• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    I've updated my 4S to the latest iOS6 finally and I'm pretty pleased with the subtle changes. The map feature has been GREATLY improved. The road signs are way more legible and the 3D tilt and pan is freaking awesome. No more zooming in and out for 10 minutes trying to find a particular road name. You can save addresses to contacts (not sure if it's new) which is cool.

Anyone else update to iOS6 yet? Any cool new features you used / found? I noticed YouTube is no longer there, I need to download the App.

Press Release Info from Apple:

iOS SDK Release Notes for iOS 6 beta 4

Important: This is a preliminary document for an API or technology in development. Although this document has been reviewed for technical accuracy, it is not final. This Apple confidential information is for use only by registered members of the applicable Apple Developer program. Apple is supplying this confidential information to help you plan for the adoption of the technologies and programming interfaces described herein. This information is subject to change, and software implemented according to this document should be tested with final operating system software and final documentation. Newer versions of this document may be provided with future seeds of the API or technology.

Introduction

iOS SDK 6.0 provides support for developing iOS apps, and it includes the complete set of Xcode tools, compilers, and frameworks for creating apps for iOS and OS X. These tools include the Xcode IDE and the Instruments analysis tool, among many others.

With this software you can develop apps for iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch running iOS 6. You can also test your apps using the included iOS Simulator, which supports iOS 6. iOS SDK 6.0 requires a Mac computer running OS X 10.7.4 or higher (Lion).

This version of iOS is intended for installation only on devices registered with Apple's Developer Program. Attempting to install this version of iOS in an unauthorized manner could put your device in an unusable state.

For more information and additional support resources, visit http://developer.apple.com/programs/ios/.

Bug Reporting
    To report any bugs not mentioned in the "Notes and Known Issues" section, please use the Apple Bug Reporter on the Apple Developer website (http://developer.apple.com/bugreporter/). Additionally, you may discuss these issues and iOS SDK 6 in the Apple Developer Forums:http://devforums.apple.com. You can get more information about iCloud for Developers at http://developer.apple.com/icloud.

Apple - iOS 6 - iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch get 200+ new features. -- Link to Apple's iOS6 page.

Siri Updates
    With iOS 6, Siri understands more languages and works in more countries.[SUP]2[/SUP] So you can get more things done in more places around the world. Want to know the latest scores and stats for your favorite teams and players? Thanks to iOS 6, Siri knows the answers. Or maybe it’s movie night. Siri can show you the latest reviews and showtimes. Find the best restaurants in town and make reservations. Even have Siri open your apps for you — no tapping required. Say “Launch Flight Tracker” or “Open Angry Birds” and Siri does just that. You can also use Siri to post Facebook updates and tweet for you.

Facebook Integration
    Now it’s easier than ever to interact with the world’s largest social network. And there’s no need to leave your app to do it. Share a photo to Facebook right from Camera or Photos. Post your location right from Maps. Brag about a high score right from Game Center. If you have your hands full, just ask Siri to post for you. You need to sign in to Facebook only once, and you’ll be off and sharing. Never miss another birthday or get-together, since Facebook events are integrated into Calendar. And your Facebook friends’ profile information is integrated into Contacts, so when they update an email address or phone number you automatically stay up to date. Now that’s something to post about.

Shared Photo Streams
    Now you can share just the photos you want, with just the people you choose. Simply select photos from the Photos app, tap the Share button, choose who you want to share your photos with, and they’re on their way. Friends using iCloud on an iOS 6 device or a Mac running Mountain Lion get the photos delivered immediately in the Photos app or iPhoto. You can even view Shared Photo Streams on Apple TV. If the folks you're sharing with aren’t using an Apple device, they can view your photos on the web. People can like individual photos and make comments. And you can share as much as you want: Your Shared Photo Streams don’t count against your iCloud storage, and they work over Wi-Fi and cellular networks.

