DK Firearms

If You Recognize What's In These Pics, You're Old!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    bottle stove.jpg

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    I'm old but not that old.
    What is this?

It is a kerosene cooking stove fuel bottle.
    57939_opt.jpg

My grandmother kept one of them on her back patio for decades. She would use it a couple of times a year.
    She never did trust 'lectricity.
    In reality my Grandfather had kept it out at his fishing camp. After he passed the stove got moved to Grandmothers house. I believe she kept it around to remember him. She regularly told fond stories of her and his times out at the camp.
    When about 11yrs old I was fooling around with one of the bottles and managed to drop it on the concrete, causing it to shatter thus spilling kerosene all over the bloody place.
    Grandmother was not amused.
    This would of been about 1970 or so. Dad had a difficult time finding a replacement.
    After grandmother passed one of the cousins took the stove. I never did know what happened to it.

cygunner

Devil's Den - Gettysburg
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2021
    Cypress, TX
    The toys! I had a bazooka toy that would fire out a plastic ball at pretty good velocity. I had a lot of fun with it. I seem to remember that I lost all the plastic balls before the bazooka broke.

Cap guns - I must have gone through 50 of them over the years. The smell of the gunpowder from those caps is still a fond memory. Most of the cap guns were made out of the crappiest pot metal or cheap plastic. The springs were built to last no more than a week or two.
    One of my favorite toys as a little fellow was a little double barreled cork gun. After dinner (supper at our house) my father would sit down, light up a Lucky and read the paper. Invariably, as he had already been awake for 15 or 16 hours he would doze off. One night the ash on the Lucky got so long it kind of drooped down. I took dead aim with my cork gun and shot it off. He woke up "what the h**l, give me that". I never saw my little double barrel again. We burned coal for heat and I think he threw it in the stove. Last time I ever pointed anything at him. He's been gone 41 years but sometimes in my sleep I dream about our quail hunts or cattle feeding in the snow like they were yesterday.

Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    Yes and at the gas station we drilled a hole in the spot were you could put a paper clip and return the money.

Not the rotary kind, but I used to uhh know a guy who had some fun with those..

957 exchange and the last 4 digits of the pay phone would ring back. So you could hit those numbers and hang up twice quickly and the phone would ring until someone picked it up..

Seems like a dumb prank now but it was fun waiting for someone to answer it, to get only a dial tone.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    To All,

We had an ARKLA KEROSENE-fired refrigerator for a LONG, LONG time at our farm.
    (You couldn't beak those things, as they had NO moving parts.)

Fwiw, I wanted to keep it to go into the galley on my houseboat BUT my "oh so helpful" Mother had it hauled off while I was in South America.
    (When I asked her WHY, she said, "That thing as really old. You should ust buy a modern refrigerator.")

NOTE: What Mother didn't understand is that a houseboat is NOT a landside house & both electrical power (at a reasonable price) & FIRE is a HUGE problem out on the salt.
    (Kerosene refrigerators are SAFE & use little fuel each month.)

yours, satx

Last edited:

cygunner

Devil's Den - Gettysburg
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2021
    Cypress, TX
    To All,

We had an ARKLA KEROSENE-fired refrigerator for a LONG, LONG time at our farm.
    (You couldn't beak those things, as they had NO moving parts.)

Fwiw, I wanted to keep it to go into the galley on my houseboat BUT my "oh so helpful" Mother had it hauled off while I was in South America.
    (When I asked her WHY, she said, "That thing as really old. You should ust buy a modern refrigerator.")

NOTE: What Mother didn't understand is that a houseboat is NOT a landside house & both electrical power (at a reasonable price) & FIRE is a HUGE problem out on the salt.
    (Kerosene refrigerators are SAFE & use little fuel each month.)

yours, satx
    Think ours was a Servel or something like that and it ran on bottled gas.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    My Mom still had one of these although recently she went into a nursing home so it's gone now

striker55,

We had one until shortly after my housemate (ELLIE) passed away at Christmas 2017.
    (As I had numerous members of Ellie's circle of girlfriends in the house over the weeks after her passing, I think that someone liked it enough to take it home. = NOT the ONLY thing that "did a disappearing act".)

Ellie was well known among our friends as an ARTIST at making Chef's Salads that LOOKED like a photo out of a gourmet magazine.

yours, satx

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Think ours was a Servel or something like that and it ran on bottled gas.

cygunner,

YEP. ARKLA-SERVEL made BOTH kerosene & LPG fridges.

Neither box had any moving parts so they never wore out.
    (I suspect that is WHY that the company went TU. = After everyone who wanted one bought it, there wasn't much of a market for new ones or even for spare parts.)

yours, satx

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I suspect that is WHY that the company went TU. = After everyone who wanted one bought it, there wasn't much of a market for new ones or even for spare parts.
    That's why the Rolleiflex TLR cameras went out of production for so long. They were indestructible so the people who wanted one either already had one or could rely on the estate market to fulfill their needs.

Then, after decades off the market, they went back into production as luxury goods but that's another sad, infuriating story I won't get into here.

My point is, as long as this thread is talking about classic tech, what are some other examples of things that are no longer made because they just don't wear out? The Porsche prototype long-life car doesn't count because it never made it into production. :)

Top Bottom