If you were buying land in Texas...

DCortez

TGT Addict
Jan 28, 2009
Houston, Cy-Fair
Suppose you had $100,000 to spend on a slice of heaven (I don't, just saying ). Where in Texas would you buy? Would you want land to hunt, build a stocked pond, farm something (anything), raise a livestock, camp, urban retreat (to get away from it all without starting your car).

Would you buy something that took you all day to walk (West Texas) or something you could spit across (Houston).

I'm more of a state park person (can come and go without taking care of anything) but would like something on the Frio River for camping and canoeing.

SIG_Fiend

Administrator
TGT Supporter
Admin
Feb 21, 2008
Austin, TX
I wouldn't buy anything near Austin, San Antonio, DFW, Corpus or Houston as every smaller city near any of those major cities is basically turning into a suburb of the main city. I would want to buy out in the middle of nowhere, but it's getting tougher to figure out where exactly now. ;) I dunno, I would have to say somewhere more in the W / NW part of Texas, as I really can't say that I've seen near as much development up that direction in comparison to most other areas.

Renegade

SuperOwner
Mar 5, 2008
Texas
Been there, done that 15 years ago.

I bought within a reasonable commute of DFW as I still needed a good paying job, and could not maintain my lifestyle on income produced off of a $100,000 piece of land.

I can do all those things (hunt, stocked pond, farm land, raise a livestock, camp) and I live here 24x7 to boot. In fact, between this paragraph and the first one, I stepped outside to dump 2 mags from my M16 off my back porch.

robocop10mm

Jan 9, 2009
Round Rock
N/E Central Texas, Lee County north to Limestone County areas (Giddings north to Marlin). Close enough to civilization that you could go into town occasionally but far enough our to get a decent sized slice of heaven and avoid the big city hustle and bustle.

cuate

Well-Known
Jan 27, 2009
Comanche Co., Texas
I wouldn't buy anything near Austin, San Antonio, DFW, Corpus or Houston as every smaller city near any of those major cities is basically turning into a suburb of the main city. I would want to buy out in the middle of nowhere, but it's getting tougher to figure out where exactly now. ;) I dunno, I would have to say somewhere more in the W / NW part of Texas, as I really can't say that I've seen near as much development up that direction in comparison to most other areas.
We "got the hell out of Dodge" (actually Ft. Worth) in '84, to a gated thing at Granbury, TX....Problem was not bad outsider's crime coming in, it was some of the denizens living inside. Swapped that mess for a small farm in Comanche County where I can shoot in any direction but toward the highway and toward my neighbor's house nearby. Deer, hogs, doves,
here and only 20 miles to Lake Proctor to wet a hook. Rural folks make nice neighbors.....

ETex2

Feb 20, 2009
Rowlett
Here's some free advice from someone who has been a real estate appraiser for the last 26 years:

Buy land near Athens, TX. Most beautiful spot within 2 hours of Dallas.

BTW - I have 12.98 heavily wooded acres of land for sale, near Athens, TX.

Charley

Aug 7, 2008
San Antonio
Mine's in Real county, between Rocksprings and Mountain Home. Edwards Plateau is ruggedly pretty. Little over 41 acres.

Fisherman777

Well-Known
Jan 15, 2009
45R
Mine's in Real county, between Rocksprings and Mountain Home. Edwards Plateau is ruggedly pretty. Little over 41 acres.
I'd like to see that. Got any pics Charley?

Top Bottom