• ...and so much more!
  • Wiliamr

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Austin
    My current home feels almost indefensible by just 2 occupants. Every one of the 4 walls have large windows.

If things hit the fan, this would not serve as a fortress at all. If under attack, I won't turn on the lights inside the house of course, but I have my hands full here. Installed a couple if cameras, but that's only good as long as you have wifi and power.

Any suggestions, or what are you doing if you're in a similar situation?
    I am going to make an assumption: you were never in an infantry unit. That being said: your house is never a fortress. It is a trap. It can be set on fire, it is a target for those on the outside, to pump rounds into and unless your walls are solid rock at least a foot thick, those rounds will hit someone.Houses around you are concealment for assaulting forces. It will not repel someone with a vehicle who drives into a wall.
    You can harden it somewhat to allow you to get out at your choice of egress, but it will be breached.
    When SHTF, your best bet it to not wall yourself inside,
    Texas SOT

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    Realistically, though, you probably just need to put up enough resistance to make them move on to a soft target. There will be plenty of the latter that can be attacked with no risk. Why would they risk facing lead flying at them when they can go another house where the residents are unarmed?
    In a rural setting, you are probably right.....in an urban setting, they will just burn you out/down........killing will not be a problem for them. Shoot a couple of their group/gang and they will kill you either way....

People will not be rational, morals will vanish and the savagery will be horrific....

The only plans the Government has for SHTF is for the Government to survive, not the we citizens...

jmho.........people are really not prepared for a real long term STHF...............

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    In a rural setting, you are probably right.....in an urban setting, they will just burn you out/down........killing will not be a problem for them. Shoot a couple of their group/gang and they will kill you either way....

People will not be rational, morals will vanish and the savagery will be horrific....

The only plans the Government has for SHTF is for the Government to survive, not the we citizens...

jmho.........people are really not prepared for a real long term STHF...............
    I think it is more true in the city than in a rural setting. In a city, many soft targets will be close by.

In the country, soft targets may be farther away.

And I think the bravery of thugs may be overestimated here. Shot one of their gang and they will probably head for the hills.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Well, if I was King and wanted to oust the peasants from their huts, I'd shut-off electricity and interweb, then give it a week or 2.
    Shut off the water & it won't take to long for the toilets to stink out of your own place. Leaving power on so those stuck realize just how phuked they are. Places with lights on & an A/C running with be an invitation to be investigated.

PinnedandRecessed

Allegedly
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 11, 2019
    Hays County
    1. If you're defensively minded, why would you choose to live in a glass cube?

2. Everyone's f'd no matter which option you choose. The running through the woods, loner, end of days fantasy is horseshit. Some pos with a PSA "freedom" rifle will take you out.

3. Have enough stuff to last 30 days. If the event last longer than that...good luck to us all.

Lonesome Dove

A man of vision but with no mission.
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 25, 2018
    Cut n Shoot, Texas
    And why did you choose to live in a guaranteed targeted city such as Houston?

Houston, Austin, Dallas, San Antonio and all the portal cities will be hit/taken hardest.

Txhighlander

Truth against the world
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jan 25, 2021
    Atlanta Tx.

This, remember most people obey the law somewhat due to prison is an inconvenience . If things come to a complete fall that will no longer be a deterant. Add that to starving to death and you might have food, doesn't take a lot of imagination to predict the outcome.

Wudidiz

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 8, 2022
    Tomball
    My choice is to put out to sea in my well stocked, heavily armed, seaworthy boat, capable of moving under sail or diesel. I have stocked a large supply of fishing gear, food, and ammo onboard. I also stock scuba gear, spear guns, radios, medicine and various identity flags.
    I feel safer sneaking around in the water. I'll take my chances where I have a more unrestricted view of my surroundings. Also, my neighbors are mostly a bunch of spooky, no-gun snowflakes. Real shit storm magnets. Anyone could haul off their shit while they cringe in the corner holding their fireplace poker and pissing in their pants.

MountainGirl

Happy to be here!
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 22, 2022
    Ten Oaks
    I think it is more true in the city than in a rural setting. In a city, many soft targets will be close by.

In the country, soft targets may be farther away.

And I think the bravery of thugs may be overestimated here. Shot one of their gang and they will probably head for the hills.
    You're right about the city... but if they head for these hills they'll soon learn their chances were better where they were.

Soft, East Texas ain't. Just sayin.

Eastexasrick

Isn't it pretty to think so.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2022
    Cass County TX.
    You're right about the city... but if they head for these hills they'll soon learn their chances were better where they were.

Soft, East Texas ain't. Just sayin.
    The only decision you will concern yourself with is do you bayonet the wounded before you strip the dead of their munitions and supplies?

DoubleDuty

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 9, 2019
    DFW
    This, remember most people obey the law somewhat due to prison is an inconvenience . If things come to a complete fall that will no longer be a deterant. Add that to starving to death and you might have food, doesn't take a lot of imagination to predict the outcome.
    We already witnessed it with Covid, people were scarfing up all the groceries and necessary household goods with nary a thought about their fellow citizens.

DustyDuds

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2023
    Fort Worth
    You can probably find the answer to your question pretty easily if you first define the threat that you want to defend against.

If the assumption is that the basic tenets of society exist and that law enforcement is available, but may take as much as sixty minutes to assist you, then a safe room with some means of communication and very basic necessities makes sense.

If the assumption is that the social contract and associated government have dissolved, then the defense of a single home by its owner is not practical for many reasons; some of which have already been mentioned.

If the latter assumption is what you are asking about then you must consider the time tested adage “safety in numbers “. Think about a group of like minded people that you can associate with and form a “tribe” for communal defense.

As the former society deteriorates your tribe must grow to maintain the culture you wish to live in.

Top Bottom