Passbook
    Your boarding passes, movie tickets, retail coupons, loyalty cards, and more are now all in one place. With Passbook, you can scan your iPhone or iPod touch to check in for a flight, get into a movie, and redeem a coupon. You can also see when your coupons expire, where your concert seats are, and the balance left on that all-important coffee bar card. Wake your iPhone or iPod touch, and passes appear on your Lock screen at the appropriate time and place — like when you reach the airport or walk into the store to redeem your gift card or coupon. And if your gate changes after you’ve checked in for your flight, Passbook will even alert you to make sure you’re not relaxing in the wrong terminal.

Facetime Update (Now on Cell Network)
    FaceTime now works over cellular networks as well as Wi-Fi, so you can make and receive FaceTime calls wherever you happen to be.[SUP]3[/SUP] You can even make and receive FaceTime calls on your iPad using your phone number. That means you can use FaceTime wherever you are, on any device. And never miss another wink, smile, air kiss, or eye roll.

New Call Features

iOS 6 adds new calling features to your iPhone. Now when you decline an incoming call, you can instantly reply with a text message or set a callback reminder. And when things are just too hectic, turn on Do Not Disturb and you won’t be bothered by anyone — except can’t-miss contacts like your boss or your better half.

New Mail Features
    Redesigned with a more streamlined interface for easier reading and writing, Mail in iOS 6 lets you set up a VIP list so you’ll never miss an important message from your accountant, your boss, or your BFF. It’s even easier to add photos and videos to email messages. And to refresh your mailboxes, all you have to do is swipe down.

New Safari Updates
    iOS 6 brings even better web browsing to your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. iCloud Tabs keeps track of which pages you have open on your devices, so you can start browsing on one device and pick up right where you left off, on whatever device is handy. Safari now saves web pages — not just links — in your Reading List, so you can catch up on your reading even when you can’t connect to the Internet.[SUP]4[/SUP] And when you’re posting a photo or video to eBay, Craigslist, or another site, you can take photos and video — or choose from your Camera Roll — without leaving Safari. When you really want to see the whole picture, turn your iPhone or iPod touch to landscape and tap the full-screen icon to view web pages without distractions.

Accessibility Updates
    iOS 6 comes with even more features to make it easier for people with vision, hearing, learning, and mobility disabilities to get the most from their iOS devices. Guided Access helps students with disabilities such as autism remain on task and focused on content. It allows a parent, teacher, or administrator to limit an iOS device to one app by disabling the Home button, as well as restrict touch input on certain areas of the screen. VoiceOver, the revolutionary screen reader for blind and low-vision users, is now integrated with Maps, AssistiveTouch, and Zoom. And Apple is working with top manufacturers to introduce Made for iPhone hearing aids that will deliver a power-efficient, high-quality digital audio experience.

Panoramic Pictures / Camera

The new panorama feature for iPhone and iPod touch lets you capture everything from a momentous family reunion photo to a sweeping vista.[SUP]6[/SUP] With one simple motion you can shoot up to 240 degrees — even vertically, to get that redwood tree, say. Then hardware and software work together to create one seamless, high-resolution panorama.

Find my Friends Update
    Find My Friends is a great way to share locations with friends and family.[SUP]7[/SUP] Those who share their locations with you appear on a map so you can quickly see where they are and what they’re up to. And with iOS 6, you can get location-based alerts — like when your kids leave school or arrive home. Find My Friends can also notify others about your location, so you can stay connected or keep track of the ones you love.

Lost Mode / Find my iPhone
    It happens. You misplace your iPhone or your iPad or your iPod touch. Luckily, iOS 6 and iCloud now offer Lost Mode, making it even easier to use Find My iPhone to locate and protect a missing device.[SUP]7[/SUP] Immediately lock your missing iPhone with a four-digit passcode and send it a message displaying a contact number. That way a good Samaritan can call you from your Lock screen without accessing the rest of the information on your iPhone. And while in Lost Mode, your device will keep track of where it’s been and report back to you anytime you check in with the Find My iPhone app.

