• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sobi1998

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2016
    Ballistics aside, is it worth it to get a 300BLK upper? I just built a new lower and need an upper. I planned on 300BLK but the only hang up is the ammo is expensive. I only want it to drop deer and hogs easier with an AR platform. So I guess my question is, is it worth getting considering the ammo isn't as cheap as 5.56? My friend suggested getting another 5.56 upper and just save up for a
    .308 AR-10

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Lynx Defense

diesel1959

por vida
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2013
    Houston & BFE
    The .300BLK's best virtue is for suppressed, subsonic use--like in CQB/entry team type stuff. Anything else, there's a better choice to be found--for instance, the 6.8SPC, the 6.5Grendel, etc. Don't buy into the hype that the .300BLK is some omnipotent do-all cartridge.

texasnurse

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2016
    A .308 is better suited for bolt guns, built to withstand the cartridge IMHO. Like others said the .300 BLK is better suited for SBR, placement is key with 5.56 in hunting 6.5 Grendel is better suited over 200 yards.

Sent with my IPhone with electronics and fuzzy logic...

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Suppressed and preferably SBR. Otherwise, probably not worth it.

Subsonic 300BO has a fairly limited application. But you can run a very short barrel without losing anything with supers, add the can and you're back at a standard AR length with supers that don't hurt your ears and hit about like a 30-30.

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    OP, I had the same question, but I went ahead and bought a 300 Blackout upper. 16" barrel, unsuppressed. Already have 2 ARs in .223, so I just drafted one of the lowers to put the new upper on. I'm pretty happy with it. For around $315, I have a new rifle.

Ammo is more expensive, but you can find it in the 50¢ per round range. S&B or Magtech for FMJ. I have only shot supersonic so far. Found these Speer 125 gr TNT rounds for about the same price as the Magtech FMJ. They have some pretty reasonable subsonic ammo too.

https://modernarmsinternational.com/shop/new-brass-125gr-speertnt-supersonic-250-rounds-copy/

ed308

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    DFW
    For hunting, the 6.8 is a better choice. You can run it suppressed as a SBR and not loose much performance you'd get with a 16" barrel. Hunting ammo is around $18 and up. Good for hunting out to 350 and even 400 yards. The 6.8 has about 80% of the power of a .308 but none of the extra weight you get with the AR10 frame. I like the 6.5 Grendel too, but it does better with longer barrels, 20" and up.

locke_n_load

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Houston, TX
    Suppressed and preferably SBR. Otherwise, probably not worth it.

Subsonic 300BO has a fairly limited application. But you can run a very short barrel without losing anything with supers, add the can and you're back at a standard AR length with supers that don't hurt your ears and hit about like a 30-30.

Hopefully some bullet and ammo manufacturers are working on some expanding subsonic ammo (priced right) that is better for hunting that the old 220 gr OTM that is not designed for hunting/self defense. Only one I know of right now is LeHigh and they are priced, high.

300blk

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    i have quite a few 300bo and only reload subsonic 300bo. I think it is only good if suppressed, otherwise just get an AK47.

You can get a pistol configuration and now that shouldering SB braces does not redesign the rifle to an SBR. You just have to spring for the suppressor.

I hunt hogs from a suppressed SBR in 300bo and barnes vortx 110gr has always dropped hogs in one shot.

regarding cost, get an inexpensive reloading setup. Lots of powder available now

I did recently buy 1000 rounds of suppressed 300bo for .50/each which isnt terrible, but reloading gets it down to about .25

Mike_from_Texas

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    North Texas
    It's best suited for short barrels. I've had fantastic success with killing hogs and deer with mine shooting suppressed supersonic. Most shots the animal is DRT shooting hand loads with the 110 grain Barnes TAC-TX bullets. And it's a very handy package since it's an SBR. I get 2315 fps out of my 8" barrel with hand loads. The shots here are at 300 yards so it's plenty accurate too. Disregard the high shot, that was shooter error.

41d3faea666d6cc19cb771e4d18431fa.jpg

There are a few expanding subsonic bullets available if you reload. I've not had good luck with the Lehigh expanding loads.

I killed a 12 point buck last season with the 220 grain Noveske subsonic Ammo. There's a company called Blackout bullets that makes a sub expanding Bullet as well as outlaw state bullets and there's one other company that makes one that the Bullet is called T. rex or something like that.

As long as you stay within the limitation of the round and keep it 200 yards and in for killing critters it's a good cartridge.

