Is Wal Mart dropping their ammo sales?

TxPhantom

Apr 5, 2008
Frisco, Texas
I buy most of my range ammo at Wal Mart, usually WWB. I bought some ammo there just before Christmas and noticed their ammo shelves were sorta sparce. The sales clerk said they hadn't had a delivery yet but would soon. Yesterday I bought another box of WWB 9mm and their shelves were almost bare. The clerk (a different one) said he had noticed a big run on the ammo dept. but he didn't normally work that dept.
Am I being paranoid or is Wal Mart bending over for the P.C. Brady Bunch nut cases?

jart

Dec 4, 2008
We were told that only two WM's in SA would keep ammo and long guns. They also said that they were down sizing the entire sporting department.

djspump2003

Oct 19, 2008
Austin
I think the answer to your question is a big YES. Once Wal-Mart stopped selling pistols you knew it wouldn't be long before they bent over for the rest of the anti-gun crowd. I'm just waiting for places like Academy to go the same route.

JKTex

Well-Known
Mar 11, 2008
DFW, North Texas
Wal-Mart isn't about anti gun or anything else, they're about $$$$$. If they don't see sporting goods, hand guns, long guns, ammo etc. as financially effective for them, they'll drop them.

Also, each store has quite a bit of flexibility to run it as needed to compete with the market they are in direct competition with, the stores across the street, around the corner etc. It's how they can kill other businesses if it'll make money.

Our local, and brand new high end Wal-Mart (is that an oxi-moron or what? ) finally got ammo in stock. It's low right now but no sign of dropping it. They'll adjust inventory for the "local" market though. However, I'm not sure this "local" market will support it very well. The Dick's across the street only sells sporting shotgun loads. I'll be 90% of those shells will be fired at clays and targets.

That's my theory anyway. And you'll never get ot the truth through floor employees. You'll have to get to the people driving the Mercede's and BMW's that hide behind hidden walls and 1 way glass looking over you.

idleprocess

Feb 29, 2008
DFW.com
Wal-Mart isn't about anti gun or anything else, they're about $$$$$. If they don't see sporting goods, hand guns, long guns, ammo etc. as financially effective for them, they'll drop them.
You are making too much sense. Please cease immediately so the paranoid can cultivate their paranoia.

I will say that occasionally a store will bow to pressure such as K-Mart famously did, but I think that was at the threat of a boycott and maybe Rosie O'Donnell's threat to pull products or something that meant more to them than gun and ammo sales.

Ruggles

Nov 24, 2008
No bending over to the anti gun folks at all, we simply can not get as much ammo as we would like to sell. Just like most retail involving firearms our sales in ammo have risen greatly in the past couple of months. It's the same story with the Nintendo Wii right now, we could sell dozens a day but only get in 15 or so a week.

The supply chains can be long and complex sometimes and it can really hurt the store in all departments. Right now we can not get a number of bagged dog foods in, and we are having issue in getting in certain brands of liquid dish soap.

lonewolf23c

Oct 2, 2008
Idaho
The Walmarts in my area still have rifles, shotguns, and very very scarce ammo selections.

I was just at Cabelas a couple days ago, and their ammo selection shelves were about bare. Between the pre-Obama times, and the Holidays they've been running out of popular calibers.

cajunautoxer

Well-Known
Sep 8, 2008
Houston
The Wally World near me has all their carrying cases on clearance now

Sponsors

Greeneye Tactical
Texas Gun Forum Ad
silencers
third coast
Ranier
Tyrant Designs