Gun Zone Deals

If You Recognize What's In These Pics, You're Old!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    In the mid to late 60s, I lived in San Angelo where gas was mid-teens per gallon. I went to the oil patch in Ft. Stockton & could not believe that those poor folks had to pay $0.269/ gallon.

I can remember back in the early 1970's, my grandfather complaining about gas being .26 cents a gallon on his side of town, and would drive across town to pay .24 cents a gallon!

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    A little dab will do you....

You could go out in a Force 5 Hurricane and your Hair would not be messed up and it would turn water....
    jgUhPi6l.png

My dad, my brother and I all wore "flattops" back in the 1960's and 1970's, and we all used Brylcreem! It would make a flattop stand up for sure!

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    Brylcreem? No, we used Butch Wax. And with your hair cut military short, you could get a sunburn on your head so that when you laid down, your stubby hair would hurt like needles in your scalp.

Oh how I hated Butch Wax.
    Dad made us put that messy crap on our hair.
    It seemed silly to have that crud on our hair when we had buzz cuts.
    It got all over everything. Made dirt and dust stick to you like abrasive glue.
    I loathed the stuff.
    When Mother finally relented and let us go without it there was much rejoicing.

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    I can remember back in the early 1970's, my grandfather complaining about gas being .26 cents a gallon on his side of town, and would drive across town to pay .24 cents a gallon!
    According to the CPI inflation calculator, 27¢ in 1964 is equivalent to $2.30 today. So, not really a lot of difference in gas prices. Honestly tho, I'm not even sure what gas costs today. Haven't bought any since Feb 22nd.

SURVIVOR619

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 31, 2017
    US
    Curtis Mathis made some really good products years ago. They had a manufacturing plant over in Athens Texas for many years. It closed down long ago though. Palestine had a CM dealer right on Crockett Road for many years too.
    My family definitely moved up a class once we got our first curtis mathis tv!!

ETA: spelling

mroper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Katy, TX
    My mom bought some stuff from Avon that would make my hair so stiff it felt like I had a helmet on I hated it . It came in a red squeeze bottle.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Off Topic Warning -

Hair products for short hair and remembering things that could only have happened many decades ago? Hmmm. It seems like there should be a story there...

About 1970 or so, no boys wore their hair short. None. It was completely out of fashion. Of course, being from small-town Texas, there were always a couple in our town.

It was the custom of the senior club in my town's high school to leave directly from graduation on a bus for New Orleans to partake in a week of unlimited booze and sex. This was a well-entrenched tradition.

When the class of ~1970 hit the Crescent City, everything went as debauched usual until Mr. Buzzcut went to a particular bar that was off-limits for military personnel. The bartender saw a guy with a buzz cut and called some sort of military police who came immediately and picked the guy up. They absolutely refused to listen to his protestations that he was a graduating senior from a little town in Texas. They knew he was lying because no kids in those days had that haircut. He had to be military. And since he refused to identify what part of the military he was with, they went extra-hard on him, locking him up in a holding cell for a couple of days until he decided to come around and tell them the truth.

While all this was happening, the rest of the club realized they had lost a member, looked for him, and couldn't find him. NOPD was no help. The thought that he was being held by the military didn't occur to anyone. They called back home and his father headed to New Orleans. By the time the dad got there, somehow the group had managed to backtrack the bars the boy had hit and figured out that maybe the military had pinched him. The father finally tracked him down and secured his freedom by going, in person, to the facility and talking his way up the chain. His son had spent, iirc, 3 nights in a holding cell.

Except for the guys who got someone pregnant (always one, it seems), I think that guy had the worst senior club trip in the history of our town.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom