• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DubiousDan

Trump 2024
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    San Antonio
    My speed is supposed to be 30Mb/s down but I've been told it will go up to 300Mb/s in the next month or so. Here's hoping.

I get similar results at the M-Lab site.

4283629055.png
    Gun Zone Deals

Last edited:

FrEaK_aCcIdEnT

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 9, 2012
    Cibolo, TX
    I have TWC Extreme. Supposed to be 50mb service right now and going to 200mb by the end of the month. I just bought a SB6183 cable modem that is good for 300mb service. I am getting 34 down and 6 up. I am going to call to see why it isn't the advertised 50mb service right now.

DudiousDan, sounds like we are on the same service. Can't wait for the new speeds to kick in. We jumped on the 34.99/month deal for standard Internet with free extreme upgrade for a year. So 34.99/month for 200mb service in the end. I can handle that!

We also just cut the cord for cable TV bought a HDTV antenna and a preamplifier. Now we get every station down here that is free in HD.

IXLR8

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    /<TinFoilHatOn>/
    That faster speed will sure cut down the time that the NSA has to deal with you. They can get what they need real quick now....

/<TinFoilHatOff>/

Last edited:

DubiousDan

Trump 2024
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    San Antonio
    I have TWC Extreme. Supposed to be 50mb service right now and going to 200mb by the end of the month. I just bought a SB6183 cable modem that is good for 300mb service. I am getting 34 down and 6 up. I am going to call to see why it isn't the advertised 50mb service right now.

DudiousDan, sounds like we are on the same service. Can't wait for the new speeds to kick in. We jumped on the 34.99/month deal for standard Internet with free extreme upgrade for a year. So 34.99/month for 200mb service in the end. I can handle that!

We also just cut the cord for cable TV bought a HDTV antenna and a preamplifier. Now we get every station down here that is free in HD.

The way I look at it is that I'm very happy with the 30Mb/s I have now and after it goes up to 300Mb/s and if they raise their prices I can go to a lower tier of service and still be happy.

DubiousDan

Trump 2024
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    San Antonio
    I got an email from TWC today saying my internet speed has been increased and this is the result. It was supposed to be 200Mbps. At M-Lab it was 165Mbps. It could be because they just rolled it out or because everyone in my neighborhood is testing it out. It's still a big increase from the 30Mbps I had before.

4312438214.png

Just tested again and got this.

4312457147.png

Last edited:

FrEaK_aCcIdEnT

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 9, 2012
    Cibolo, TX
    I got this over night last night. This was on my WiFi using my cell phone and not my hard line. I have to get and hard line to my pc this weekend to see what Ican really get.

I'm one happy camper right now. I will post a pic of my cleaned up OnQ box. I had to fit a Netgear R7000 AC1900 router, Motorola AARIS 6183 cable modem, and all my antenna/cable in a small OnQ box. Spent more than I should have on specialty fittings, but it will be an engineering feet when done. I have to modify the cover to accept the 2 120mm fans. :-)

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-04-23-02-07-49.jpg
      Screenshot_2015-04-23-02-07-49.jpg
      11.7 KB · Views: 140

MitchKov

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2014
    Yall are flying...I pay $60 a month and my speeds are garbage.

Measured last night and this morning, 18-20 down, 2 up

We've been looking to switch cable and internet but think seeing all these may have sealed the deal

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Long dead thread, but how times change:
    Wow.

I'm still using exactly who I was using in the exact same configuration as when this thread started. So I get exactly the same ping times; my up/down speeds are roughly doubled. And the price has gone down a bit. That's progress but it's nothing like what you've posted.

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    Wow.
    I'm still using exactly who I was using in the exact same configuration as when this thread started. So I get exactly the same ping times; my up/down speeds are roughly doubled. And the price has gone down a bit. That's progress but it's nothing like what you've posted.

Fiber was installed on the poles behind my home less than two months ago. A few days before Christmas AT&T emailed and offered a 2 year deal on 1Gb fiber for $13/mo more than I was paying for 24/5Mbs. Jumped on it immediately ... AAMOF, it was actually installed on Christmas eve, took about four hours, and the two man crew didn't leave until 6PM that night.

What you see is a Cat 5e Ethernet connection to their router, on a five year old laptop. I doubt if I can get much more out of the theoretical 1Gb with Cat6.

WiFi connections are about half that on the 5Ghz band (basically symmetrical), mainly due to an older wireless LAN card in the laptop (outdated protocol support). I could increase that somewhat with a new USB wireless card/antenna, but haven't bothered.

Basically the old iPad and iPhone wireless are WiFi bottle necks, but the ability to connect more WiFi devices does makes a noticeable difference, especially connecting to the 2.4Ghz band for those devices on the second floor, and on the back deck.

Can finally watch my weekly TWIT fix anywhere on the back deck with the iPad, and the RING doorbell views instantly with no buffering.

Only drawback thus far was an apparent problem between YouTube and AT&T where YouTube's adaptive bit rate streaming doesn't play nice with AT&T's network, which was causing excessive buffering on any video above 144p.

I'd previously had problems with AT&T's DNS, solved by disabling IPv6 on the old LAN connection which the installation processes had re-enabled. When I disabled it again, the buffering problem ceased immediately. Not convinced that was the problem, but haven't had to the chance to check it out further.

So far, waiting for other shoe to drop ...

Last edited:

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    I recently upgraded to the newly available 8 MBPS service in my area and have been tickled to death that it always seems to test out in the 8 - 9 range. I can watch youtube now without buffering. Won't be seeing 800 here anytime in the foreseeable future.

Top Bottom