Join TexasGunTalk

In light of these Walmart incidents...

Discussion in 'Texas Concealed Handgun (CHL)' started by JakeCFH15, Aug 16, 2019.

1. oldag

oldag TGT Addict

Feb 19, 2015
    But wait, there is more. And here are some reference sources for you as well.

As reported by ABC, hardly a gun friendly source:
    Thus many of John Lott's (senior research scholar at Yale's School of Law) controversial results take the dry form of statements about coefficients and confidence intervals.

If Lott's thesis is correct, regression coefficients relating confrontational crime rates to the passage of laws that require officials to issue concealed weapon permits are negative. That is, more guns, less crime. The values of these coefficients are also statistically significant, not likely to have occurred by chance. Suffice it to say that Lott's formal calculations are not wrong in any blatant way.

Gun homicides were 10% higher in states with restrictive CCW laws, according to a study spanning 1980-2009. {An examination of the effects of concealed weapons laws and assault weapons bans on state-level murder rates, Applied Economics Letters, Vol 21, No. 4}

States that disallow concealed carry have violent crime rates 11% higher than national averages.
    {FBI, Uniform Crime Reports, 2004 – excludes Hawaii and Rhode Island – small populations and geographic isolation create other determinants to violent crime}

Enjoy.

2. mamboloco

mamboloco Member

Aug 14, 2019
    DFW
    on the legal answer: read a copy of the "law of self defense" by branca. he will say avoid the shooter if you have the chance. The cost of defending yourself, and the potential liability is too big. what if you get to the front and see a guy with a gun and drop him and he turned out to be another CHL looking for the bad guy?

on the non-legal side, Watch the Christchurch video to understand what happens to someone trying to sneak up to a rifle guy..

3. DoubleDuty

DoubleDuty Active Member

Feb 9, 2019
    DFW
    I would be doing what is in my and mines best interest before anything else.

bowserb, rmantoo and Kar98 like this.
  4. oldag

oldag TGT Addict

Feb 19, 2015
    I appreciate and honor anyone who lays down his life for his fellow man. Regardless of whether or not he wears a uniform.

I would hope others would as well, but perhaps not.

WAYnorthTX likes this.
  5. robertc1024

robertc1024 Please sir, can I have some more? TGT Supporter

Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos

6. birddog

birddog bullshit meter

Mar 4, 2008
    nunya
    Lot of pissy folks need to hit the Funny Pictures thread more often :)

7. Mowingmaniac 24/7

Mowingmaniac 24/7 TGT Addict

Nov 7, 2015
    I'ma rootin tootin Yosemite Sam I am!

Now, where's them bad guys - I'll fix em.......

Dancing Heretik likes this.
  8. Kar98

Kar98 TGT Addict

Aug 8, 2016
    DFW
    Better training, better equipped, better lawyers and simpler rules of engagement: everyone over there needs being dead, go!

bowserb likes this.
  9. WAYnorthTX

WAYnorthTX Active Member

Aug 6, 2019
    Way Up North
    Like most of you, I ASSUME, that in a bad situation, I hope that I would be able to help. I would hope that circumstances would be favorable to me being in the right place, and that I would have the courage to do what needed to be done. I have every expectation that I would be able to do it, I carry wherever I can, and I pray to the Lord Jesus for strength and guidance. But until that time comes, I can only hope, pray, and practice. It [an active shooter situation] is one of many things that I hope I never have to do, like fight in a civil war.

91B10 and bowserb like this.
  10. Big Green

Big Green Well-Known TGT Supporter

Mar 5, 2018
    College Station
    Like you and many others, I signed that dotted line, three times. Would do it again and have been actively thinking about again.

One slight difference between military and possibly LEO. As a civilian, I have no SGLI to take care of my family afterwards.

Does that mean I won’t protect my fellow Americans if the poo hit the fan and I was in a favorable position to eliminate the threat? No, just the personal situation of me writing that check has a much more potential negative effect for MY family. As a husband and father, one of my first duties is to them.

rmantoo and birddog like this.