• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rifletex91

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 8, 2010
    Houston
    Was kind of board and just want to get some peoples thoughts on this. I know a lot of people say that scopes aren't worth putting on a ak47(7.62x39) simply because the ballistics of the bullet aren't that great. Aren't the ballistics similar to a 30-30? But wouldn't maybe a 3-9x40 scope be worth mounting on an ak74. The 5.45x39 does have better ballistics compared to the 7.62 and is a very flat shooting round. I wouldn't think using it as a DMR would be practical, seeing as it would loose a lot of power out to 600 yards. But just maybe as a 1 to 400 yard mini super fast DMR. I'm guessing with a 3-9x40 scope with the super low recoil of ak74 you can get some pretty quick shots on target out to 2 or 300 yards no problem. Anyways, just my thoughts on this, might even become a project.
    Gun Zone Deals

Steve M

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2011
    Central Texas
    For some historical context, the East Germans did indeed field an AK-74 with a nice Zeiss-Jena 4x optic in what we would call a DMR role. These optics are really clear and crisp, and calibrated for 5.45 7n6 bullet drop. You can find them on auction sites from time to time, known as ZFK4.

Here's one, not mine: Zeiss GERMAN SNIPER SCOPE ZFK 4X25 AK 74 : Scopes at GunBroker.com

Normally they go for about $400, which a lot of guys balk at because they are surplus. But if you were to buy this scope new today it would be $800+, and it comes with a siderail mount.

Now the East Germans planned on getting hits out to 800m with this setup, but what kind of ballistic result you are going to have at that range is questionable.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Normally they go for about $400, which a lot of guys balk at because they are surplus. But if you were to buy this scope new today it would be $800+, and it comes with a siderail mount.

Just show them what a Zeiss-Hensoldt sells for ... but then again, most Comblock fans are in it because it's cheap ... not for the quality.

jr urbina

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2010
    CenTex
    A post from Gabe Suarez on his forum:

ACOGs and AKs
    Yesterday I picked up my new Rifle Dynamics AK. It is an AK105, with the shorter barrel, muzzle device and side folder. It also has top rails....an Ultimak (for which I have plans that cannot yet be disclosed) and the new Texas Weapon Systems top cover.

At almost the same time, the UPS driver delivered our order from Trijicon and it contained the Trijicon TA33-R-8. The TA-60 mount that comes n it is too tall so we quickly switched that for an ADM B2.

The ACOG went on the top cover like it was made for it. The sight hole in the ACOG (traditionally there for mounting on the M16 carry handle) sat low enough to be used as a rear "ghost ring" sight. Yet with a slight shifting of cheekweld, you are looking through the ACOG. Very nice, albeit unintentional feature.

I have not had a chance to shoot this yet but in dry handling drills I am quite impressed with the comobination. This is not for those on tight budgets (the RD Rifle being about $1200, and the ACOG going for about $1000) but for those with flexible financing, it may just be the ultimate expression of the Kalashnikov Platform.

Pics and range report to follow.

Mikewood

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Houston
    The AK-47 does it's job very well without a scope.
    A scope could help it do it's job better but you have to get a good mount.
    The great thing about the AK is you can see the battlefield. Head up, looking thru the front sight and over the barrel. You can get great hits while not loosing anything behind or around extra crap. Add a scope and you add crap. You can look around and thru it but I think an unobstructed view is better.

Steve M

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2011
    Central Texas
    Yesterday I picked up my new Rifle Dynamics AK. It is an AK105, with the shorter barrel, muzzle device and side folder. It also has top rails....an Ultimak (for which I have plans that cannot yet be disclosed) and the new Texas Weapon Systems top cover.
    Hmmm...he's basically got an all-rail top end between that TWS top cover and the Ultimak. I'm thinking PVS-22 or TaNS night optic with that ACOG if he thinks he can sell to the "flexible financing" crowd. That would be a great set up.

jr urbina

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2010
    CenTex
    The AK-47 does it's job very well without a scope.
    A scope could help it do it's job better but you have to get a good mount.
    The great thing about the AK is you can see the battlefield. Head up, looking thru the front sight and over the barrel. You can get great hits while not loosing anything behind or around extra crap. Add a scope and you add crap. You can look around and thru it but I think an unobstructed view is better.

I agree 100% with your thoughts on the AK sights, but with the 5.45x39 the OP is asking about, a scope can very well extend his ability to get hits at distance.

cuate

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Comanche Co., Texas
    Eyesight factors in, I have a WASR that I shoot out back across an old dry tank and with the scope mounted on the side rail its a hit if the crosshair are laid on the desired can, rock, or whatever. The scope, Leapers fairly cheap 4x.....No I haven't tried it at 300 or 400 yds., too many trees and brush. I did change the rear iron sight to a Mojo peep type...Military sight picture I like, not the fastest but I like...Were I going somewhere hunting and there would be serious thought in bringing home some game, I do have a Ruger .243, scoped nicely that would suffice for deer. Or Dad's old Winchester Mod 1895 30-06....

jr urbina

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2010
    CenTex
    A post from Gabe Suarez on his forum:

ACOGs and AKs

At almost the same time, the UPS driver delivered our order from Trijicon and it contained the Trijicon TA33-R-8. The TA-60 mount that comes n it is too tall so we quickly switched that for an ADM B2.

The ACOG went on the top cover like it was made for it. The sight hole in the ACOG (traditionally there for mounting on the M16 carry handle) sat low enough to be used as a rear "ghost ring" sight. Yet with a slight shifting of cheekweld, you are looking through the ACOG. Very nice, albeit unintentional feature.

I have not had a chance to shoot this yet but in dry handling drills I am quite impressed with the comobination. This is not for those on tight budgets (the RD Rifle being about $1200, and the ACOG going for about $1000) but for those with flexible financing, it may just be the ultimate expression of the Kalashnikov Platform.

Pics and range report to follow.

2b74c299.jpg

Angered_Kabar

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Kansas City :(
    Side mounted trijicon reflex. That's what I'm talking about.

Most of the pictures of an AK with a reflex mount it on the gas tube. Don't know if that's easier or if mounting it above the dust cover on a side mount rail would be too close to your eye.

Steve M

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2011
    Central Texas

Most of the pictures of an AK with a reflex mount it on the gas tube. Don't know if that's easier or if mounting it above the dust cover on a side mount rail would be too close to your eye.
    That's not a side rail mount. He's got one of those Texas Weapon Systems Railed Top Covers on there. Among other advantages you can still fold the sidefolding stock with the optic attached, whereas a side rail mount will not allow it.

jr urbina

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2010
    CenTex

That ACOG is actually mounted on the Texas Weapon Systems new Dogleg II top cover. The rail is machined into the cover.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Yes, an AK can be a great tool with an added scope.

Most of the "poor accuracy" complaints about the AK platform come from (IMO) are the piss-poor sights that they come with. Put a better sighting solution on the rifle and it's as good as any other primary military arm on the planet.

Top Bottom