• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cogent Design

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2014
    A buddy of mine has a Marlin 795. It has a shorter barrel than my Savage and is semi auto, magazine fed. He keeps it in his truck and it still shoots.
    Hurley's Gold

bones_708

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2013
    That's not what I read but it doesn't really matter.

Modern ones are pretty capable, especially in 22 for smaller game.

Yep, a good air rifle would be a great SHTF survival rifle because of the ability to be used without traditional "ammo". The L&C expedition reported used the air rifle, they only had one, to impress the native americans during their trip. Every encounter with a new group they brought it out to show off. Using too often would of been unnecessary risk considering the delicate nature of the gun and the value of the demonstrations.

Mike1234567

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    South Texas
    I'd look for a used bolt action in stainless and synthetic. I'm sure a Savage Axis with some minor cosmetic issues can be had for around $250 or less. They're not available in rimfire calibers but if it was me and I wanted to hunt up to medium game (whitetail deer) then I wouldn't use rimfire anyway. I'd opt for .223 Rem as a minimum or .308 Win. A steel ammo can with a good seal and a fresh pack of desiccant will keep the ammo and other items safe.

EDIT: I should have mentioned that the Axis mags are notorious fro breaking so you'd need a spare or two.

Last edited:

David Watson

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2014
    Taylor/Eastland County
    I have a Ruger MKII threaded barrel/suppressor and a Marlin 336 30-30. If I had to use either for protection I would aim for the Femur or hip socket. Painful and disabling. A .22 may not be lethal but can sure be a distraction and lots of rounds easily carried. Just my opinion.

high_lander

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2010
    Denton County, TX
    I have a Marlin 70P (papoose) tucked under the rear seat of the One-Fiddy. Two mags of 10 rds, wrench (even though it it's gtg just hand wrenched), receiver and barrel all in a carry case. Small, light, accurate and easy to carry.

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    I would up my price to afford a Delton and go with a AR15. SHTF and the phrase "make it home" sounds like a bigger round and capabilities would be desirable. I would find a case that holds one broken down with several mags and a chest rig.

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    Ruger.jpg

Ruger 10/22 in Stainless, folding stock would be my vote. For ammo, I would pick up a small .30 cal ammo can. Its water proof, rugged and you can put in some other stuff for survival.

That said I do have some bad news for you. "Hill country wilderness" There ain't none! The place is loaded with houses, many cannot be seen until you drive up on them. Spend some time on Google Earth and you will see. Yes you will also see some areas where their are no houses, most of those are working ranches. Most are going to have game cameras everywhere. Its never a wise idea to cross a fence in rural Tex unless you have permission. Its just not worth it and if something happens that forces some folks out of their houses and to head for the HC, nothing good can come of that. Up around Austin you can find a mess of liberal land owners that don't own guns, but in most areas rural folks are going to be heavily armed...

rl96ss

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    CenTex
    H
    How prevalent are the mags for this gun?
    Well you get 5 to start you off for $399 at PSA along with a pouch and sling (bayonet no longer available) and extra mags seem to run about $15. Not as prevalent as AK mags, but they're out there.

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    HWell you get 5 to start you off for $399 at PSA along with a pouch and sling (bayonet no longer available) and extra mags seem to run about $15. Not as prevalent as AK mags, but they're out there.

THe more I looked at this gun the more I am convinced a WASR would be a better investment. Might save afew bucks at the initial purchase but when adding extra gear the pricing will level out. WASR stuff is far more available and at super cheap pricing.

Top Bottom