Venture Surplus ad

I'm looking for good reasons to own a 1911, what are they?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    Features I would look for on another 1911.............out of the box....
    70 Series firing system
    Checkered front strap
    Flat checkered mainspring housing
    Beavertail grip safety
    Novak cut for sights

Other things would be nice, but those would be the most important to me.....and the rest could be added later

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    I "think" I might like one with a "rounded" heel at the bottom of the grip. I'd like to shoot one though before I bought one. And I don't prefer multi colored finishes: as in, stainless slide with a blued grip/receiver, or any other "combinations" of finishes.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    I "think" I might like one with a "rounded" heel at the bottom of the grip. I'd like to shoot one though before I bought one. And I don't prefer multi colored finishes: as in, stainless slide with a blued grip/receiver, or any other "combinations" of finishes.
    Although scandium aluminum black on the receiver/grip, that's pretty much my S&W. I do like the round bottom for carry.

MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin
    I've had a couple, fun guns, easy to fiddle with and add parts. Unfortunately I could never hit anything with them. It was just me. Others could shoot them very well.
    Yea I shoot plastic fantastics and revolvers much better than the 1911.

TheMailMan

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 3, 2015
    North of Kaufman
    The two most important things when buying a 1911 are the sights and the grip safety.

Get the sights you want. 1911 sights are a bit harder to change than Glock sights and may even require machining the slide to get them to fit.

Same for the grip safety. If you want a big beavertail grip safety get a gun with one. Switching may require machining of the frame.

Another problem with buying a gun full of MIM parts and switching them over time is that good 1911 parts require some fitting. If you're handy with files and stones this may not be a problem....if not it's off to the gunsmith again. When replacing ignition systems it's best to buy the complete set at once and have them all installed at once. Again, the 1911 is not a Glock and good parts aren't drop in.

Dred

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 12, 2012
    Houston, TX
    MIM ... not a big deal. Until:

1. it fails 'cause it's crap MIM, or ...
    2. you want to smooth the action so it shoots like a hand fit custom - no filing or stoning MIM parts.

Regarding DWs, they are also stainless (excepting the carbon steel limited release guns). Even their Duty Treat (black) guns are stainless.

Regarding the round butts - I had a DW vbob. I learned that I shoot a full grip better so no more bobtails in my personal collection.

Back to MIM - the modern stuff ain't near the nightmare the early injection molded stuff was/is. It's not a deal breaker for me anymore.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Nighthawk.

The picture doesn't actually do it justice.
    The fit and finish of the Nighthawk I had the chance to examine very closely were no better than a production gun. Heck, it had a two inch long stray machine mark inside the slide. Yes, that does not show. But it does not belong in a pistol classified as "semi-custom". Not good craftsmanship. Slide fit, etc. was no better than in a Sig 1911.

Ditto for Ed Brown.

Not saying they are not good 1911's. But for that kind of money I expect to see excellent fit and finish.

Guncrafter has by far the best fit and finish I have seen in any pistol.

I have not had the opportunity to give WC a close examination yet.

BigTexasOne

Support gun control! Hit what you aim at!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2016
    Springtown
    Title pretty much sums it up. I'd just like to hear y'all's reasoning or justification for owning one.

apparently, you have never fired one. After you have, you will understand. Go to a range, rent the best 1911 in their rental fleet, and put 100 rounds through it, then come back and tell us your impressions

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    Title pretty much sums it up. I'd just like to hear y'all's reasoning or justification for owning one.
    What do you mean "justification"?

I am a "War Baby" and grew-up with 1911's. Dad had boxes of spare parts and ammo. We had other types of handguns, but the .45 ACP Colt 1911 was the "bestest". Later, when I was a U S Army Officer, we were switching from the 1911's to the Beretta 92's, but since I wasn't in a "combat unit", I was allowed to keep a 1911, bought some of my own, had endless "free ammo". I just happen to be carrying a .45 Kimber UCDP today, first time I've carried a 1911 in months. Like an Old Friend, fits my hand, controls come naturally, and I can do my own "trouble shooting" if needed. When afield, I always have at least one .45 on me. Just a classic, but still a great piece. Plan to give Dad's wartime Colt to a Grandson soon, the Texas Grandson. Gee, I'm just going-on & on. Reminiscing comes easily at age 76. leVieux

Top Bottom