• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    I shoot 1000yds with my 10x Leupold Mk4. The clarity is amazing. I can see the target better with that Leupold at 10x than I can with my Nikon Monarch at 16x.

At 1000 yards, I would not be able to spot the target to know which way to point the scope! ;)

Savage20

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2015
    135 Los Gatos Rd
    Same here. At 300 yards, my 10x Nightforce barely gets the job done.

I'm not saying you can track your holes at 1000yds. Not even close. But I can ring a stop sign sized piece of steel with regularity.

I've taken shots at medium game out to about 300yds with my 1-5 Weaver. I didn't feel like I was lacking in optics. A lot of it is personal preference; by no means am I saying I'm a better shot than anyone, because I'm not. lol

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    I'm not saying you can track your holes at 1000yds. Not even close. But I can ring a stop sign sized piece of steel with regularity.

I've taken shots at medium game out to about 300yds with my 1-5 Weaver. I didn't feel like I was lacking in optics. A lot of it is personal preference; by no means am I saying I'm a better shot than anyone, because I'm not. lol

I was not being critical of anyone at all. I am just saying at 1000 yards, my old eyes would not be able to see the target. Forget the holes... I can't see those at 25 yards.

Major Kong

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    Katy
    Don't overlook Primary Arms stuff.

They are a Texas (Houston) based company, and I have read/heard nothing but good things about their scopes. They ain't that expensive neither.

Sent from a B-52 flying over Russia.

rushthezeppelin

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Cedar Park

They are a Texas (Houston) based company, and I have read/heard nothing but good things about their scopes. They ain't that expensive neither.

If you want a well built, affordable red dot this is the way to go. Otherwise spend a bit more if you want a variable, you will thank yourself for the purchase when you are shooting/hunting at dusk to have the good glass.

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2011
    Heart of Texas
    For a little more $ than the Bushnell you can get the Nikon P-223 3 - 9 x 40mm BDC with zero resert. Excellent scope for the $.

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW

These guys are good and have a ton of stuff at their store. I would look at buying a used Leupold 3x9x40 Vari-X 2 They start around $300 new and used they should be around $200 or a little less depending upon how many dents and scratches it has. As long as the tube is clear of dents the appearance shouldn't matter. I've seen guys that have bought top dollar glass that previously had the body all scratched up for pennies because it didn't look good. Get a can of epoxy paint and camo it or something. Then go look for a ARmalite base/mount with the correct ring diameter (there's a difference between 30mm and 1") on eBay or wherever and you're GTG. ARmalite makes one of the toughest and true scope mounts on the market with no need to lap.

Make sure to come back and post what you did.

Armalite Mount 1 Piece Base Fits 1" Tube Medium Rings Matte Finish EX0027 | eBay

They're $89 buck straight from the factory(!) and you can pick exactly what you want. Look through the rest of the site since something might be on sale. ARmalite has sales where they slash prices on select items for a "loss leader" way of getting people to loo through their website. I have picked up some awesome stuff on sale for 50% off. I especially like their brakes when they are 50% off and have outfitted many rifles with them Very affective muzzle device.

Scope Mounts

Last edited:

wile-e-coyote

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 11, 2015
    I'm a little late to the party but I'd like to throw in my (inflation adjusted) $.02

Bushnell as a brand is fine. Their glass is competitive with other glass in the price range. I like their Elite 3200 & 4200 scopes a lot. Do you smell a......

....but I would not ever buy a scope marketed as "tactical" that uses tactical turrets for anywhere near this price. Here's why: Sure the glass may be clear and bright looking (until you compare it to a real LR/T scope) in the store, but what are you looking at? Probably something no farther away than 50 yards, if that. Look at objects at 500 yards and you see why the scope is so cheap. Then there are the turrets. It takes high quality engineering, machining and metals to make a turret that you can twist up 5 to 10 feet of bullet drop on AND return to the starting point and still be on zero.

These two reasons are why people pay $1000 and up for good glass. It's because the cheaper scopes just don't do what they need them to. If they did, nobody would buy the expensive glass.

If you just want to zero at 100 yards and never shoot at anything farther than 300 yards, you can absolutely get by just fine with a budget scope, but forget the tactical turreted models, they're just for posers

Last edited:

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    OT Warning
    I was not being critical of anyone at all. I am just saying at 1000 yards, my old eyes would not be able to see the target. Forget the holes... I can't see those at 25 yards.
    I spent two days in a shooting class with Brian Zins (multi-time U.S. pistol champ) about a month ago. The guy could see all my .22 bullet holes at 25 yards without optical aid. He'd stop, tell me the shape of my group and why it was the way it was, then move on down the line. I'd look through the scope and see exactly what he had just described.

Some are blessed.

GDWTX

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 3, 2014
    South Texas
    I have two of the "AR" type busnhells. They are very bright and clear, adjustments are better than the Leupy VX3 that I have. Don't have a lot of rounds shot with them, but so far they are holding zero. One is on an AR, the other on a .17 HMR, so not exposed to a lot of recoil. Good starter scopes? Yes, but save your money and get something better down the road if you want,,,,and you WILL want, :)

Top Bottom