Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Things that don't really matter will drive you nuts.
    Everything matters.

The problem is figuring out if a thing matters enough to care about.

Most people will never know the difference between the OP's bore and any other.

Benchrest shooters who are trying to shave 0.01" off a 100-yard group would use that barrel for a tomato stake.

It all depends on your perspective.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    Everything matters.

The problem is figuring out if a thing matters enough to care about.

Most people will never know the difference between the OP's bore and any other.

Benchrest shooters who are trying to shave 0.01" off a 100-yard group would use that barrel for a tomato stake.

It all depends on your perspective.
    While everything you said is true, It's a production gun and barrel under a certain price point. Also, it doesn't really matter, and as to my reasoning, unless you build a gun yourself or have a smith build one, why drive yourself nuts? Indeed it's all about perspective. Now if I paid a few thousand for a production gun...I'm going to expect results. IMO you're better off on the wallet finding someone with a lathe, learning how to use it, and put your own bolt action together for said results. I'm leaning on doing this again being shilen is 10 minutes up the road. Though I can't make my own brake this time. No mill access. (Brakes are cheap but it's cool to build something and say you made it).

I have been a lot more accepting of bigger groups with production guns. If I wanted BR results, I'd make my own rifle again. Never should have gotten rid of it. But if you gotta eat you gotta eat.

Rambling aside, ten though off at 100 yards can be things other than rifling. I look at all this from a machining perspective. A batch of parts will be close to the same, depending on who makes em. But even with the best automated machining, chips, coolant, cutter comp/heat; nothing is ever truly the same finished product. Like I said if I paid thousands...I'd expect a certain level of QC, but I do not expect perfection. That's a sales word.

Last edited:

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    And I'm not suggestion other opinions don't matter. Older I get, the less I care about things that don't apply to the task at hand. I'm not on a shooting team. I'm not in the military or on a PD needing to make amazing shots. If what you can afford is a sub 800.00 (now 1,200.00 thanks Joe) gun, and you will hunt deer or pop a coon, don't get caught up in OCD. And I only say that because I have been there...OCD sucks.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I look at all this from a machining perspective. A batch of parts will be close to the same, depending on who makes em. But even with the best automated machining, chips, coolant, cutter comp/heat; nothing is ever truly the same finished product.
    Yep. That's why the most-named member of the Benchrest Hall of Fame used to buy 30 or 40 barrels at the beginning of every season. He'd test them all and find 2 or 3 that, for reasons no one will ever (IMO) be able to explain, performed just a tiny bit better than the others.

His cast-offs were better barrels than I'll ever need for anything.

Just a matter of perspective.

G O B

School of Hard Knocks and Sharp blows
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Hays Co.
    If it bugs you, run a wet patch with some bartender's friend or FFFF valve compound thru it a few times and polish it shiny!
    Problem is that it is just as likely to open the spread as it is to close it.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    Yep. That's why the most-named member of the Benchrest Hall of Fame used to buy 30 or 40 barrels at the beginning of every season. He'd test them all and find 2 or 3 that, for reasons no one will ever (IMO) be able to explain, performed just a tiny bit better than the others.

His cast-offs were better barrels than I'll ever need for anything.

Just a matter of perspective.
    That guys knowledge would be something else. I'd like to know what he has learned. I haven't concerned myself with what goes on inside the barrel other than reaming, crown, harmonics, and receiver rigidity. I won't list boring and rifling because I didn't do it very much. At best I am master of many trades but not really an expert on one thing. I have an opinion on what makes a rifle accurate but that point of view is only from my perspective.

Maverick44

Youngest old man on TGT.
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I guess scope does not lie as I thought my gun cleaning technique was adequate but apparently not so…

What is your cleaning regimen and what solvents do you guys normally use? Do you clean after every range session or when groups start to widen? Use nylon or brass brush?

