APOD Firearms

If You Recognize What's In These Pics, You're Old!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Curtis Mathis made some really good products years ago. They had a manufacturing plant over in Athens Texas for many years.
    Their connection to Texas is strong. Their current HQ is in Frisco, per Wikipedia.

Also, IIRC the founder, George Curtis Mathes, was a Revenue Agent for the IRS in Houston before he founded the company.

Geezer

Mostly Peaceful
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 23, 2019
    Silsbee, Texas
    1617108431495.png

1617108460938.png

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Cool appliances that are bombproof. Appliance companies nowadays will not build machines like this anymore, planned obsolescence now an industry manufacturing strategy, especially with washers and dryers.
    Planned obsolescence is more widespread and goes back a lot further than most people realize. Heck, there have been proposals to make it legally required.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    To All,

You are OLD, OLD & likely a NATIVE-BORN TEXICAN if you remember THE LIGHTCRUST DOUGHBOYS being ON your AM radio every SAT afternoon
    and/or
    THE LOUISIANA HAYRIDE being on KSLA tv & radio every SAT night.
    (ELVIS & lots of other singing stars got their start on that TV/radio show).

yours, satx

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Groucho Marks, Ozzie and Harriet, Our Miss Brooks, many more.
    I had a friend that got me tickets to be in the audience. Phil Silvers, Jackie Gleason (The Honeymooners), etc. All done with one take and fun to watch. Makes me old.

rotor,

ONE of my boyhood's favorite memories was sitting with my grandfather & listening to ONE MAN'S FAMILY on the radio
    AND
    My aunt, GLADYS HELEN, cooking & feeding the 2 of us FRIED CHEESE with CRACKERS.

yours, satx

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    To All,

Anyone besides me who used to listen to XEG & XERL on the radio late at night??

yours, satx

DubiousDan

Trump 2024
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    San Antonio
    Somewhere around here I have a set of partitioned party plates with built-in ashtrays. :)
    My grandmother had a couple of ashtrays that had a pedestal with a heavy base and were about the height for the arm of an armchair. It was very ornate and I think the actual ashtray was made of onyx. It was illuminated and had a built in cigarette lighter.

cvgunman

Not a Leftist douchebag!
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Oct 9, 2017
    Mckinney TX
    Planned obsolescence is more widespread and goes back a lot further than most people realize. Heck, there have been proposals to make it legally required.

Fascinating! I was reading up on it and found that the second oldest on record is the Palace Bulb, located in The Stockyard, Ft. Wort TX.

45tex

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    We did not get Color TV until 1971. So I enjoyed Star Trek in B&W. Did not own any TV until 1966. We were AF stationed in France till 1962. We had a floor standing short wave radio, that I still own.
    Never missed what we did not have or even know much about.
    Saw Bonanza in color in 1964. Thought it was one of the most amazing sights ever. Watched the Moon landing in B&W it was the first time I ever wished we had a color set. Did not know for years that most of the coverage was not in color anyway.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    My grandmother had a couple of ashtrays that had a pedestal with a heavy base and were about the height for the arm of an armchair. It was very ornate and I think the actual ashtray was made of onyx. It was illuminated and had a built in cigarette lighter.

My grandparents had a couple of ashtrays very similar to that in the den of their last house. The bases and pedestals were made out of cast iron or some sort of heavy metal, and the ashtray itself was made from granite, or marble, or maybe onyx, or some type of carved and polished stone. Neither of my grandparents smoked, but they still had ashtrays in all the common rooms of their house.
    We did not get Color TV until 1971. So I enjoyed Star Trek in B&W. Did not own any TV until 1966. We were AF stationed in France till 1962. We had a floor standing short wave radio, that I still own.
    Never missed what we did not have or even know much about.
    Saw Bonanza in color in 1964. Thought it was one of the most amazing sights ever. Watched the Moon landing in B&W it was the first time I ever wished we had a color set. Did not know for years that most of the coverage was not in color anyway.

My grandfather was a bit of tightwad! He wouldn't spend the extra money to buy a color TV. When he died in 1974, my grandparents still had one TV in the den of their house, and it was a B&W. When we moved to the farm in 1975, Granny had the older little house we were living in remodeled so she could sell the larger house since it was just her. 1976, my Granny bought her first color TV, her first window A/C and in 1977, bought the very first car, an 1978 Ford Fairmont with an automatic transmission!

Anyone else remember when houses had a den and a living room?

BRD@66

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2014
    Liberty Hill
    Can't find a picture of it but the cheapest gas I can remember purchasing was sixteen cents a gallon in Denton, Texas back in about 1968 or 1969.
    In the mid to late 60s, I lived in San Angelo where gas was mid-teens per gallon. I went to the oil patch in Ft. Stockton & could not believe that those poor folks had to pay $0.269/ gallon.

Top Bottom