No way I would want to carry around a fat ass AR10. I've been there, done that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    It's not unusual for me to have the dissenting opinion but I sure disagree on this one! Thrift runs in my Scottish veins and I always look at projects like this with cost and value received as my main focus,

Been working on this very project for about 7 months in .300 Blackout, .375 Socom and .458 Socom uppers for AR-15. All of these are designed to put serious teeth into the AR-15 without modifications to the lower or the magazine. The three calibers are absolute winners in economic equipment, silenced subsonic and supersonic standard length operation.............IF you know how to do it!

I don't hunt or use silencers but my friends are all into SBR's, silencers and hunting deer and hogs. so I get the unique opportunity so see many applications of the same caliber. The 300 BLK is a total winner in supersonic, subsonic and hunting depending what load that you choose.

For my standard barrel lengths, I use a 150 grain FMJ Hornady bullet that costs about 20 cents each. A similar soft point bullet is is available for a little more money.............maybe 25 cents each. The .300 BLK is cheap to load and shoot if you stay with the 150 grain bullets. Still, Academy sells a "bucket" of .300 BLK and some loaded ammo in the $14 per box range. That's not expensive for a high performance caliber!

Because the 300 BLK was designed as a SAAMI accepted cartridge, it is readily available and cost will continue to drop as more manufacturers produce it. By comparison, the ancestor of 300 Blackout, the 300 Whisper was never accepted by SAAMI, it is still a proprietary cartridge and remains in the background. Load data is the same for both cartridges.

Just a word about some other AR-15 cartridges:

.458 Socom. It's still a proprietary cartridge that turns the AR-15 into a shoulder cannon! I've seen what this round can do to hogs. It's a knockdown slam dunk!

People wail about the high cost of shooting this .458 Socom caliber. They cite $3 per round and $1 per bullet for reloading your own. It's really not expensive! In standard barrel lengths the 45-70 bullet at 300 grains (Hornady #4500) is on sale for $20 per 50 is the perfect projectile for .458 Socom. That calculates to about 39 cents per bullet! It comes out of the muzzle at about 1900 feet per second and it's a block buster! Starline makes the brass and it's fairly easy to load. It does take some "grunt" on the press handle, however.

.375 Socom. This is the one to watch! Unwilling to make the same 300 Whisper mistake, this round is being tested by SAAMI members and will be a SAAMI accepted round. Right now, shooting cost is high, but when all of the SAAMI data is complete, you will see this round take off! I actually have, and work with every day, the SAAMI maximum load data and we're preparing loads for standard length barrels, SBR's, silenced and unsilenced rifles. We are testing sub sonic and supersonic loads. Watch this caliber develop once it is approved by SAAMI!

Back to the OP. 300 Blackout? Hell, yes! It's a winner for standard length barrels, supersonic, subsonic, SBR and silencer use! With proper placement, it's a knockdown guaranteed hunting cartridge!

Flash

Last edited:

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    The problem with judging if it's worth it is that everyone places a different value on certain abilities or characteristics.

I don't think a high end 1911 is worth it, but for others it's a no brainer. I also dot. Feel that a Noveske AR is worth it, but for many a DPMS or M&P is a bad choice.

So, if you are going to decide if 300BO is worth it you need to decide what is important to you. If a short barrel, suppression, short to medium range .30cal, etc are things you like then it is probably worth looking at.

If you have no interest in an SBR, want cheap ammo, are happy with 2moa accuracy, not overly concerned with rifle weight, or want to shoot a little further then there are probably better options.

It is pretty cool shooting Subs. Nice and quiet with a good punch. That said, I only really run subs now when someone wants to try it for the giggle factor. Aside from that I keep 110Vmax supers loaded for general pest control without making a bunch of noise.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    The guys that I work with are into SBR, silencers and subsonic rounds. I have a full length barrel and shoot only supersonic rounds. Our hunters are blown away with the performance of the 300BLK and it's a super easy and economical cartridge to reload. Everyone is pretty happy!

Doesn't that cover most of the bases?

Sorry, I don't see any merit in the typical "I heard" Internet wisdom regarding 300 BLK.

Flash

Last edited:

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Nothing "I heard" about my opinion. I own and shoot 300BO both subsonic and supersonic, as well as multiple other calibers.

It's ok, it's not going to be worth it for everybody.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Thaskinny1
    Top Bottom