• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    the one you got for Christmas the other day?
    huffy.jpg

:roflfunny:
    Nah, I like purple.
    Hurley's Gold

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    For years, I've been lubing my firearms with a good grade of light oil then blowing off the excess oil with an air hose. What remains, is perfect for lubrication of the firearm.

There are some exceptions like the M1 Garand and M1A rifles. In those rifles, oil is used for rust prevention and grease is used for lubrication. The GI containers of lube have pretty well dried up so I use Lithium based automotive grease (white or red color) for that purpose.

To reference the OP and the cold weather issue, in extremely cold environments, NO lubrication is used as it thickens up and causes malfunctions. They remove all traces of lube to prevent exactly the problem that you describe. In very cold temperatures, folks leave the guns outside as they condense moisture once brought inside the warm home/cabin.

Corrosive primers? Why do cold climates use corrosive primers in their ammo? It is reported that the corrosive primers are more reliable in extreme cold.

I'm a Yankee who fled the frozen North land, so cold weather survival was foremost in our thinking.

Flash

A.Texas.Yankee

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    NTX
    I think it's more user error than anything else in most cases. It's shocking when people ask for assistance at our range and the first thing I see is dripping lube or smoke pouring from the gun as excess lube is burned off. More is not better when it comes to lubrication. I've used numerous brands and they all have their "I'm better because..." pitch and rarely are they better or different. Frog Lube is amazing stuff for lubrication. Past that, nothing else good about it. The baking method is the proper way and metals do have a porous surface that absorb oils. If you use FL and see any residue remaining, you've used too much. With that being said, I don't use FL because I'm not taking the time to bake my gun when a rattle can of CLP or my blue bottle of Q10 does me just fine. If I were throwing thousands of rounds through the pipe before cleaning and in life or death situations daily, then I'd take the time, but until then, I just use whatever works! Here's what I look for :

Gun functions?
    Yes - move to next step
    No - get different shit

Abnormal wear?
    Yes - get different shit
    No - move to next step

Rust or other signs of element exposure?
    No - good stuff
    Yes - get different shit

Cost can be a factor, yes, but only of you can't afford a rattle can of CLP or something similar. Synthetic oil works, just messy.

FrEaK_aCcIdEnT

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 9, 2012
    Cibolo, TX
    The kind with PTFE (Teflon) comes in a rattle can. We go through cases of that stuff at work. Use it on everything from dock levellers to water fountains to scissor lifts. One of the guys started using it on his guns, then we all did.

Is this the stuff you speak of? I get it at Lowe's.

dup_06_mul_use_lub_11.jpg

Attachments

• dup_06_mul_use_lub_11.jpg
      dup_06_mul_use_lub_11.jpg
      7.2 KB · Views: 319
    Last edited:

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    When the 1911, Luger, P-38 and scores of other semi auto pistols were introduced, none of those wonder lubes existed! I'm not saying that newer lubricants aren't better but the guns weren't designed for them. Whenever I hear someone say that a gun can't function reliably without "X" brand lubricant....my reaction is always the same: "Buzz off!"

Lubricants have come a long way and sometimes that's not completely good. In my engine building days, the use of a super oil would keep the new rings from seating! The lube is just too good!

My current favorite lube is by Break free. It's the same as "CLP" but without the solvent/cleaning component.

Flash

Last edited:

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    Lubricants have come a long way and sometimes that's not completely good. In my engine building days, the use of a super oil would keep the new rings from seating! The lube is just too good!
    Flash

Hah!!! You just bought back some memories. Good old non-detergent oil. Perfect for a fresh re-build.

IXLR8

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    Judging by all of the comments there are several excellent ways to clean and preserve your firearm. Most are so good that it would be difficult to pick single winner, because they seem to all pass muster.
    If you don't like FL, then don't use it. I will use it until such time that I get poor results as the OP did. It does seem to repel lint and dust better than the oil based products. To each their own...

I do want to try that Teflon lube, it looks interesting.

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    Been shooting and cleaning guns for over 35 years now and have never bought into the notion that gun oils and cleaners are some magical potion. Other than when I was in the military and forced to use RBC then later on CLP I used what ever was laying around to include used motor oil fresh off the dipstick of my truck. With thousands of rounds a year fired through dozens of different guns I've never once had a lubrication issue, rust issue, or any other lubrication issue with any of my firearms. Guess I'm one of the lucky few out there.

... and in a SHTF scenario there will be zillions of sources of this lube for our guns and not the expensive tiny little "magical" bottles of gun lube potion.

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    Judging by all of the comments there are several excellent ways to clean and preserve your firearm. Most are so good that it would be difficult to pick single winner, because they seem to all pass muster.
    If you don't like FL, then don't use it. I will use it until such time that I get poor results as the OP did. It does seem to repel lint and dust better than the oil based products. To each their own...

I do want to try that Teflon lube, it looks interesting.

Hopefully it won't be at the time when you need that weapon. click*

FrEaK_aCcIdEnT

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 9, 2012
    Cibolo, TX
    Just use it as a target so we don't have more threads like this.

I actually have a bottle of gun butter in the truck. Should be 32°F when I leave in the morning. Going to see if it is any different at or around freezing. The dupont stuff goes on things and soaks in like wd40 then dries with a white haze of Teflon film. I've used it on things in very cold and wet conditions and it hasn't failed me.

If I had my own range, I would shoot many things just for the after results.

Top Bottom