rev it up a couple of times to get reverse to kick in. Had a 4-barrel Quadrajet (aka Quadrajunk) carb. Front wheel fell off twice while I was driving it. That was a thrill. Starter motor burned itself out in the driveway of girl I was picking up for a date. But I got a job in a gas station because when the owner asked if I had any experience working on cars I pointed to the Skylark and told him that was the only way I could keep it on the road.

BRD@66

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2014
    Liberty Hill
    My mother's uncle had an old Ford pickup ('49?) that we drove on his farm. The battery was dead once and his nephew and I went to jump it. Couldn't find the battery to save our lives. Uncle came out and showed us it was under the floorboards. Eventually the engine seized up and he was forced to buy a used Chevy truck. I don't know why, but for some reason he removed the air cleaner. We were out in a field one day and when he started the truck, it backfired and the carburetor was on fire. He put it out by throwing dirt on it. I didn't know jack about carburetors, but I got a rebuild kit and took that thing apart and got it working again. I must have been 16 at the time. I drove a '63 Buick Skylark with a 215 cu. in. V8 aluminum block engine, with the weird Power-Glide transmission where the reverse was all the way to the right on the shifter. Had to rev it up a couple of times to get reverse to kick in. Had a 4-barrel Quadrajet (aka Quadrajunk) carb. Front wheel fell off twice while I was driving it. That was a thrill. Starter motor burned itself out in the driveway of girl I was picking up for a date. But I got a job in a gas station because when the owner asked if I had any experience working on cars I pointed to the Skylark and told him that was the only way I could keep it on the road.
    Mechanics are made, not born.

Top Bottom