Maps Update
    Beautifully designed from the ground up (and the sky down), Maps changes the way you see the world. Map elements are vector based, so graphics and text are incredibly detailed — even when you zoom all the way in — and panning is smooth. Tilt and rotate to view an area, and Maps keeps the names of streets and places where they belong. Get visual and spoken turn-by-turn navigation and real-time traffic updates. Even soar over cityscapes to see the sights from the air in amazing, high-resolution quality
    Capitol Armory ad

keith_tx

Bit and Byte Wrangler
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 18, 2012
    League City
    Jailbroke my iPhone 4S some time back, so I'm guessing that's why the update fails after downloading. Guess I'll have to restore it back to 5.1. Not sure if it's worth the trouble though.

winchster

Right Wing Extremist
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    Justin, TX
    Only complaint thus far was my playlist vanished.

ETA: Then I figure out all the videos I favorited on YouTube are gone as well. @&££@***@#%!!!!!

rsayloriii

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    H-Town, TX
    Jailbroke my iPhone 4S some time back, so I'm guessing that's why the update fails after downloading. Guess I'll have to restore it back to 5.1. Not sure if it's worth the trouble though.

I did the same thing (jailbreak). Make a backup of the phone, then do a restore. It will search for the latest OS, which should pop as ios6. Then just follow any prompts. I didn't have a problem with it.

tussery

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    Corpus Christi
    I have to say comparing the new Maps side by side with Google Maps on my Galaxy Nexus. Apple should have put more development time in before making the switch.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    Only complaint thus far was my playlist vanished.

ETA: Then I figure out all the videos I favorited on YouTube are gone as well. @&££@***@#%!!!!!

My Playlist is still there. I wish all the ones that are not mine would vanish.

You tube favorites are still linked to your YT account. D/L the YT app and login.

Maps suck though. Lost a lot of detail.

winchster

Right Wing Extremist
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    Justin, TX
    My Playlist is still there. I wish all the ones that are not mine would vanish.

You tube favorites are still linked to your YT account. D/L the YT app and login.

Maps suck though. Lost a lot of detail.

Tried that. No luck in the YT thing. Funny thing is, all my playlist that weren't mine are gone and the only one that came back was mine lol.

ScorpionHunter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2012
    Driftwood
    I think the Maps are pretty good for Apple's first try at them. Turn by turn is handy. The panorama feature for the camera is fun. Canon has had that on their cameras for years and I've used it more than I thought I would. You can also now add photos directly into emails. It took me a while to figure out how. You have to tap the body of the email to open up the menu. The other thing I can see my wife using is the Guided Access for when the kids want to use the phone.

Orbie

Born Texan
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 21, 2011
    San Antonio
    FYI. Some people downloading iOS6 are losing the ability to ajust volume and some are losing all audio. I would wait to download.

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    Upgraded my IPad and my Wife's. All good so far. Seems faster but I'll admit I never put a stop watch on either, so take that as perception. I like the maps and the clock feature. Still haven't explored everything said to be upgraded.

TXARGUY

Famous Among Dozens
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 31, 2012
    Wildcat Thicket, Texas
    I'd been waiting for the iOS6 to come out before deciding which phone to get next. I've owned iPhones since the very first day they came out. I had a blog/forum called ifonenation.com (I've since sold it to a Japanese company that is just sitting on the domain name right now) that I started in 2007 that kept up with the latest news and jailbreaks. I have a 3Gs because I have not been impressed with the 4G or 4Gs and didn't feel like getting into a new contract over them. My wife and daughter have 4Gs and are probably about to jump into the 5. Me? After seeing the iOS6 my mind is now made up. I'm finally leaving the iPhone in my rear view mirror and going with the Samsung galaxy s3.

warmachine77

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 12, 2012
    United States
    I'd been waiting for the iOS6 to come out before deciding which phone to get next. I've owned iPhones since the very first day they came out. I had a blog/forum called ifonenation.com (I've since sold it to a Japanese company that is just sitting on the domain name right now) that I started in 2007 that kept up with the latest news and jailbreaks. I have a 3Gs because I have not been impressed with the 4G or 4Gs and didn't feel like getting into a new contract over them. My wife and daughter have 4Gs and are probably about to jump into the 5. Me? After seeing the iOS6 my mind is now made up. I'm finally leaving the iPhone in my rear view mirror and going with the Samsung galaxy s3.

S3 is awesome and so is android (former iPhone user)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    1qwerty
    Top Bottom