• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sam75022

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 5, 2022
    texas
    Is this barrel considered shot out? I have gotten my hands on borescope last week and took below video. This is my favorite hunting rifle with only 500 round count. Its Sako 7mm Rem Mag with medium palma barrel .87at muzzle. For the 500 round shot, I did not abuse and let it cool between 3-5 strings and never got it so hot that I could not touch the barrel. Really surprised to see these firecrackings...

Lynx Defense

Sam75022

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 5, 2022
    texas
    It's fine. The jacket fouling fillls in the imperfections so accuracy will not suffer.
    Thanks for feedback. I guess as long as it’s holding minute of hunt it should be fine. This borescope is really freaking me out…. Might have to return them so I can sleep at night. :(

GeorgeS

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 7, 2018
    San Antonio
    Ha! Had you 'scoped it prior to shooting it, you might have dismayed by the condition of a new barrel.

I always wait a minute between shots when shooting magnum rifle cartridges; it helps preserve the throat.

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    Teslong strikes again. You should see my SKS. If I had the scope when I bought it I would have asked for a $200 price drop. Will post some pix if anyone cares.

Sam75022

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 5, 2022
    texas
    Teslong strikes again. You should see my SKS. If I had the scope when I bought it I would have asked for a $200 price drop. Will post some pix if anyone cares.
    Please do. It might make me feel better that it’s not only my barrel that looks like crap :)

Sam75022

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 5, 2022
    texas
    Doubtful a 7mm Mag will get "shot out" in 500 rounds, looks like it just needs a good cleaning.
    I guess scope does not lie as I thought my gun cleaning technique was adequate but apparently not so…

What is your cleaning regimen and what solvents do you guys normally use? Do you clean after every range session or when groups start to widen? Use nylon or brass brush?

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    Share what you know with bore scoping. It's just what you showed us isn't going to hurt your gun. You gotta remember it's a production gun. QC aint gotta go so far as to make your barrel several thousand dollars.

Mike_from_Texas

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    North Texas
    Share what you know with bore scoping. It's just what you showed us isn't going to hurt your gun. You gotta remember it's a production gun. QC aint gotta go so far as to make your barrel several thousand dollars.

Yep good example of why you shoot foulers if trying to zero or tune a load. The copper will fill in the imperfections.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    I guess scope does not lie as I thought my gun cleaning technique was adequate but apparently not so…

What is your cleaning regimen and what solvents do you guys normally use? Do you clean after every range session or when groups start to widen? Use nylon or brass brush?

Vast majority of the time, when someone thinks a barrel is shpt out, it probably just needs a good cleaning of copper or lead fouling. I use several different bore solvents, depending on the rifle and the loads used. I always clean after every shooting session, regardless of round count fired. I use mainly brass brushes for cleaning. Clean until the bore is cleaned.

zackmars

Novice Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    Vast majority of the time, when someone thinks a barrel is shpt out, it probably just needs a good cleaning of copper or lead fouling. I use several different bore solvents, depending on the rifle and the loads used. I always clean after every shooting session, regardless of round count fired. I use mainly brass brushes for cleaning. Clean until the bore is cleaned.
    I have a strong suspicion that most barrels have been over cleaned, vs being "shot out"

You shouldn't touch the barrel until you notice a drop off in accuracy

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    I just use a bore snake after each range use or once a couple months just for corrosion. I have not actually scrubbed a bore in a long time and nothing has indicated I need to.

Top Bottom