• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Phat69

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 17, 2011
    Katy
    I've been thinking of getting the tws mount myself but I'm gonna wait a bit and see what people think after using them for a bit. I wish someone made a rear sight the mounted by the screw in the rear trunnion for fixed stock models. I held a tantal with a houge grip on it and I'm gonna order one tomorrow, it felt great.
    DK Firearms

The Lox

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 6, 2010
    Farmers Branch
    I've been thinking of getting the tws mount myself but I'm gonna wait a bit and see what people think after using them for a bit. I wish someone made a rear sight the mounted by the screw in the rear trunnion for fixed stock models. I held a tantal with a houge grip on it and I'm gonna order one tomorrow, it felt great.

I am pretty sure they have what you are looking for here..

Tech-SIGHTS Precision Shooting Accessories

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I assembled an AK with a side mount scope and was not thrilled with it. This was with the expectation of using it in a 200 yard match. The rifle never got to the point where it could be competitive except against other AK's. What did help was purchasing an RPK peep type rear sight with windage adjustment. The going rate is about $35 and it really improves the sight picture! The distance markings on the sight bar were not correct but it shot pretty well.

Continuing in my quest, I asked the guys at the Houston area AK building company if we could assemble a match worthy AK. The reply was "Only if you went with a milled receiver." So....I took the experts at their word and put that stamped receiver project to rest.

The AK is a terrific rifle for what it is designed to do. Trying to turn it into a match rifle is a bad plan.

Flash

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I'm familiar with the Tech Sights but I was referring to the RPK machine gun which was developed from the AK-74. The sight from that MG will fit right into the AK sight frame. I have two of those. They are all metal and one is a peep and the other is a groove sight. Both are adjustable for windage. I've also noticed some aftermarket units that look the the RPK sights. It looks like they're plastic.

Flash

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    IIRC, the RPK used a notch rear sight that was adjustable for range and windage (unlike the regular sight that was only range adjustable). I've never seen an issue peep.

I do like the Mojo peep sight for the AK, though.

Saltyag2010

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    Flour Bluff, America
    Wasn't talking about the ACOG.

YUGOM70.jpg
    I like that set up. I'm going with the ultimak also. I've got an arsenal 104fr in 5.45. I've ordered the magpul zhukov handguard so that I can hold it without gloves and reach out further. I'm planning on ordering the ultimak in a few months and then the optic around October or so.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    It's the gun, not the caliber! The ballistics of the 7.62x39 are OK if one realizes they are basically dealing with a round that is comparable to a 30-30, etc. I have a CZ527 in 7.62x39. It's a small bolt action carbine with a 2x8 VX3 Leupold mounted on it. With my handloads even I can get 1" groups at 100 yds (sometimes better, sometimes worse). The set trigger helps a great deal also even though the regular trigger is very good.

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I posted about 4 years ago and a lot has changed. Got two cataracts forming and still see pretty well except for reading small print or for aligning iron sights. Had to convert my rifles (including AK's and AR's) to optical sights or quit shooting them.

The AK's do pretty well at 50 and 100 yards and are still battle worthy at 200 yards. Putting a scope on an AK will not turn the rifle into a match rifle. Scoping an AK will NOT make it shoot competitively with the AR rifles. NO way on Earth!

Flash

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    what do you mean by competitively Flash?

Competition shooting was a huge part of my life for almost 8 years at 200-600 yards. I had 4 matches per month to shoot at various clubs and ran the wheels off of my car doing that!

If things got boring, we would try virtually any rifle in the matches and surprisingly, even 22LR rifles at 200 did very well! One friend shot an UZI and another shot a Spanish "Destroyer" rifle in 9MM! We would try anything!

I won first & second place ribbons with a bone stock Yugo SKS. I rigged a GI sling from the bottom instead of the side with a Velcro strip (which caught on fire). Rapid fire stages (with mandatory reload) were accomplished with stripper clips.

Yes...I meant competitive shooting. I once offered an AK specialty place in Houston a blank check to build me an AK that would shoot competitively at 200 yards. They said it couldn't be done with a stamped receiver. Those receivers were extremely scarce, so I let that one go.

A GOOD AK will shoot a 12" group at 200 but that's not gonna win. Lined up with AR's on the 200 yard firing line, AK's will get their asses handed to them. AR's are inherently accurate and AK's are.....well.....Not!

A good AK will do OK against other AK's at 200 yards but even an average AR will kick the crap out of an AK at 200.

Let's not even consider an AK/AR match at 600 yards! We tried that and it resembles a "lobbing in" of the AK rounds. In fact, we shot up the lane markers at the club in trying to get on the 600 yard paper.

I shot service rifle class with iron sights at 200 & 600 yards and know what that rifle will do. I LOVE the AK rifles, but comparing their accuracy to an AR is silly!

I scoped some AK's only because of my cataracts. They will never be match rifles.

Flash

Last edited:

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Just to note, this thread was about the AK-74 which shoots the 5.45x39, a completely different animal than the AK-47's 7.62x39. It is more like the 5.56/.223 in that it has a faster, flatter trajectory whereas the 7.62 will tend to tumble thus being more destructive. Many Russian special forces and police teams are moving back to the 7.62x39 round as they feel it is more effective...

Texasslinger

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2012
    houston
    Just to note, this thread was about the AK-74 which shoots the 5.45x39, a completely different animal than the AK-47's 7.62x39. It is more like the 5.56/.223 in that it has a faster, flatter trajectory whereas the 7.62 will tend to tumble thus being more destructive. Many Russian special forces and police teams are moving back to the 7.62x39 round as they feel it is more effective...

well put major, well put

I was looking at an ar build with a 545x39
    seems some folks at the range never "heard of this round" though through a buffer tube some bulk russian ammo may not be best for a precision ar rifle
    scrapped that plan...

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    a completely different animal than the AK-47's
    That's not accurate.

It's the same rifle in a different caliber. The bolt has a lightening cut on the left side, a few other minor changes were made to the magazine and of course, to the bore. There is a groove cut on each side of the buttstock to identify it as a 5.45.

Ballistic results should have been similar but the 5.45 turned out to be far less effective than expected.

Sorry to intrude. Party on.

Flash

Last edited:
    Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Love to shoot
    Top Bottom