• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rushthezeppelin

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Cedar Park
    Well I'm sure if any of yall have paid attention to some of my posts on here I've had nothing but kuddos to blind zealotry over my use of Frog Lube. Now I'm going to have to pretty much eat my words and scrub every last bit of that minty stuff out of my guns. I guess it all started last winter when I had problems with my AR that ended up, after much trial and error, being tracked down to my gas key slowly coming lose. During this process though I found that FL was getting in my buffer tube and, when it was cold, gumming it up a bit. So I stopped using FL on my AR bolt and switched to M Pro 7. Well just today I pulled out my 10/22 at Red's while it was pretty cold to get it sighted in with a 333 pack of win super x HPs. Loaded up my 25rnd mag and loaded a round. Click, nothing. Took mag out and ejected the round, couldn't even find a primer indentation on it. Put mag back in and tried to load the next round and it had a FTF. Go through about 5 more FTFs and then decided to throw some M Pro 7 on the bolt. That fixed the FTFs but I was still getting stupidly light primer strikes. Took the action out of the stock and the trigger pack out and pushed the back of the firing pin on the bolt. It took a full 3 freaking seconds to come back to rest position it was so gummed up with cold FL. So now I'm going to have to get some degreaser and blow every last bit of FL out of my 10/22 action.

TLDR: If you live in the tropics Frog Lube is great stuff, but as soon as you hit a cold day that beeswax in it decides to act like, well beeswax. All fine and dandy once you get your weapon warmed up but if you can't get that first shot off your weapon ain't going to warm up. Kinda sucks too because I still like about everything else that Frog Lube does. It is really slick when warm and makes cleanup a snap but if you are ever going to go squirrel/bunny hunting on a cold day or something, you are going to be in for disappointment. I guess I'll also miss the minty fresh smell but hey, M Pro 7 smells vaguely of cinnamon so at least I still get some edible smell to my lube.
    Lynx Defense

rushthezeppelin

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Cedar Park
    Interesting.

Hadn't considered the areas FL might make its way in to.

Part of it was probably how long my 10/22 has been sitting without being fired (I think like 4 or 5 months if not more) and the fact that I had damn near soaked the action in it for a while. I'm sure though it did a wonderful job of protecting my bolt from rust considering it was going NOWHERE. Perhaps I will keep it around specifically for firearms storage and then promptly blast it off with some degreaser when I want to use said gun.

Last edited:

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    There's no way I would use that stuff for ANY weapon that is needed. A range toy maybe but not a carry piece or a good rifle.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    You generally don't want any sort of lube in your firing pin channel. Even non-waxy lubes will hold dirt and dust that will make your firing pin sticky.

rushthezeppelin

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Cedar Park
    You generally don't want any sort of lube in your firing pin channel. Even non-waxy lubes will hold dirt and dust that will make your firing pin sticky.

Probably good advice. If anything just use some graphite lube. Hard to keep it out of the firing pin channel though when you doused the entire bolt in frog lube :roflsmile:

FrEaK_aCcIdEnT

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 9, 2012
    Cibolo, TX
    I have used gun butter for more than 8 years. The old test they used was a puddle on a butterknife. Then it had some unknown powder dropped on top of it. Then the knife was turned over and the powder fell off of the knife and gunbutter lube but the lube stayed in place. Sold me.... it is Teflon based.

Not trying to sway anyone on their choice of lube. I know there are some pretty strong opinions on all sides. Lol

Blind Sniper

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2013
    Bay City, MI
    Question. Were you using the paste, the gel, or the liquid? I'm thinking of ordering a FL kit from Midway that has a little bit of all three, curious to know if the different types may behave differently in cold weather.

rushthezeppelin

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Cedar Park
    Liquid, the one you would expect this out of the least. Perhaps this goes back to the amount of time the firearm was stored. Perhaps some of the things that made it not as viscous evaporated out making it more like the paste.

IXLR8

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    I use FL a lot. When I apply it i leave just a fine film, which has never left me with unexpected results. You do have me curious though. It will be cold in the morning perhaps I will chill some test articles and see if I can reproduce your results.

Typically when I am finished there is not any clumps or slather left on any surface. I usually melt it off with the sun or a hairdryer, (my custom Hello Kitty tactical heat gun) Note: for Operators use only :)

rushthezeppelin

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Cedar Park
    I use FL a lot. When I apply it i leave just a fine film, which has never left me with unexpected results. You do have me curious though. It will be cold in the morning perhaps I will chill some test articles and see if I can reproduce your results.

Typically when I am finished there is not any clumps or slather left on any surface. I usually melt it off with the sun or a hairdryer, (my custom Hello Kitty tactical heat gun) Note: for Operators use only :)

With other stuff I had gotten into the habit of doing a fine film on the friction points of parts (even with the MPro) but with my 10/22 I had just slathered the SOB for some stupid reason.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    Mobile 1 works great

Mobil 1 not mobile.. is engine oil. It has emulsifiers, shear stabilizers, VI improvers, detergents, dispersants, defoaming agents and zinc.
    How does this benefit your firearm exactly? I've never understood why people want to put a lubricant designed for 220 deg F internal combustion engine into a firearm.
    Why not use a lubricant designed for a firearm?

IXLR8

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    I did have problems like you experienced using Italian gun oil, a miricle lubricant making the rounds last year. I used it on some slide grooves and it sufficiently gummed up my RIA .22TCM to make it fail to operate the slide freely causing a multitude of problems. I cannot attribute any failures to FL, or remoil, or even rem grease.

Mobil 1 used sparingly on high friction surfaces would probably be fine. But not excessive use especially in the fire control group.

I will say that FL is an excellent cleaning solvent, for removing the carbon and gunpowder residue from any surface.

Last edited:

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    Because they don't want to pay $9/oz for the latest snake oil when the stuff already in their garage is 99.3% as good and incredibly cheaper?

suit yourself, .. I;ve been in the lubricant business for 25 years and I use Mobil 1..in my truck engine and I use other lubes for my guns and it's not like you have to buy a can of lube for your gun every month... and REM oil is about $14 per 10 ounce can, that's less than $1.50/oz

Last edited:
    Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Coriolis308
    Top Bottom