Don't overthink the cleaning. Some people get religious with that stuff. I don't know how good of a shooter you are, or what size groups your gun is capable of, but unless you are one of those shooters Ben talked about, don't worry about it. It's hard to go wrong with Hoppes and whatever oil you have handy, or just straight CLP if it just needs a good wipe down.

Run wet patches though it with a jag until it's clean, or clean enough. Follow up with a dry patch or two.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Sam75022

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 5, 2022
    texas
    Don't overthink the cleaning. Some people get religious with that stuff. I don't know how good of a shooter you are, or what size groups your gun is capable of, but unless you are one of those shooters Ben talked about, don't worry about it. It's hard to go wrong with Hoppes and whatever oil you have handy, or just straight CLP if it just needs a good wipe down.

Run wet patches though it with a jag until it's clean, or clean enough. Follow up with a dry patch or two.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk
    Thanks and like everyone is saying, I understand it’s not big issue since I am not in competition shooting.

I am not at any stretch of imagination elite shooter and my factory guns shoots far better than the nut behind the gun.

It’s just my semi stubborn OCD personality…. Just re-cleaned 6 of guns over the weekend and had to re-order bore tech carbon and copper remover as I ran out. :)

Mike_from_Texas

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    North Texas
    Thanks and like everyone is saying, I understand it’s not big issue since I am not in competition shooting.

I am not at any stretch of imagination elite shooter and my factory guns shoots far better than the nut behind the gun.

It’s just my semi stubborn OCD personality…. Just re-cleaned 6 of guns over the weekend and had to re-order bore tech carbon and copper remover as I ran out. :)

Don’t look at my rifles if you are that OCD about it.

They still shoot pretty good though.

27afc3fbf2599044a508812fca299b36.jpg

0af58ee04e028976498e9a44ea058b3e.jpg

1658865bdf3e76069c2bc0fc820bae05.jpg

8d1769f509448fa2c69de345f0474b31.jpg

544cb04f3292b75d1b074ea91827cf2f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    Please do. It might make me feel better that it’s not only my barrel that looks like crap :)
    Tried to post a video directly but couldn't. Here is a pix, not as bad as I remembered.

Attachments

• IMG_0001.JPG
      IMG_0001.JPG
      135 KB · Views: 58
    • vlcsnap-2022-09-11-17h50m45s787.png
      vlcsnap-2022-09-11-17h50m45s787.png
      371.6 KB · Views: 62
    • vlcsnap-2022-09-11-17h51m03s797.png
      vlcsnap-2022-09-11-17h51m03s797.png
      369.8 KB · Views: 44
    • vlcsnap-2022-09-11-17h51m16s701.png
      vlcsnap-2022-09-11-17h51m16s701.png
      295.8 KB · Views: 60

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas

Sam75022

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 5, 2022
    texas
    Tried to post a video directly but couldn't. Here is a pix, not as bad as I remembered.
    I had to post to YouTube and attaching link For mine. Also you would need 35/45 degree angled borescope to see better. It’s not bad at this angle.

Sam75022

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 5, 2022
    texas
    Read up on David Tubb and products.

Might have to try this on my scar 20s. See below borescope video… looks like chrome lining is splitting just above chamber. Again don’t know if it’s bore tech copper solvent that split the lining or barrel came out of factory like this.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    Might have to try this on my scar 20s. See below borescope video… looks like chrome lining is splitting just above chamber. Again don’t know if it’s bore tech copper solvent that split the lining or barrel came out of factory like this.

Eh...Just shoot the gun. All I see is a high priced FN with Romanian QC plating.

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    I had to post to YouTube and attaching link For mine. Also you would need 35/45 degree angled borescope to see better. It’s not bad at this angle.
    Yup. Was too lazy to put the mirrors on. Actually the bore looked better than I remembered.

Sam75022

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 5, 2022
    texas
    Eh...Just shoot the gun. All I see is a high priced FN with Romanian QC plating.
    That’s the irony of this expensive FN barrel, I will end up rebarreling with bartlein or shilen SS someday instead of paying 1500 for FN‘s chrome lined replacement barrel.

Top Bottom