Issues with Monarch .45 ACP?

miller.kenneth.1991

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jul 3, 2021
US
Hello, new poster here.

Several years ago, I inherited my great grandfather's Colt single action .45 revolver. I was given two cylinders along with it; one for .45 LC and one for .45 ACP. I've kept the ACP cylinder in it, as the ammunition is easier to find and cheaper to buy.

In the ten years or so that I've had the revolver, I've fired close to 300 rounds of ACP thru it with no issues at all. Today, I was at Academy and they (finally) had some .45 ACP in stock. It was Monarch brand steel case, which I've found out is only sold by academy. Upon arriving home, I attempted to load my revolver and ran into a problem. The rounds won't seat into the cylinder completely, and stick out just far enough to keep the cylinder from rotating.

I know that it's an old gun, but I've never had this happen before. I've used ACP rounds from Winchester, Remington, Federal and Hornandy, and never had any problems. Those were all brass case, but I'm not sure if it would make a difference.

I'm a little irritated, as I'm now sitting on 100 rounds of .45 ACP that I can't fire. I'm likely going to hang on to them, but if I'd known in advance, I wouldn't have spent the money.

Has anyone had any similar issues? Any advice or explanation?

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk

gll

Well-Known
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jan 22, 2016
Can you mic the case and overall lengths of a couple rounds?

Have you tried rounds from both boxes?

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
Lifetime Member
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Oct 4, 2013
Gunz are icky.
Thoroughly clean the chambers in the cylinder.
Steel cases have a coating on them to prevent rust. This coating might be a bit overdone on your ammo.
More than likely this is what is preventing the cases from seating properly.
Any fouling in the cylinder and/or the coating could cause binding of the round.

miller.kenneth.1991

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jul 3, 2021
US
Thoroughly clean the chambers in the cylinder.
Steel cases have a coating on them to prevent rust. This coating might be a bit overdone on your ammo.
More than likely this is what is preventing the cases from seating properly.
Any fouling in the cylinder and/or the coating could cause binding of the round.
I'll give that a try later tonight or tomorrow morning. I keep it pretty clean, but I'll double check just in case. I'll be as happy as the proverbial clam if I can get these rounds to seat. The old gal hadn't been fired in a long time and she needs a few rounds run thru her.

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk

BeatTheTunaUp

Fux with the best, Die like the rest
TGT Supporter
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Oct 17, 2012
Temple TX
For sure, follow the above advice. I can offer my experience with monarch. I've shot thousands of rnds in different calibers and have honestly never had an issue. At least 500 rnds of monarch 45 has cycled fine in a 1911 and xdm. That said, anything can happen and can be made out of spec. Hope it works out for you.

gll

Well-Known
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jan 22, 2016
Mic the rim and base diameters, too...
Screenshot_20210703-185441_Google.jpg

no2gates

Defund Gun Control !
TGT Supporter
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Aug 31, 2013
Grand Prairie, TX
I haven't shot much of it (only 1 box), but out of 2 different 1911's I've shot it out of, it was just fine.

Top Bottom